(Merged 4x) Rumor: Dolphins seriously interested in Atogwe | Page 21 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

(Merged 4x) Rumor: Dolphins seriously interested in Atogwe

i just wish somebody us more than most would sign the guy so we at least know who were going to be seeing at starting FS this year. If not him im rooting for the rookie to take the cake although its unlikely.

i just wish somebody us more than most would sign the guy so we at least know who were going to be seeing at starting FS this year. If not him im rooting for the rookie to take the cake although its unlikely.

Looks like it is Chris Clemons job to lose, unless Atogwe is signed.

Eesh, Atogwe is going to be PRICEY given how many teams need help at safety. I think the chances are super slim we match those other teams like the Cowboys.

Eesh, Atogwe is going to be PRICEY given how many teams need help at safety. I think the chances are super slim we match those other teams like the Cowboys.

Jerry does have deep pockets, but there are a few issues. One it seems as if they are in the process of locking up Gerald Sensabaugh to an extension (one of their safeties). And the cowboys have plenty of other EXTREMELY pricey contracts they need to take care of very soon. One of which, Miles Austin. If the cowboys have an internal cap as i would expect every other team who cares about their future to do, the cowboys just like all the other teams who are thinking about a bidding war, will need to decide where to spend their dollars. And im not sure Atogwe is where they will be putting theirs.

I won't really be upset if we don't get Atogwe. If we offer him a lot and lose out, I will be, because it will show that Clemons isn't really ready yet, so the FO went out and tried desperately to get Atogwe and lost out. However, if they offer a contract to Atogwe that isn't too crazy, and he think it's too low, I won't be mad. Then, that shows that the FO has enough faith in Clemons to not throw the kitchen sink at a proven guy to take over the FS spot.

Looks like it is Chris Clemons job to lose, unless Atogwe is signed.
I've been thinking about PLAN B for a while, but waiting as Atogwe is THE Hot Topic.

There's a good chance we would add a Safety at Final Roster Cuts ...
Older Vet = big help
Young Promising Guy = just adding to the mix or upgrade .... to survive & ID the future.

Another thought (as pass rush may also be ave.) ... gutting it out with current players will ID Future & Needs AND will give us a Higher Draft Pick. Not a bad approach as we still have rebuilding to do.

With all the talk about Atogwe, anyone think that Antoine Bethea or even Jarrad Page may also be considered?

Will the Eagles be in play for Otagwe now that Marlin Jackson tore his achilles?

They might not.

pixel-1.gif
NFL_Jackson_small-1.jpg

Eagles FS Marlin Jackson suffered a ruptured Achilles' tendon in his right foot.
The hard-luck Jackson's season is over -- and perhaps his career as well -- after a third major injury in three years. His contract wasn't guaranteed for injury, so he's likely to be released with an injury settlement. Nate Allen was next on the depth chart in Tuesday's practice, but the Eagles may opt not to rush him. Macho Harris can be moved back to safety to compete with Quintin Demps. The Eagles are not expected to pursue O.J. Atogwe regardless.

rotoworld

No way on Bethea, guy has a 1st round tender on him and Miami already contacted indy and were rejected. It is Atogwe or bust, unless Hamlin is considered which I have not heard nothing of.

The Dolphins used the later rounds of the draft and off-season trades to strengthen the linebacker and corner back positions. But one position seems to have been left unceremoniously ignored: Free safety.
The Dolphins currently have Reshad Jones, Tyron Culver, Chris Clemons, and Nate Ness vying for the free safety position.
Yeremiah Bell has played consistently with the Dolphins in the strong safety position.
Bell has been one of the Dolphins stronger defenders in the past couple years despite having some troubles with injuries. In 2009 he had 114 tackles and three interceptions.
The Dolphins drafted Reshad Jones in the fifth round from Georgia. He comes in as a strong safety better known for his work at the line of scrimmage than in pass coverage.
Jones will undoubtedly be important in the starts he has against division rivals like the Jets, who are a strong running team. His troubles in pass coverage and speed could prove dire when playing against players like Randy Moss and Terrell Owens, however.
Tyron Culver comes into his third year with the Dolphins, although he’s never gotten regular playing time with the team.
During the 2009 season, Culver had only 19 tackles and one interception. He has mainly seen action in special teams, where he recorded 14 tackles last year.
Chris Clemons played in a reserve role for most of last year, starting in only two games. He had six tackles and zero interceptions. He is expected to have a much greater impact in his second year with the dolphins.
According to the Sun-Sentinel, he has fought hard for a starting position during training camp.
Nate Ness is in his second year with the Dolphins. He has little experience in the league and is being converted towards a free safety role during his off-season play with the Dolphins’ second team.
He will most likely finish off the off-season with a full transition to the corner back position.
Clemons is the most likely to find playing time with Bell during the season, as he has shown the most during the off season and was consistent in his two starts last season.
The Dolphins are risking a lot if they do not try and bring in a veteran player to help in the free safety position.
They are adding a lot of pressure for Bell in the back and for linebackers and defensive line at the line of scrimmage if there isn’t a consistent, fast free safety to help hold off the run.
The Rams’ free safety O.J Atogwe becomes available today and the Dolphins are likely to pursue him if the asking price does not become too high.
The Dolphins must understand that they may be too weak and inexperienced in the position right now to not make an honest attempt to get him

http://www.sportsnewsandscores.com/miami-dolphins-problems-at-free-safety.html

Back
Top Bottom