(Merged 4x) Rumor: Dolphins seriously interested in Atogwe | Page 22 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

(Merged 4x) Rumor: Dolphins seriously interested in Atogwe

we'll make a strong push to get him. clemons isn't ready, jones is a SS, and culver just isn't good enough IMO. if we manage to sign him the dolphins are a complete team - we'll have no holes on the entire roster (granted odrick and misi pan out) - when was the last time that happened? going after him makes nothing but sense.

a hungry, young team without any glaring holes. something to be very excited about in dolphin land.

we'll make a strong push to get him. clemons isn't ready, jones is a SS, and culver just isn't good enough IMO. if we manage to sign him the dolphins are a complete team - we'll have no holes on the entire roster (granted odrick and misi pan out) - when was the last time that happened? going after him makes nothing but sense.

a hungry, young team without any glaring holes. something to be very excited about in dolphin land.

Jones is a FS he switched position in college so that one of his teammates who play corner could FS and they could have the best players on the field. Culver can rotate and Amaya the UDFA is listed as strong safety. Fins need Atogwe unless they are comfortable with Clemons, something I think they are not, no matter what they say.

Fact is, even if they say they are comfortable with Clemons, it means nothing.

Jones is a FS he switched position in college so that one of his teammates who play corner could FS and they could have the best players on the field. Culver can rotate and Amaya the UDFA is listed as strong safety. Fins need Atogwe unless they are comfortable with Clemons, something I think they are not, no matter what they say.

i know all about jones. being a huge gator/sec fan i saw him play about every game during his collegiate career. he plays best near the LOS. good athlete/good speed/solid tackler type of deal. doesn't change direction well at all and gets easily confused on misdirections/bites hard on play action. he's not awful in coverage b/c he's usually in position to make the play but if something doesn't go according to plan he's in trouble. i've heard him be described as not the most 'cerebral' player more than once.

i do like his potential at SS, however. plays real hard and goes for the knockout just about every time. real solid against the run. good enough in coverage. strong safety all the way.

Jones will be a nice replacement for Bell down the road. I'd love for us to get Atogwe. The only real question mark for me would be the OLBs, but there are options to fix that, should anything arise.

Something I was thinking about on my stupidly long flight today was that there is a dark horse team that has a hole at FS: the Jets. Will this count as Atogwe being cut or his contract expiring? Would the Jets be hampered by the final 8 rule if he comes free tonight? Anyone have any info on that...?

Jets can't do to the rule where the playoffs teams can't go after a UFA unless they lose a player to another team.

Jets won't be able to go after him, unless they work a sign and trade type deal with the Rams. Even then, the Jets can't afford him with all the players that need new contracts.

Consider: Many teams already have set their budgets, making it more difficult to work out a high-market deal now. Furthermore, the Giants spent big money on the position in free agency, and the Cardinals traded for a safety to replace departed Antrel Rolle. Several teams — the Seahawks, Eagles and Chiefs among them — drafted safeties high in April, and clubs generally are reluctant to spend heavily on the position.

So, if the Rams’ pursuit of Atogwe has to extend into June, there might be fewer suitors. And there is no animosity between the sides at all.

However, other teams that could pursue Atogwe include the Dolphins and Cowboys, who are among the biggest spenders in the NFL.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/06/01/rams-safety-atogwe-set-to-become-free-agent/

C'mon Ross.
give us $10 million cash for one more player this season, PLEEEEEASE!!

Back
Top Bottom