MERGED: A.J vs. Losman | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: A.J vs. Losman

MDFinFan06 said:
Im sorry to say this but i woudl have to go with Losman. AJ is a joke around the nfl. A Defense is happy to see him on the field because they assume it means he will throw a td the wrong way for everyone 2 he throws for us. He can turn a defense into an offense. I for one think he has great talent in his arm and could turn into a great qb. I just highly doubt it. Losman seems much more like a future star to me.

Where did you read that AJ was the "joke" of the NFL ?? I've not heard one person say anything of the sort ?? Let me know...Most people who know something about pro ball realize that AJ had no OL and no RB to work with in his 7 or 8 starts last year...but you talk about why AJ is worse than Losman, but fail to mention anything that Losman has done to deserve a nod over AJ ?? I digress though...

How can we have a discussion about Losman or AJ when neither has had the opportunity to prove anything yet ?? The will both get their opportunity this coming season (provided there are no injuries and AJ beats out Gus). Lets pick this converstation up after the season...

LarryFinFan said:
Where did you read that AJ was the "joke" of the NFL ?? I've not heard one person say anything of the sort ?? Let me know...Most people who know something about pro ball realize that AJ had no OL and no RB to work with in his 7 or 8 starts last year...but you talk about why AJ is worse than Losman, but fail to mention anything that Losman has done to deserve a nod over AJ ?? I digress though...

How can we have a discussion about Losman or AJ when neither has had the opportunity to prove anything yet ?? The will both get their opportunity this coming season (provided there are no injuries and AJ beats out Gus). Lets pick this converstation up after the season...
Good post, I totally agree with you!

silverloop13 said:
Not trying to be a prick......but to say hes a minmal part of your team getting to the playoffs is refrikindiculous. Ask the Ravens how that works. Teams will be all over Willis this year and make Losman beat them. Your O line is suspect and will not be able to handle the constant blitzing your boy will take......thats why Bledsoe spent the season on his ***. Im glad he got out of Buff btw.

Teams go as far as thier QB takes them Period. You have a rookie. A ROOKIE. I think he will be a good QB I really do but he will struggle because thats what Rookies do 99% of the time.

J.P. Losman is not a rookie. He saw action in 4 games last year. He is however,
a first year starter.

dolfan2010 said:
i'll tell you this much bills fans, A.J has more exp than you're boy does, and what makes you think that just because Losman was a first rd pick makes him good or great. Before you guys open you're mouth and put you're foot in it i'd think about the possiblity of having a season like we did!!!!! A few injuries to a certain RB or perhaps some o-line guys, which i hear you cant afford to lose anyways, because you are already thin on o-line, might throw you're season down the drain !!!! A.J may or may not be the answer but at least last yrs long gone and a learning exp to build on. Been a football fan for some 20 yrs, i cant remember 1 QB that didnt have growing pains in the NFL!!!!!!IF i was a bills fan i keep my fingers crossed and let my teams play talk!!!!!INSTEAD OF PUTING MY FOOT IN MY MOUTH!!!!!!

I can remember a QB who didnt have growing pains but his name is too obvious to even have to say it!

Phishstix said:
i wasn't discrediting those stats. in fact, i said that the info i found may have not been accurate b/c i got it from online sources, so i'm not going to argue with an oregon fan b/c i'm not confident in those numbers. but is it not fact that feeley hasn't even come close to completing 60% percent of his passes since his injury (in his two extensive runs of pt)? i wasn't saying anything else but that.

i respect yours and others opinions that feeley could be something. i don't root against aj, hell, i'd like to see him torch the league this year and go to the pro bowl, but i just don't have the confidence in him that others do. it's not a black-white, love or hate situation. my personal opinion is that he does some things good and some things bad, but if he wants to be here past this year, he'd better get his arse in gear and blossom into they palyer wolf, fassel, and three pro qbs think he could be.

I agree with everything you just said. I have said that this is the year AJ needs to show it, starting with beating out Gus. Gus could still start the year but AJ be the future if he shows Saban that he has what it takes but isnt as comfortable in the system as Gus. What is the diff? The diff is, if AJ goes out and is just locking on receivers and forcing balls, it isnt the system. He has experience now, teh pressure, the schemes should not rattle him, the line IMO will be much better and we have rbs this year. No excuses, he needs to be more composed and show he grasps the position. If he is looking off safeties and finding second and third receivers but is a little off on his timing but isnt making stupid mistakes, that shows he is still thinking and not reacting and could be a sign he doesnt have the system completely down.

Not excuses, I agree that AJ has to perform, his learning curve is over and he needs to man up and prove he has the talent and the intangibles. Regardles of what you and I or anyone elkse thinks, it is in AJ's hands to show what he can do.

