Merged: Ask Boomer (No B.S. Wanted) | Page 47 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Ask Boomer (No B.S. Wanted)

Mainge said:
Darn, that's kind of dissapointing.

Undrafted FA, or 2nd day pick?

His height alone knocks him to Day 2 unless he really breaks down and shows something different in his final year at UF (very possible, never know).

Back to Vick vs. Young, I think even though it is the flavor of the week to pick on Mike Vick, he has had a successful pro career. He's won way more games than he's lost. He's only spent one of his five years significantly injured. I consider quarterbacks to be decision makers and I think the decision to run is indeed a decision, and as far as his DECISIONS go if you add his running yardage back onto his passing yardage as completed passes (which they virtually function as), including his touchdown runs, then the guy has a similar career QB rating to Tom Brady, if you did the same thing to him (added back all his runs as completed passes). So all in all you've got a guy who HAS brought his team to an NFC Championship game (in a year in which they had no business being in that game), you have a guy who has won more than he's lost, you have a guy who has a career decision making QB rating in line with some of the other top guys out there...I think he deserves credit for that. People like to make fun of Vick and use Vick as a means to say that Young is better, but Vick runs a more complicated offense than Vince Young has run, he's smarter than Vince Young, he may not have Vince's accuracy but he's been better running a pro style system than Young has been when Texas tried to get him to run the offense the way they have it drawn up. The intelligence is what throws me over the edge. Vick doesn't get much credit for being an intelligent guy but he's a heck of a lot better than Vince Young. If I remember correctly Vick scored a 20 on his first try, not a 6.

And you're going to have to bear with me if I assume that Vince actually scored a 6 on his first try. The NFL is denying it with this piss-poor, extremely vague "incorrectly grraded" excuse, but in actuality that is a LIE pure and simple...the NFL's way of apologizing to Young for the blatant breach of confidentiality that saw someone leaking his wonderlic score to the entire football world before Young had a chance to retake the test (and players are allowed to retake the test as often as they like). The NFL has seirous egg on their face for breaching the confidentiality, and the word among scouts is that the person who leaked the score WILL be fired some time in the near future. To make up for the error, they are fabricating this completely fony "incorrectly graded" excuse so that Vince can retake the thing after studying for it, and his first test result will be discarded.

Alex Smith vs. Brodie Croyle is about a number of things. Alex didn't do great on a horrible team but show me a rookie who does. Only Ben Roethlisberger, Peyton Manning, and Dan Marino did really well as rookies. The other thing is Brodie is not quite first round talent. I think if he was, he'd be in the first round because I view the skinny frame to be a true chicken **** argument against him. He doesn't make his way on athleticism. If the skinny frame becomes that much of a concern in the pros (it hasn't in college), then I've never met a man that a little catfish and cornbread couldn't pack some meat on, long as you don't care what kind of meat it is. The knee injury is also a bit of a BS excuse, never heard of a non-running QB whose career was threatened by a knee injury. Those are red herrings, IMO. The true concern is that he just did not direct a very high scoring offense at Alabama and even though everyone knows he had a bad OL and inexperienced WRs, you still didn't see Croyle leading the Bama offense to high scores like Jay Cutler did with lesser talent at Vandy. He's not QUITE first round material, where Alex Smith clearly was. That's why I take Smith over Croyle.

I take Reggie McNeal over JP Losman. I've never liked Losman and I've never felt he'd be a good pro. I don't think he has much will to learn or take direction, I think eventually he'll start calling out teammates and rubbing people the wrong way. I think McNeal has all of Losman's throwing ability, none of Losman's attitude problems, and better feet to boot. Does that mean I think Reggie will be great? Not necessarily. I don't think JP is going to be good and I just said they have the same passing ability. I think you're never going to go wrong with Reggie McNeal because if he can't be a QB he could definitely be a very talented WR and he HAS the will to do it. He wants to find his way on the field no matter what.

