Merged: Brunell offered $20 mil. by Redskins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Brunell offered $20 mil. by Redskins

relive1972

Premium Member
Reaction score
Brunell offered $20 mil. by Redskins

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/021204/jag_14798758.shtml

It also says that Miami has conceded Brunell to Washington. The Redskins have priced Brunell out of our range, we can hang it up. They're also keeping Ramsey and Ramsey wants to stay there, so let's stop considering Brunell or Ramsey as options.

I say we just resignn Fiedler for cheap and go for Rivers on draft day.

This could free up Ramsey, especially if reports are true that Miami has offered their #1. Then Redskins could look to the draft for the "QB of the future".

Wow...this is not how I planned on the offseason going. I would be satisfied with Ramsey, but only if he is capable of starting for us next season. Otherwise we would be better off going QB in the first......But I guess we won't know until everything, if anything, is a done deal.

Ramsey's ready to start, I wouldn't worry about him.
As for Brunell, hey, that's more of a hit on our cap than we'd have been able to handle (probably), so let them piss away a #2 pick on him.

If the Redskins offer anything close to the $20 million Brunell is asking there is NO WAY Ramsey gets a shot at starting next year.

Gibbs was covering his bases by saying Ramsey would get a shot as starting in case Brunell falls through. No one pays $20 mill to a backup. As you said we'll have to see how this develops!

I am not satisfied with Jay. If he returns as the starter we will have the comfort of knowing we will draft better than 20 next year. It seems to be his pattern. If and I mean If we get stuck with current qb I say keep BG and cut Jay. With an improved line and some coachin on how to keep ffrom fumbling he would be a big upgrade. He can actually THROW THE BALL. What a concept. If we are still looking at vets I would not have a problem with Gannon as a stop gap and mentor for a year or so. He was injured last year and the MVP prior. How about Gannon/BG/Henson
or
Gannon/Rivers/Sage

Originally posted by Little Danny
If the Redskins offer anything close to the $20 million Brunell is asking there is NO WAY Ramsey gets a shot at starting next year.

Gibbs was covering his bases by saying Ramsey would get a shot as starting in case Brunell falls through. No one pays $20 mill to a backup. As you said we'll have to see how this develops!

Depends how the contract is set out, split signing bonus and roster bonuses, that kind of thing, plus a first year vets minimum salary. Basically, it could be a contract that fits in with the cap easily in the first year and if Brunnel imerges the starter he is paid like one in the second and third years. If Ramsey keeps him riding the pine he is gone in 2005.

Re: Brunell offered $20 mil. by Redskins

Originally posted by relive1972
http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/021204/jag_14798758.shtml

It also says that Miami has conceded Brunell to Washington. The Redskins have priced Brunell out of our range, we can hang it up. They're also keeping Ramsey and Ramsey wants to stay there, so let's stop considering Brunell or Ramsey as options.

I say we just resignn Fiedler for cheap and go for Rivers on draft day.

I am hoping that this is what goes down. i dont want anything expensive for now. I think rivers would be as good or better than anyone. i mean that. the kid has the tools right now and with ricky, we could do some damage.

stick to the guns spileman! let the others pay big bucks. we need to be bold and prudent at the same time!

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
This could free up Ramsey, especially if reports are true that Miami has offered their #1. Then Redskins could look to the draft for the "QB of the future".

and then brunell would be right back in the same boat.:lol: ya gotta love that owner of the redskins, he dishes out more money than anyone and gets crappy results worse than anyone.

I'm bummed about losing out on Brunnell, but he is definitely not worth the money Washington is paying. We would be better off getting someone else, be it Ramsey, Henson, Rivers, or even another veteran like Garcia/Warner, who's previous team might eat some of the contract.
Bummer, I thought Brunnell was a perfect fit here. Guess I should have figured that like everyone else, he would chase the bank account.

If Brunell wants to chase the big bucks and go to a crappy team, that's fine by me. Let's go get Ricky Ray, Philip Rivers, or Drew Henson.

Originally posted by dreadlockera
I am not satisfied with Jay. If he returns as the starter we will have the comfort of knowing we will draft better than 20 next year. It seems to be his pattern. If and I mean If we get stuck with current qb I say keep BG and cut Jay. With an improved line and some coachin on how to keep ffrom fumbling he would be a big upgrade. He can actually THROW THE BALL. What a concept. If we are still looking at vets I would not have a problem with Gannon as a stop gap and mentor for a year or so. He was injured last year and the MVP prior. How about Gannon/BG/Henson
or
Gannon/Rivers/Sage

I would prefer the 2nd. I still want to see what Sage has.

This story creates just as many questions as it does answers...

Let me get this straight...the Redskins have offered a THIRD ROUND pick (73) ....not a second rounder that has been WIDELY REPORTED (Duh!).

And now Jacksonville won't even let us talk to Brunell unless we put our FIRST ROUND pick (#20) on the table.

I smell a shake down here folks. It doesn't add up.

..."A contract is a hurdle," Brunell said. "Those things don't happen overnight. My past contract [talks] with the Jaguars involved months. Right now, I'm hopeful for the best situation, and I don't know what that is."

Brunell's agent, Leigh Steinberg, said Tuesday his client's situation has been a whirlwind because they've had to adjust from expecting him to become a free agent to suddenly being a major player in several trade scenarios.

Steinberg agreed there are multiple hurdles to be cleared before Brunell lands in another NFL city.

"This will have to play itself out," Steinberg said. "At some point, a team will need to figure out a long-term contract. Even if they could live with Mark's cap figure [$10.5 million in 2004], there's also the one-year nature of it. That's not desirable, either."

Sir LINKS alot

Hey I'm happy for Brunell. Couldn't happen to a better guy really, despite his cautious attitude about jumping to a team with a first round pick QB. He's doing it anyway so I think we can see how hard he was gonna stick to THAT demand. Brunell's gonna get some $$$ and he's a really nice guy and I'm glad. He did kind of get the shaft in Jacksonville. I like Leftwich but Brunell was like Mr. Jacksonville...he built a church there for cryin out loud. He didn't deserve to be gotten rid of so unceremoniously.

Trust me him going to Washington is going to prove a good thing for us in the end. With our coaching staff the way it is if we got Brunell I'd be worried that they count on him to be our QB for like the next 4 years or somethin until he's CLEARLY over age, and CLEARLY not a good QB anymore...and THEN maybe they'd draft a first round QB after we've finished like 5-11.

We need to concentrate on getting OL help in free agency, and Brunell with the money he's demanding, probably would have just about ended our free agency.

All I can say is that our offseasons NEVER look good at the beginning, but by the end we always come out with something that we can be happy with. Last year when we lost out on Wayne Gandy there had to be half a dozen people here who proclaimed our offseason the worst ever. You should have seen it around here after the draft too. But overall last year we came away having improved our team, even if it was only 1 game and still not enough to make the playoffs.

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet

What is the point in that. The Redksins would trade Ramsey in order to pick Rivers. If thats the case why would we trade for Ramsey when Rivers will be available at #20?

Coz lets face it, the Steelers and Bills are picking too high in order to draft him.

I agree let fiedler sit for one more year, then get Rivers in there. Jay always gets injured. I think Rivers will get a chance and nail down the starters job in the final third of the season.

Back
Top Bottom