Merged 3X: Effect of Marlins Winning W. Series / Better hope the Marlins win / etc... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged 3X: Effect of Marlins Winning W. Series / Better hope the Marlins win / etc...

Yeah, seeing how they have just ripped this man's life apart, I would swear these are Boston fans or something. I am now rooting for the scrappy marlins who in a way, remind me of those scrappy '88 Dodgers who won it all against the bigtime Oakland A's. By the way, check out Canseco and McGwire back then, definately some type of enhancements was being used. Check out Bonds to for that matter when with the Pirates. The difference is astounding.

Originally posted by Samphin
Yeah, seeing how they have just ripped this man's life apart, I would swear these are Boston fans or something. I am now rooting for the scrappy marlins who in a way, remind me of those scrappy '88 Dodgers who won it all against the bigtime Oakland A's. By the way, check out Canseco and McGwire back then, definately some type of enhancements was being used. Check out Bonds to for that matter when with the Pirates. The difference is astounding.

:topic:

Originally posted by Kamikaze
Christ, Major League Baseball needs the Cubs-Red Sox series. Everyone in the country will be watching. It's the series EVERYONE wants to see. Even if it's just Cubs-Yankees, EVERYONE will be watching just to see if the Cubs can pull it out. Or, if we end up with Marlins-Red Sox, at least we'll have another opportunity to see the BoSox blow another Game 7. But, Marlins-Yankees? Ick. New York and Florida will like it, but the rest of us will go back to paying attention to football.

Note this is coming from a Cubs fan, but the entire country has been electrified by these playoffs because of the Cubs and Red Sox and a potential World Series for the ages they'd create.

Sorry bud, but you're wrong.

Obviously you've made those comments because you're Chicagin and you love the Cubs. Just like I'll say I believe everybody is watching the playoffs because people also want to see how far the underdog fighting fish will go and what is the fate of a Cinderella team that were told they're not suppose to be there, yet now are living their dreams. Yes, SOME outside of Chicago and Boston are rooting for these teams but definitely not most.

IMO, the country is attentive to these baseball playoffs because of the incredible excitement, or as you put it "electrifying", produced in these games. And who can we thank? The relentless comeback kids of Florida, the sheer power of Sosa's swing, the dueling dynamic pitchers in the Windy City, the overwhelming hate between the Sox and Yanks, then the fights between the Yanks and Sox. Point is... its much more than "we feel bad for the cubs and sox so we're watching the games to see if they win". The playoffs have been unbelievable and the word has spread! 2 Game 7's!

I gotta disagree. I think the ratings would skyrocket if the Red Sox and Cubs made it to the World Series. Reason being is that fans would be witnessing something that hasn't happened in nearly a century. People are tired of the Yankees winnign and the rest of the country doesn't really care about the Marlins. I hate to say it but it is true. No one is talking about the scrappy Marlins and their comebacks. They are talking about The curse of the billy goat and the nerd in the front row "costing" the Cubs the series.

Fans are also talking Beantown Ball as well. I think the least interesting World Series would be the Yankees-Marlins. That is what I want to see, but I don't think the rest of the nation would tune in as much.

I do agree about the playoffs being exciting as all heck this year. Major League Baseball has done themselves a great service in helping mend fences with their fans. They need to just have opening day, than switch immediatly to the playoffs if you ask me. Just put all the teams in a best of five tourney until the the NLCS and ALCS. That would be more exciting if you ask me.

I won't disagree that the excitment produced in the games themselves has drawn a lot of people to watch October baseball this season, but without the underlying theme of a possible World Series for the ages, a Cubs-Red Sox World Series, there would be far fewer people as interested.

Don't get me started on the Marlins being underdogs. The Cubs are the greatest underdogs in baseball history. Get back to us when your team goes on a 95 year drought.

If Marlins lose Tonight..

Will Pro Player stadium be all grass against the Patriots in 5 days??

Anyone know how long it takes for that to happen??

It would not be covered until the Indy game...but it looks like the Marlins are going to the series.

Originally posted by Muck
Wow. The high road just never seems to end!!

ESPN just showed the guy's house being guarded by the cops. And the GOVERNOR of Illinois just coldly said, "If he's ever convicted of a crime, he'll never be pardoned by THIS governor".

What a jerk. The guy sitting next to him just said on ESPN that they couldn't see Alou coming and that there was no way he did it on purpose. But it's not about that. It's about hateful people having a scapegoat.

And the thing is that if he didn't touch it, the guy next to him would have. Actually, the guy sitting next to him came to his defense today.

Originally posted by Samphin
I gotta disagree. I think the ratings would skyrocket if the Red Sox and Cubs made it to the World Series. Reason being is that fans would be witnessing something that hasn't happened in nearly a century. People are tired of the Yankees winnign and the rest of the country doesn't really care about the Marlins. I hate to say it but it is true. No one is talking about the scrappy Marlins and their comebacks. They are talking about The curse of the billy goat and the nerd in the front row "costing" the Cubs the series.

Fans are also talking Beantown Ball as well. I think the least interesting World Series would be the Yankees-Marlins. That is what I want to see, but I don't think the rest of the nation would tune in as much.

I do agree about the playoffs being exciting as all heck this year. Major League Baseball has done themselves a great service in helping mend fences with their fans. They need to just have opening day, than switch immediatly to the playoffs if you ask me. Just put all the teams in a best of five tourney until the the NLCS and ALCS. That would be more exciting if you ask me.

I really want to see Cubs-Red Sox. I haven't been that interested in baseball this year, but if we have Cubs-Red Sox I will be VERY interested.

Marlins 6, Cubs 5...but I hadn't seen the score since it was 1-3

I think it only takes 2 days to turn the field back into grass. If the Marlins lose I firmly believe that we will get our field back.

It's true. Nobody is talking about the Marlins. Watching ESPN from 5-7 PM today, it's all about the other three teams. The only guy to give Florida love was J.A. Adonde on Around the Horn today.

Again, it's not about who's playing great baseball. It's about how pathetic the Red Sox and Cubs organizations have been for the past century. And that is an injustice.

If the media would just look at what's infront of them, they would see that the Marlins are just as good if not a better story than the other two.

#1) The Marlins have overcome the MOST to get where they are. They won it all and then dismantled.....and continue to be dismantled in small increments every season. They are a broke, small-market team (per say). The other three teams are big clubs with plenty of money to spend. That means the Marlins have to scout extremely well and be extremely savvy personel-wise.

#2) The Marlins started something like 16-30. They fired their manager and hired a 72-year old first timer. They brought up numberous rookies from AA. Then from May thru the end of the season, the Marlins had the best record in baseball.

#3) The Marlins are the most resiliant team in the league. And ironically, they are playing the most EXCITING baseball, as they seem to do the impossible every night.

#4) What's more exciting than watching a team that more than likely is playing it's last game together everytime they step on the field?? Whereas the other clubs have money to spend...and retain...the players they want, the Marlins are forced to dismantle...or in this case spend money they don't necessarily have. And as we have been told, the team will likely be forced to choose which 3-4 good players it will let go off again this offseason.

So if you were to ask an educated fan like myself (please refrain from jokes. lol) , who would you rather watch?? The scrappy bunch that is constantly in do-or-die mode (in the truest sense of the phrase)?? Or two classic underachievers who will field the same teams next year if they so choose??

7-5 Marlins

but I hate baseball...im just watching so ill know first hand if we get our field back 100%

Back
Top Bottom