Merged: Brandon Marshall | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Brandon Marshall

ckparrothead said:
I love Brandon Marshall, but Drew Boylhart will forever be known to me as the dufus who said that Phil Rivers should move to TIGHT END in the NFL. He also projected Vernon Carey as a Center.

Don't know what he was thinking with Carey, but didn't he say that Rivers should be moved to TE only jokingly only because he felt that he didn't have what it takes to be an NFL QB?

Nasty said:
Well, I would disagree with him that he is a 1st round talent... IMO, he would have to run in the 4.3 range for that...

But I think he is a hell of a target (6'6 230lbs :eek: ) and would be a great pick around the 4th-5th round. If he has a good combine/pro-day... he might be able to slip into the 3rd.

Dude if Marshall ran a 4.3 you would have to consider him a top 10 selection...and there's no real denying it. One thing you have to understand is that 6'6" and 4.3 speed is not common. In fact, it is usually considered impossible. Matt Jones basically broke the ceiling when he ran that 4.37 last year, and that is why he was drafted in the first round as a wide receiver even though he'd never played there before. Marshall, who has plenty of experience playing WR, would be a consensus top 10 if he ran in the 4.3 range at that size frame. All he would have to do to get into the first round, IMO, is just barely crack into the 4.4's (like a 4.49 or 4.48). That in a guy that shows such great quickness, body control, fluid receiving ability, and hands would definitely equal first round. If it doesn't, then quite frankly I question all the GMs in the league for putting Mike Williams as a top 10 pick and Brandon Marshall as not even first round.

ckparrothead said:
Dude if Marshall ran a 4.3 you would have to consider him a top 10 selection...and there's no real denying it. One thing you have to understand is that 6'6" and 4.3 speed is not common. In fact, it is usually considered impossible. Matt Jones basically broke the ceiling when he ran that 4.37 last year, and that is why he was drafted in the first round as a wide receiver even though he'd never played there before. Marshall, who has plenty of experience playing WR, would be a consensus top 10 if he ran in the 4.3 range at that size frame. All he would have to do to get into the first round, IMO, is just barely crack into the 4.4's (like a 4.49 or 4.48). That in a guy that shows such great quickness, body control, fluid receiving ability, and hands would definitely equal first round. If it doesn't, then quite frankly I question all the GMs in the league for putting Mike Williams as a top 10 pick and Brandon Marshall as not even first round.

When I said the 4.3 thing... I was just basicly saying that he would have to have a freaking awesome combine to make it into the first round...

I think if he runs in the 4.4's... he can make it into the first day. But IMO, he doesnt have the experience... or produced enough to go in the 1st round...

He will be a steal in this draft thats for sure... Talent wise, I think he could be as high as a 2nd rounder... but IMO, he will fall further than that...

Hey by the way CK... can he still get invited to the combine? or is it too late?

Nasty said:
When I said the 4.3 thing... I was just basicly saying that he would have to have a freaking awesome combine to make it into the first round...

I think if he runs in the 4.4's... he can make it into the first day. But IMO, he doesnt have the experience... or produced enough to go in the 1st round...

He will be a steal in this draft thats for sure... Talent wise, I think he could be as high as a 2nd rounder... but IMO, he will fall further than that...

I think so too but it is because of what I expect him to run at the Combine. If he ran low 4.4's he is definitely a first round prospect...same as Matt Jones was even though he had 0 experience playing WR. But what I'm hearing is that Marshall might be lucky to run a 4.55 at the Combine. That could drop him significantly.

ckparrothead said:
I think so too but it is because of what I expect him to run at the Combine. If he ran low 4.4's he is definitely a first round prospect...same as Matt Jones was even though he had 0 experience playing WR. But what I'm hearing is that Marshall might be lucky to run a 4.55 at the Combine. That could drop him significantly.

Well, he defintanitly isnt a burner...

I would expect around a 4.5 from him... maybe a high 4.4 (like a 4.48-4.49) if he really trains on his speed between now and the combine. I think that is what is going to drop him to around the 4th/5th round.

Nasty said:
Well, he defintanitly isnt a burner...

I would expect around a 4.5 from him... maybe a high 4.4 (like a 4.48-4.49) if he really trains on his speed between now and the combine. I think that is what is going to drop him to around the 4th/5th round.

I could see him running a 4.6 in Indy at the slow track with the electronic timing. He'll go mid-rounds and be the same kind of underrated prospect that Anquan Boldin was. Boylhart was right about one thing, he's into and out of his breaks really fast and his hips are good so he will maximize his speed a lot like Boldin does.

OurHeartAndSoul said:
Don't know what he was thinking with Carey, but didn't he say that Rivers should be moved to TE only jokingly only because he felt that he didn't have what it takes to be an NFL QB?

No, that was not a joke. He seriously though Rivers could be a successful NFL tight end...even though Rivers is about as mobile as Toniu Fonoti. I was just reading his review of Matt Jones and he totally brought up the Rivers to TE thing and sounded extremely bitter and misguided. He basically considered Jones and Rivers the SAME prospect....as if Jones doesn't run a full 0.6 seconds faster in the 40 yard dash compared to Rivers. My GOD.

ckparrothead said:
I could see him running a 4.6 in Indy at the slow track with the electronic timing. He'll go mid-rounds and be the same kind of underrated prospect that Anquan Boldin was. Boylhart was right about one thing, he's into and out of his breaks really fast and his hips are good so he will maximize his speed a lot like Boldin does.

