Merged 6x: Who will give the 1st for O-Gun?/Ogunleye Article /RFAs... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged 6x: Who will give the 1st for O-Gun?/Ogunleye Article /RFAs...

Rfa...

Top defensive restricted free agents By Pat Kirwan Special to NFL.com
Adewale Ogunleye, defensive end, Miami Dolphins: Ogunleye is an emerging star in the NFL, registering 106 tackles and 24½ sacks over the last two years. He plays opposite Jason Taylor and collected 15 sacks and five passes defended passes in 2003. Ogunleye was an undrafted player out of Indiana, which will force Miami to put a high tender on him, but according to a pair of clubs I spoke with, that will not stop them from making a contract offer. The Dolphins are up against the top of the salary cap, and even though Miami does one of the best jobs in the NFL of managing the cap, a team could construct a deal which would be hard to match.

It's a new game with restricted free agents By Pat Kirwan Special to NFL.com
4. Sage Rosenfels, Miami Dolphins and Jesse Palmer, New York Giants: Both probably will stay where they are, but they are interesting.

Who will give the 1st for O-Gun?

I keep hearing all this "We are going to get a 1st for O-Gun" talk, but who would take O-Gun for a 1st?

Maybe Philly or Buffalo, but I can't think of anyone else.

it only takes one team to be interested, but...seattle, houston, minnesota

one article linked somewhere in the forum says something to the effect of "two teams have said they will make an offer even if a high tender is placed on him"

who knows for sure and it may be a 1st and a 3rd if we really want to keep OGun

Someone needs to give this article to Jaj, he seems to think that noone will pay the current costs associated with O-Gun.
While this article doesn't state otherwise, it does offer insight that chances are, it's probable.

I'll say it again, O-Gun will not be a Dolphin next season........

"O-Gun will not be a Dolphin next season"....this might not be a good thing...it may very well be true but...he is a top-flight young DE who is a great pass rusher and has the ability to stop the run...I agree...I don't think he'll be here but it won't be by choice but because of our salary cap issues and other O-Line needs...WR needs...and QB need!!!

What about Greenwood? He was a 3rd round pick, and do you think anyone would come after him for that?

I think that on draft day Houston will explore the possibility of moving up to the #5 spot to grab safety Sean Taylor. But if trade talks between they and the Redskins fail or if the Giants grab Taylor at #4, then I think we should offer Ogunleye up to the Texans in order to swap from the #20 pick to the #10 pick in order to jump ahead of Pittsburgh in order to draft Rivers or Roethlisberger.

That may seem like a low price for Ogunleye to some of you but its really not. In 2001 Miami offered their first round pick to Green Bay straightup for Matt Hasselback (I think there may have involved a switching of 3rd round picks too). We thought we had a deal but Seattle jumped in and offered their 3rd rounder and 1st rounder (#10 overall), for Matt Hasselback and Green Bay's first rounder (#17 overall).

So in other words by association, moving from the #17 spot to the #10 spot in the draft plus getting a 3rd rounder, cost a late first round pick cuz thats about what Hasselback was worth. So its not difficult to figure that Miami could send Ogunleye and the #20 off to Houston for the #10 pick in the draft and like, another 3rd rounder or somethin.

And the thing is, at #10 we might even have a shot at Roethlisberger because the Chargers are publically saying they won't go after a QB and recent history shows that the team with the #1 pick starts contract negotiations with their target before the draft even starts...then you have Oakland, Arizona, and the Giants in the top ten who need a QB. Nobody else in the top ten should even think of drafting a QB first round. Toss Larry Fitzgerald into the mix and you KNOW he's gonna be drafted by either Oakland or Arizona, then you've got only one more bullet to dodge before Roethlisberger falls into the doldrums and lasts all the way to #11 where Pittsburgh would likely take him. But positioning ourselves at #10 on draft day would put us conveniently in front of Pittsburgh to draft Roethlisberger if he fell, or Rivers if he didn't.

A lot of fans come up with trade theories and many of them are on the loony side, but this is one I actually feel could happen.

I suppose its POSSIBLE someone needing a good OLB would go for Greenwood with 3rd round compensation handy. I mean teams did enter negotiations with Arturo Freeman for a 5th round pick, and I feel that Greenwood, especially in 2003, did better than Freeman looked for us in 2003.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I think that on draft day Houston will explore the possibility of moving up to the #5 spot to grab safety Sean Taylor. But if trade talks between they and the Redskins fail or if the Giants grab Taylor at #4, then I think we should offer Ogunleye up to the Texans in order to swap from the #20 pick to the #10 pick in order to jump ahead of Pittsburgh in order to draft Rivers or Roethlisberger.

And the thing is, at #10 we might even have a shot at Roethlisberger because the Chargers are publically saying they won't go after a QB and recent history shows that the team with the #1 pick starts contract negotiations with their target before the draft even starts...then you have Oakland, Arizona, and the Giants in the top ten who need a QB. Nobody else in the top ten should even think of drafting a QB first round. Toss Larry Fitzgerald into the mix and you KNOW he's gonna be drafted by either Oakland or Arizona, then you've got only one more bullet to dodge before Roethlisberger falls into the doldrums and lasts all the way to #11 where Pittsburgh would likely take him. But positioning ourselves at #10 on draft day would put us conveniently in front of Pittsburgh to draft Roethlisberger if he fell, or Rivers if he didn't.

I would dance the jig blindfolded if Roethlesberger fell to 10, and if Miami had an opportunity to get him.. However I just don't forsee that happening.. If he SHOULD slip past the top 5, you can bet your high horse that Pittsburgh or Buffalo will be calling whomever is on the clock offering a pretty compensation to move up and draft him.

um...how are we going to offer O-gun to the Texans??? He's not under contract...we can't trade him or say...Houston...let's trade spots in the 1st round and we'll offer you O-gun. O-gun and his agent are the ones' holding the cards. Offer...we can't offer him to no one!!! If a team decides to bid for O-gun and O-gun decides to sign the contract offer...we have 6 days I believe to match the offer...if we can't or decline to...then in return we will obtain that team's 1st, and/or 1st and 3rd depending on what the Fins tendered O-gun...I also believe the free agency period for resticted players ends right before the draft...so what you're saying does not make sense...but I may be wrong...anyone else want to discuss???

Go Fins!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
from nfl.com...same link as the first post in this thread

...Ogunleye was an undrafted player out of Indiana, which will force Miami to put a high tender on him,"but according to a pair of clubs I spoke with, that will not stop them from making a contract offer..."

:woot:

Originally posted by ckparrothead

That may seem like a low price for Ogunleye to some of you but its really not. In 2001 Miami offered their first round pick to Green Bay straightup for Matt Hasselback (I think there may have involved a switching of 3rd round picks too). We thought we had a deal but Seattle jumped in and offered their 3rd rounder and 1st rounder (#10 overall), for Matt Hasselback and Green Bay's first rounder (#17 overall).

So in other words by association, moving from the #17 spot to the #10 spot in the draft plus getting a 3rd rounder, cost a late first round pick cuz thats about what Hasselback was worth. So its not difficult to figure that Miami could send Ogunleye and the #20 off to Houston for the #10 pick in the draft and like, another 3rd rounder or somethin.

A lot of fans come up with trade theories and many of them are on the loony side, but this is one I actually feel could happen.
That makes some sense if the texans miss on taylor (or decide not to pursue). I would like to wait until the giants pick before we pull thet trigger though. Then we would have the option between big ben and rivers. I assume we would take ben but not sure.

Back
Top Bottom