I take Charlie Whitehurst over Charlie Frye...and I realize Frye has done pretty well so far in Cleveland while Whitehurst has his problems. I just think talent trumps all. Whitehurst has more top line physical skills than Frye. I think he's a superior passer.

Ingle Martin over Matt Cassel is another talent trumps all card. Martin has a great gun, good accuracy, and pretty fast feet...highly recruited I believe. Matt Cassel...I still don't think we know enough about him even after what he did against our completely disheartened defense in the last game of the season. Cassel was barely a 7th round pick and I believe that will be where Martin ends up so it isn't that I feel strongly either way about this.

nick1 said:
I won't agrue about the wonderlic right now, all we know is that he got a 16 on his second test which is better than Marino. Vick might have played in the national title but did he win it? Young won the title and was MVP of the game, you can't say the same for Vick. Young put up the best QB rating in the nation and won an award for the best QB in the nation. he was runner up in the Heisman race. No way you can agrue that Young wasn't better than Vick in college. no comparison
young did so good against the mighty defenses of the big 12 and SC.
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA.

teams dont play defense west of the mississippi.

death7star said:
young did so good against the mighty defenses of the big 12 and SC.
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA.

teams dont play defense west of the mississippi.
I disagree, USC had the #1 turnover defense in the nation and yet Young didn't turn the ball over at all. Even if what you say is true (which it isn't), than I have this to say. You can only beat the teams on your schedule and Young dominated. he is the first QB to pass for over 3,000 yards and rush for over 1,000 yards in a season

Hey Boomer and CK...this thread is amazing, thank you both for spending soo much of your time listening and responding to everyones questions. I wish i had you guys' insight on college players and such. I have alot of questions for you both but my first is, since you both believe we will be in the contention for Brees early, say we can sign him, whats the earliest you both see him signed and in a fins uni? Also I just made a bet with my roomate for a 100 bucks in that I believe VY drops out of the top 10 and my roomate says heck no. so if he does drop out of the top 10 i win 100. what do you both think the odds are that i walk away with my roomates 100 dollars?

ASUFinFan said:
Hey Boomer and CK...this thread is amazing, thank you both for spending soo much of your time listening and responding to everyones questions. I wish i had you guys' insight on college players and such. I have alot of questions for you both but my first is, since you both believe we will be in the contention for Brees early, say we can sign him, whats the earliest you both see him signed and in a fins uni? Also I just made a bet with my roomate for a 100 bucks in that I believe VY drops out of the top 10 and my roomate says heck no. so if he does drop out of the top 10 i win 100. what do you both think the odds are that i walk away with my roomates 100 dollars?

You're 100 bucks is as good as in the bank, if you are asking Boomer and I.

As for Brees, what I see happening is it dragging on for maybe a few weeks...specifically (and coincidentally) to around March 17th, when the Vikings pay the bonus to Daunte Culpepper. The Dolphins will want to see if Daunte hits the open market...they might not believe this latest attempt by Zygi to convince everyone that they'll pay the $6 million. Right now Daunte's the elephant in the room that everyone tries to ignore.

Boomer or CK,

What are the chances the Dolphins look at Eslinger, the multiple award winning Center from Minnesota? I've heard that he is putting on weight for the pros, that being the only knock on him. He has the other intangibles, intelligence, work ethic, team player etc... Any chance in the 3-5 round area?

I'd also like to thank the both of you for staying with this thread, it's been the best since I started visiting this site. Your time is GREATLY appreciated!

nick1 said:
I disagree, USC had the #1 turnover defense in the nation and yet Young didn't turn the ball over at all. Even if what you say is true (which it isn't), than I have this to say. You can only beat the teams on your schedule and Young dominated. he is the first QB to pass for over 3,000 yards and rush for over 1,000 yards in a season

USC had the 39th overall defense.

