Merged 2X: Dolphins begin preliminary talks with wide receiver Chris Chambers | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged 2X: Dolphins begin preliminary talks with wide receiver Chris Chambers

ckparrothead said:
The problem there is that Chambers > Ogunleye means Chambers $$$ > Ogunleye $$$. If the Dolphins let it be known that their priority is Chambers over Ogun because they feel he's more valuable, his agent will jump all over that and start demanding more money than Ogun. His agent has always insisted that Chambers will command lots of $$$ on the open market and I think he's right...and the problem is that unlike Ogun, Chambers is all too willing to play out this year, risk the injury, and have a breakout year in order to get that green on the other side. That makes things tougher in their own way because whereas Rosenhaus is holding onto negotiations like a pit bull, and trying to force the DOLPHINS into a contract, Chambers agent could close shop at any moment of negotiations and be like "Nah, lets just see how the season plays out" with a big smile on his face as he knows that Chambers will have a huge year and either force the franchise tag on him or get a big $12 million signing bonus.

If a good number of the recievers from last years draft actually work out the market will be saturated with good wide recievers. There is a chance that Chambers will want to do the deal this year, with the knowledge that if enough recievers have good rookie years, the demand for wide reciever will be down.

If Miami signs Chambers this year, they most likelt need to also extend someone like RW or Surtain to do so. If not, then most of Chambers bonus money will come in 2005 or later

Clumpy said:
If Miami signs Chambers this year, they most likelt need to also extend someone like RW or Surtain to do so. If not, then most of Chambers bonus money will come in 2005 or later
Is that really a bad thing?

Clumpy said:
Not necessarily. Just FYI.
You being the cap guy, I didn't know if that had any later ramifications.
If a later bonus were the case, I don't think Chambers would really have a problem with it. He seems to be pretty level headed and big on the team thing.

You will always take garunteed money!!! Chambers will sign in this offseason for A LITTLE BIT less then what he thinks he could get next year, due to security of a long term contract. If he were to get injured, then he gets nothing more than this years salary. If he signs before or during TC, he will probably have an escalator after 2-3 years.....in the form of roster bonus or voidability. Similar to what Kurt Warner signed. The Rams signed him to a smaller signing bonus, with a roster bonus 2 years later. That made it so they would have more cap room the year they signed him.

Hey Aggie didn't Chambers play last year, look what happen, eight in the box.
Look at the Pats, who compares to Chambers, nobody, but they do have a balanced group with a QB that can get the ball in their hands, balance is what we need, but until the QB can deliver I don't believe Chambers is that valuable, look at his stats they are nothing special.

fin13 said:
Hey Aggie didn't Chambers play last year, look what happen, eight in the box.
Look at the Pats, who compares to Chambers, nobody, but they do have a balanced group with a QB that can get the ball in their hands, balance is what we need, but until the QB can deliver I don't believe Chambers is that valuable, look at his stats they are nothing special.
Nothing special?

11TDs in an offense that blew for most of the year with poor QB play and no reciever opposite him to help him out with dbl coverage is pretty impressive to me. Not to mention the fact that Jay missed him on like 5-6 bombs where there wasn't a db near him. If Jay completes 3 of those passes Chambers breaks 1000yds with at least 11TDs. I'll take those numbers from my 1WR all day as long as I have a 2 that can get more than DT did last year. We have Boston now so I don't think he'll be seeing half the dbls he saw last year. Chambers is sick man...stop playing him down like he's average or something.

DoLpHiNz34 said:
Nothing special?

11TDs in an offense that blew for most of the year with poor QB play and no reciever opposite him to help him out with dbl coverage is pretty impressive to me. Not to mention the fact that Jay missed him on like 5-6 bombs where there wasn't a db near him. If Jay completes 3 of those passes Chambers breaks 1000yds with at least 11TDs. I'll take those numbers from my 1WR all day as long as I have a 2 that can get more than DT did last year. We have Boston now so I don't think he'll be seeing half the dbls he saw last year. Chambers is sick man...stop playing him down like he's average or something.
Great post. I was going to say the same thing. Chrs Chambers was almost as important as Ricky last year. If he wasnt there, thered literally have been 9 guys in the box at ALL times.

we s/definitely extend Pat and/or RW to get enuf cash to sign CC l-t.

As far as OGun goes, it seems more and more like he will not contribute for us this year. I was a huge mistake to not have traded him before the draft #1 and not have let everyone kno he c/b had for less than a #1 and a #3. I can see us franchise tagging him next year, but not sure if we will have the cap space for that since that w/b about 6.5 mil (source http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1737954 ) Ugly, ugly, ugly :shakeno:

You are missing my point of course he is good but are thinking that he is as important as Ricky.
Are you kidding, think about not having RW, and then tell me what you would expect from Chambers.
My comments are in context of this offence a said if AJ does the job then no doubt he's a force, I don't believe that with Jay as QB I wouldn't put 9 in the box all game long, the problem is getting Chambers the ball and lets face it Jay can't do it consistently. Last year they dared him to do it and he couldn't, that is a fact.
Ricky is the only weapon the Fins have as long as they cannot open the playbook, and if I were Chambers I want to play with a team like KC or INdy.

In my opinion. thats the whole team concept thing. We need them all to be successful. If you have RW running and DB AND CC, what is the defense going to do to gameplan against 'us'. If u stack 8 in the box, you have at least 1 of the 2 w/rcvrs 1 on 1 and even Jay should be able to hit that enough since they both know how to fight for the ball. If they play base, then RW has a shot to do his thing. CC , to me is ALOT more important than AO.

I would rather Keep a defence and look for an efficient QB. I don't believe Jay can do it or even last thru the season so if you want to be in it you need the defence.
Look at Marino no doubt the best ever and yet without a defence he couldn't get it done and he didn't need a running game just D.

fin13 said:
You are missing my point of course he is good but are thinking that he is as important as Ricky.
Are you kidding, think about not having RW, and then tell me what you would expect from Chambers.
My comments are in context of this offence a said if AJ does the job then no doubt he's a force, I don't believe that with Jay as QB I wouldn't put 9 in the box all game long, the problem is getting Chambers the ball and lets face it Jay can't do it consistently. Last year they dared him to do it and he couldn't, that is a fact.
Ricky is the only weapon the Fins have as long as they cannot open the playbook, and if I were Chambers I want to play with a team like KC or INdy.

CC is MORE important because Jay cant get him an accurate ball. He caught 11 0f the 16 td passes last year. Thats almost 70%!! :eek: Most other WRs would not have had at least 4-5 of those. CC had to make circus catches, like the one-hander in the back of the endzone, because Jay is that inaccurate. With Jay's inaccuracy and no CC the oposing D might put all 11 in the box :cry: .

Back
Top Bottom