I didnt know about the slow speed of the track in Indy. I actually always thought it was faster... not slower. Guess I was wrong. What round you see him going in? I dont see him making it past the 6th... more likely taken round the 5th... you?

he's a pretty good player, just a small questionable injury, but other than that. Some team will get a great reciever. You have to keep in mind, UCF hasent had a big time Qb to get this guy the ball, so just think about that as well. I think the guy has heart, to step up and play a little D, when his team needed him. TE is out of the question for this guy, with a frame like T.O., some great hands, he's going to be fine in the league.

6'4, 230... definitely has a solid frame and runs excellent routes. I'm sure Saban and our staff have him on our radar.

If anyone watched the Hula Bowl, you know that Brandon Marshall basically did whatever in god's holy name he wanted to do out there against whichever corner they decided to pit him against. The Hula Bowl doesn't exactly have NFL talent at the corner spots but these are still some of the best seniors out there and Marshall was just incredible. On top of that, scouts unanimously agreed Marshall was the most impressive prospect in all the Hula Bowl practices.

my 2 cents said:
Brandon Marshall is a free agent/late pick guy. He is not real fast and despite breaking a couple tackles in the Bowl game not real elusive, so unless he shows some unseen speed at the combine...... ....... the better prospect is Junior Mike Walker out with knee injury (not severe). The other UCF prospects this year are Darcy Johnson (te, possible 4-6 rd. pick if he runs well) Frisner Nelson (late round/FA DT) and Paul Carrington (late round/FA de/lb)

Darcy is a good kid. Had a little attitude in HS but overcame it. Also has a brother "Willie Offord" playing for the Vikings.

Yeah, Darcy is a fairly good tight end, but I dont think he's going on the 1st day. B. Marshall may have that shot of going on the 1st day, all depends on next weekends combine.

TerryTate said:
Mike Walker is probably the best athlete on this team. B-Marsh is a local product that only had one year to show his ability due to lack of playing time and ineptitude at the QB position. As a freshman and Sophomore, he was buried in the depth chart behind some upperclassmen (Doug Gabriel (now with Raiders), Jimmy Fryzel (Orlando Predators), Tavares Capers and Luther Huggins(both got some NFL looks).

He had to switch to defense in 04 because after just a few games, 5 (yes,no error there)....FIVE SAFETIES went down with injury. They needed some form of athleticism at that position, so he and Walker were both moved. Both recievers played decent despite the circumstances.

If Brandon has a good combine, you can see him has a day 1 draft choice. He brings size to the WR position. He is listed at 6'4" 230 (for size comparisons, David Boston at one point with the Miami Dolphins was 6'2", 228) according to UCF's athletics page. I've talked to the guy over the years (last time in late November), and I am 6'2"...the guy is more along the lines of 6'5"/6'6". He was probably the biggest safety in D-1 football last season when he had to move. For a big guy, he has great speed, and if he can shed some pounds and improve it, he may be a sleeper.

Coming out of high school he ran the 40 in 4.55, and was recruited by Florida. When he signed with UCF, he was 6'5", 195. He ultimately got offers from UConn and UCF, and if he wanted to play defensive end, he probably would've gone to UF, because that's where they wanted to play him there. Of all "Athletes" considered by the Rivals.com recruiting network, he was ranked #76 out of the top 100 nationally. An "Athlete" is defined as someone who can be switched around in a variety of positions (luckily for UCF, he was able to play some safety).

I will graduate with Brandon and befriended him over the years, being one of the few fans that would come up to him and talk football while we were really bad during his sophomore and junior years. It would be incredible if he got drafted by the Dolphins, but I will be happy for him wherever he goes in the NFL.

The Numbers
Games: 13
Catches: 74
Yards: 1195
Yards/Reception: 16.1
Touchdowns: 11
Long: 69
Average Yards/Game: 91.9

Game by Game
South Carolina: 10/102
USF: 4/39/1
Marshall: 3/65/1
Louisiana-Lafayette: 5/107/2
Memphis: 4/133/2
SoMiss: 2/22
Tulane: 10/110
ECU: 3/71
Houston: 7/120/1
UAB: 4/46
Rice: 4/61/1
Tulsa: 7/109
Nevada: 11/210/3

Very cool Tate. I love guys like this. The overachievers who have had to deal with changes. I think he could be a steal but the only prob I see is need, and FA with the WR/TE spot. We already picked up the guy from Stanford who is 6'7".

ckparrothead said:
If anyone watched the Hula Bowl, you know that Brandon Marshall basically did whatever in god's holy name he wanted to do out there against whichever corner they decided to pit him against. The Hula Bowl doesn't exactly have NFL talent at the corner spots but these are still some of the best seniors out there and Marshall was just incredible. On top of that, scouts unanimously agreed Marshall was the most impressive prospect in all the Hula Bowl practices.

If thats the case, then he secretly went up alot of teams boards and could be a second rounder.

Back
Top Bottom