Nasty Mcgahee said:
Well first of all, lets start with his college career, see JP actually started more than 8 games in college, unlike feeley! Also what has feeley done in college? nothing, he was backup to joey harrington. Lets take a snap shot of JP's last year in college shall we:
2003: One of seven Finalists for the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award. Completed 251-of-422 passes for 3,077 yards with 33 TDs and 14 INTs, one of the top three seasons in TU history. Only QB in C-USA to surpass the 3,000-yard mark in passing (3,077) and total offense (3,157) this year. His 33 TD passes are second-highest TU single season total and are tied for 3rd in the country (through Nov. 24). Threw at least one TD pass in every game this year; nine games with more than one and seven with three or more. Recorded four straight 300-yard passing games to start the season. Brought Tulane back from a 28-14 deficit versus Miss. St. and finished with 349 yards, four TDs on 29-of-47 passing.

OK, now I know I know you can be a great college QB but it may not carry over to the NFL. But why not. Well usually defenses are more sophisticated, the offensive playbook is bigger, and motions and audibles become more of a factor in the NFL.

NOW, JP Losman has taken 2 weeks off, say it with me 2 weeks off between the end of the season and mini camp. Thats right he came back to Buffalo early february to study film and work side by side with QB's Coach Sam Wyche. hmm Wyche? isn't that the same guy who worked with Joe Montana? It sure is. Didn't he work with Boomer esiason? your damn right he did.

The point is that JP has been watching the sophisticated defenses on film all year and getting quized by sam wyche until he can answer the question without delay. Also here's a big secret dont tell anybody, JP LOSMAN IS NOT A ROOKIE. Thats right he's been watching the game, familiarizing himself with the offense for a season now, he may not have had much playing time but he's been with this offense and needs not to learn a new one.

And we must not forget that he has all the athleticism that a QB in the NFL should need, he's got quick feet, a cannon arm, the kid can throw very accurate on the run, and can get away from tacklers if need be.

Lets talk about his intelligence. This kid scored just one point lower on the wonderlic than Tom Brady, you know, the two time superbowl MVP! Whats more, thats higher than the likes of peyton manning, trent green...

Since the announcement that the QB position was his he has been trying to earn respect from the players, more specifically the veterans because they need to respect and trust him. Coming out of mini camp, veteren Eric Moulds was quoted saying that Losman impressed him and he feels comfortable with the kid under the helm, and on a side note, JP missed one pass to Moulds and was so upset that he arranged some practices with him and E to get thier timing down, just the two of them.

He definately has the tools to succeed, and above all else he has the offensive weapons to help him succeed in his inaugural season. He's got a solid back with Willis Mcgahee, who, himself is a workhorse. He has a great receiving corps with Moulds and Evans, and the acquisition of the speedy roscoe parrish will make the two even more dangerous. Look at how the bills fared last year after Evans was named the number 2 guy. He was a TD or two shy from the record for ANY NFL rookie.

Too many people think that the Bills O Line is worse off without Jennings, but the truth is, they played as much without jennings last year as they did with him, and Willis (starting 5 games in) still managed 1100 yards. The LT spot is filled and Jim Mcnally (one of the best o line coaches in the business) is working with them so that shouldn't be much of a concern. And even less so this year because we have a mobile quarterback. See it's easier to block for a guy that can move because you dont need to hold the defense for 5 seconds. Also blitzing was ridiculous last year with bledsoe, the bills rarely faced a team that didnt put 7-8 guys in the box, because they knew they could get to bledsoe. JP has to earn respect from the blitz, but once he show's that bringing the LB's up is dangerous then they will back off and guess what? It becomes the McGahee show, any questions?

Nasty,

Thanks for the info on Losman. Frankly, I haven't seen enough of him to make a decent judgement.

One quick point. Your comment about AJ being nothing but the backup to Harrington was incorrect. AJ was the starter ahead of Harrington until he injured his elbow and couldn't play anymore. The injury took well into the next season to heal enough that he could be considered for playing time and, by THAT time, the coach wasn't going to pull Joey.

AJ's injury was pretty severe. I haven't seen anyone mention too much about it, but his elbow was massively swollen (fluid had to be drained from it after practices and before games), tissues were damaged and his arm movement and strength were, obviously, significantly impacted. AJ tried to play through it (the reason his numbers for the season aren't as good as they could have been) but it was just not happening.

Again, thanks for the Losman info. It's always fun to find out stuff about other players.

WILLIS21 said:
J.P. Losman is not a rookie. He saw action in 4 games last year. He is however,
a first year starter.

Hes a rookie in my eyes. He even says that himself. Hes got the benefit of NFL coaching for 2 years but I still consider him a rookie. I read the USA article on him today and I honestly liked the kid and hope he does ok.

Unlike alot of posters here I want him to be a good QB. To me it makes for better games to watch. I so miss the Marino vs Kelly years.

Back
Top Bottom