Merged: Brooks goes to the Bengals in the 3rd- PFT | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Brooks goes to the Bengals in the 3rd- PFT

I'm beyond disappointed. Odds are that we'll be talking about how we missed out on Brooks for a long time. I could have sworn bringing in an impact linebacker (Arrington, Peterson, Brooks?) was at the top of our list of priorities this offseason.

burger13 said:
The writer is just saying that they used a higher (round) pick on him.....not that they in any way moved ahead of them in the draft order.

The Bengals jumped in front of the 49ers and other teams to select Ahmad Brooks in the third round of the supplemental draft.

From my chair, it sure sounds like they did something to get ahead of us. At least that's the impression this article is giving us....

PHINZ RULE!!!

BLITZKRIEG said:
The Bengals jumped in front of the 49ers and other teams to select Ahmad Brooks in the third round of the supplemental draft.

From my chair, it sure sounds like they did something to get ahead of us. At least that's the impression this article is giving us....

PHINZ RULE!!!

Yes, you're correct, that's the impression given by the article.
But, the article is very poorly worded.

No team can change its position in the supp. draft.
We ended up with the 15th selection (49ers had the 1st, and the Bengals had the 22nd). It's a weighted lottery with 3 "tiers".

The article simply means that the Bengals used a 3rd pick (higher than anybody else), and thus, "jumped" ahead of other contenders...

BLITZKRIEG said:

PHINZ RULE!!!

That's not the case. He's referring to the widely-held view that Brooks was being graded as a 4th rounder...and therefore the Bengals used their 3rd rounder to get him ahead of the 49ers and other teams.

Mile High Fin said:
Yes, you're correct, that's the impression given by the article.
But, the article is very poorly worded.

No team can change its position in the supp. draft.
We ended up with the 15th selection (49ers had the 1st, and the Bengals had the 22nd). It's a weighted lottery with 3 "tiers".

The article simply means that the Bengals used a 3rd pick (higher than anybody else), and thus, "jumped" ahead of other contenders...

If the Bengals didn't jump "ahead" of anyone, why say that they did?? Why not just say, "the Bengals used their 2007 3rd rounder on OLB A. Brooks". Over and done with, and simple to understand....

When a writer uses the words "jumped ahead of", that leave everyone to believe they moved up in order to get him ahead of everyone else. It doesn't make sense to say it, if they didn't do it....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

BLITZKRIEG said:
If the Bengals didn't jump "ahead" of anyone, why say that they did?? Why not just say, "the Bengals used their 2007 3rd rounder on OLB A. Brooks". Over and done with, and simple to understand....

When a writer uses the words "jumped ahead of", that leave everyone to believe they moved up in order to get him ahead of everyone else. It doesn't make sense to say it, if they didn't do it....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

Correct.
Which is why I said it's very poorly worded article.

:cooldude:

It could have been worded better...but I think its not impossible to understand what they meant.

I gotta say I feel foolish for thinking we'd have taken him with a high pick. Oh well.

I may be a whore for the talent-of-the-month, but it appears Saban's a lot more consistent than that.

ckparrothead said:
I gotta say I feel foolish for thinking we'd have taken him with a high pick. Oh well.

I may be a whore for the talent-of-the-month, but it appears Saban's a lot more consistent than that.

ah well... truth is, when you posted your "take" on the phonecall, my heart sank recognizing you might very well be right.

I should have known better simply because I've expounded upon in the past the manner in which Nick Saban takes on character risks of this sort. He does it in a riskless setting.

David Boston required no investment (veteran's minimum). Rod Wright required only a 7th rounder. Marcus Vick is a UDFA, likely to be cut. Kevin Vickerson is a 7th rounder. He inherited Ricky Williams. Manny Wright was a 5th rounder but he also might be the only player in the NFL who at 6'6" and a full 330 pounds can run below a 5.0 in the 40 (I've yet to see any 330 pounder do that other than Manatee...not even Haloti Ngata).

Compared to those guys, Channing Crowder and Daunte Culpepper were angels. They were first and foremost GOOD PEOPLE and hard workers, that had circumstancial rap sheets.

Ahmad Brooks ain't no angel. You don't get kicked out of your football program being a angel. I knew, absolutely knew, that Nick Saban had yet to take on a risk like Brooks...I guess I just figured if the Pats can pay a 2nd for Corey Dillon we could pay a 3rd for Ahmad Brooks.

Wrong.

Back
Top Bottom