SpeedRush99 said:
USC had the 39th overall defense.
yes I know but what I said is they create the most turnovers in the nation which is true. also, Texas doesn't play any defenses? Ohio State is a top 5 defense but enough on this subject. this thread isn't meant to debate Vince Young, it's about every prospect in the draft

have you guys touched on Skyler Green yet? he has alot of speed, he ran 4.4. he seems like an explosive player who played for Saban before and I remember Saban has expressed some interest in him. any thoughts on Green?

nick1 said:

He did it against no defenses (Big 12 doesn't play defense). USC had the 39th ranked defense.

ckparrothead said:
You're 100 bucks is as good as in the bank, if you are asking Boomer and I.

As for Brees, what I see happening is it dragging on for maybe a few weeks...specifically (and coincidentally) to around March 17th, when the Vikings pay the bonus to Daunte Culpepper. The Dolphins will want to see if Daunte hits the open market...they might not believe this latest attempt by Zygi to convince everyone that they'll pay the $6 million. Right now Daunte's the elephant in the room that everyone tries to ignore.

Thats what I was wanting to hear, thanks CK...as for Brees Im not sure if I like that idea, but in that are you trying to say that we are maybe more interested in Culpepper than brees? I mean if we are gonna wait out on signing brees to see what happens to culpepper thats what it is sounding like to me.

ckparrothead said:
I think Ray Edwards of Purdue is a possibility, lots of physical talent there.

Do you think Edward's problems at Purdue will hurt his stock any? And where do you see him going?

FrostyFinFan said:
Boomer or CK,

What are the chances the Dolphins look at Eslinger, the multiple award winning Center from Minnesota? I've heard that he is putting on weight for the pros, that being the only knock on him. He has the other intangibles, intelligence, work ethic, team player etc... Any chance in the 3-5 round area?

I'd also like to thank the both of you for staying with this thread, it's been the best since I started visiting this site. Your time is GREATLY appreciated!

Eslinger seems like a system center to us. His teammate Setterstrom as well. They block the same Broncos blocking system, the cut blocking zone, etc. Eslinger seemed like a guy with high mobility and not ideal strength...then he showed up at the Combine and ran a poor 40 time, which even calls into question his supposed strength, which is mobility. I think he was in a system that set him up to succeed, and I don't view him as highly among centers as say, for instance, Nick Mangold, Ryan Cook, or Chris Chester (who I would move to center). I tend not to think Eslinger has that much to offer the Phins.

nick1 said:
have you guys touched on Skyler Green yet? he has alot of speed, he ran 4.4. he seems like an explosive player who played for Saban before and I remember Saban has expressed some interest in him. any thoughts on Green?

My sources say he ran a 4.55 actually. Put that together with his poor returning at the Senior Bowl, and Skyler Green is naught but a possible 7th round selection.

ASUFinFan said:
Thats what I was wanting to hear, thanks CK...as for Brees Im not sure if I like that idea, but in that are you trying to say that we are maybe more interested in Culpepper than brees? I mean if we are gonna wait out on signing brees to see what happens to culpepper thats what it is sounding like to me.

Not saying we're more interested in Culpepper than Brees, just that they are keeping an eye on the situation. Brees is asking for a lot of money, considering his injured shoulder has the potential to sap what little arm strength he had going for him and make him a bad starting QB again (like he was prior to 2004). Before you give that kind of money and take that kind of risk, I think you cover all your bases and that means exploring what kind of contract it might take to get Daunte Culpepper, who is a much more accomplished veteran with loads more physical talent, here in Miami...and get a time table on his knee. If Daunte gets released he could be a bargain compared to Brees, as far as contracts go. If that's the case I take Daunte over Brees, especially if the doctors are saying he might actually be available for 2006. It's just a matter of covering your bases...not like they are going to string Brees along and say we're not going to sign you until we find out about Daunte. Brees will be asking for big money. Big money contracts take a while to negotiate. In the end I feel we end up with Brees and I think everyone knows it...but it's good to be sure you're making the right decision.

Back
Top Bottom