Merged: Chad Jackson in the first | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Chad Jackson in the first

Geforce said:
The only team other than Ohio State in the Big Ten who ranked in the Top 65 in total defense was Michigan. While the only SEC team to finish out of the Top 40 was Vanderbilt. You can make your own conclusions from that.
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?div=4&rpt=IA_teamtotdef&site=org

..The Big Ten had some explosive offenses like NW, Minnesota, MSU, Purdue,OSU...so those stats are misleading a bit.

Not that any of this is relevant as to who will be a better pro between Jackson and Holmes. One unbiast argument one could make is that Santonio has been a mainstay for 3 years..Jackson is just surfacing...so its more likely Jackson would be a fluke than Holmes.

But fact is I'd love to see us draft either.

Finfan14 said:
why am I bothering. Typical NFL fans. Know nothing about the game. Thats why I love college football and their fans.
Good question...why are you bothering? If your only reason for saying one player is better than another is based soley on stats or your bias towards a school, then you are right, we know nothing about the game.
Do you take into account how a player is utilized, what type of offense, the level of players around him? Stats do not and never will tell the whole story. When you come up with something more, then we might have a true discussion on the matter.

DBoston80 said:
..The Big Ten had some explosive offenses like NW, Minnesota, MSU, Purdue,OSU...so those stats are misleading a bit.

Not that any of this is relevant as to who will be a better pro between Jackson and Holmes. One unbiast argument one could make is that Santonio has been a mainstay for 3 years..Jackson is just surfacing...so its more likely Jackson would be a fluke than Holmes.

But fact is I'd love to see us draft either.
I agree, those stats are misleading but they do tell part of the story. Ohio State was able to contain if not shut down most of the teams in the conference.

Jackson emergence this year is largely the part of Urban Meyer giving a similar challenge to his players that Nick Saban gave to the Dolphins. To be accountable for how you play.

I'm not trying make a case for either player being better than the other. I think both have bright futures ahead of them and wouldn't mind seeing either in a Dolphins uniform next year.

Geforce said:
Good question...why are you bothering? If your only reason for saying one player is better than another is based soley on stats or your bias towards a school, then you are right, we know nothing about the game.
Do you take into account how a player is utilized, what type of offense, the level of players around him? Stats do not and never will tell the whole story. When you come up with something more, then we might have a true discussion on the matter.

well said

Finfan14 said:
you are right. On field production in big games means nothing.

Just line these guys up and who ever is the fastest and tallest, take him.

How can anyone use "on field production" as an argument against Chad Jackson, coming off a record setting year at a school that has a pass happy history???

Geforce said:

Very well said.

SpeedRush99 said:
I don't see the comparison. How exactly has Holmes "proven to be a better football player throughout college" than Jackson???

first just let me make this clear....I'm not predicting doom for Jackson or anything....I don't pretend to be able to see the future, but I do have my preferences....in this case it's Holmes.

My comparison to T.Williamson is based off of this: at the conclusion of this year, Holmes was projected as the best WR, based off of his body of work in college......but then after combine, where players are measured and timed and all of that, all of a sudden, many are enamored with Jackson. That's the same thing that happened with Williamson. IMO, I would value what I saw on the football field, not in shorts and t-shirts.

burger13 said:
first just let me make this clear....I'm not predicting doom for Jackson or anything....I don't pretend to be able to see the future, but I do have my preferences....in this case it's Holmes.

My comparison to T.Williamson is based off of this: at the conclusion of this year, Holmes was projected as the best WR, based off of his body of work in college......but then after combine, where players are measured and timed and all of that, all of a sudden, many are enamored with Jackson. That's the same thing that happened with Williamson. IMO, I would value what I saw on the football field, not in shorts and t-shirts.

this is very true, but I see Jackson a better WR than Williamson. I also think what team they go to will be big, and how they are used in that O

why is Jackson better than Williamson.

I have yet to hear someone give me a reason. He dissapears in big games and is soft.

Finfan14 said:
why is Jackson better than Williamson.

I have yet to hear someone give me a reason. He dissapears in big games and is soft.
where is your evidence to that fact? :shakeno: if you were the football fan you claim to be than why do you base your agruement on stats alone? what about the fact that he has faced tougher Ds? did you consider that Holmes had Ginn Jr. at the other WR spot and that Jackson had nobody? and maybe OSU has a better QB than Florida does. you must consider all of the variables, stats don't tell the whole story

I would draft Chad Jackson because Marty Booker won't be with us in 2007, especially with the salary cap hit he's bringing.

Chad Jackson is an unbeleivable athelete. He will have a far better career than Braylon Edwards, and would be a HUGE upgrade over Marty.

nick1 said:
and Andre Johnson isn't a good NFL WR because he only got 1,300 yards in 4 years of college :shakeno:

Johnson had 1700 yards in 3 years of college football & averaged over 20 yards per catch. The reason he went so high was because he had the rare combination of size (6'3 227), speed (4.3), hands, awareness, knowledge of a pro system, & his two years experience learning from two of the U's best ever (Santana & Reggie) & his two years of starting experience being the #1 man.

Chad Jackson has a nice combination of size (6'1 213) & speed (4.3) but he lacks experience & the knowledge of a pro system. He's been at a disadvantage playing in two fantasy offenses that he'll never see in the NFL. He also only has one year of starting & significant playing experience. Though he'll probably be a top 20 pick he could have used another year in college where he could have come out next year & been a top 5 pick like Andre Johnson.

SpeedRush99 said:
Thats my whole point. Those guys have nothing to do with Chad Jackson. Its that stereotype, "This type of player". I have no problem admiting Florida WRs have been less than stellar in the NFL, my issue is knocking Chad Jackson because he went to Florida.

The stereotype comes from Florida's history at WR, those players who have been decent at best have already been listed but left out 2nd rounder Jabar Gaffney. The stereotype is also derived from the fantasy offenses Florida runs where the WRs waste 3-4 years learning a scheme that doesn't translate to the NFL & when they get to the show they're a couple years behind the learning curve. Jackson has great potential but he's not going to come in & help anyone for at least a year & probably two.

SMadison29 said:
Johnson had 1700 yards in 3 years of college football & averaged over 20 yards per catch. The reason he went so high was because he had the rare combination of size (6'3 227), speed (4.3), hands, awareness, knowledge of a pro system, & his two years experience learning from two of the U's best ever (Santana & Reggie) & his two years of starting experience being the #1 man.

Chad Jackson has a nice combination of size (6'1 213) & speed (4.3) but he lacks experience & the knowledge of a pro system. He's been at a disadvantage playing in two fantasy offenses that he'll never see in the NFL. He also only has one year of starting & significant playing experience. Though he'll probably be a top 20 pick he could have used another year in college where he could have come out next year & been a top 5 pick like Andre Johnson.

Good post. This is perhaps the best argument against Chad Jackson that I've read yet. I do agree with you that he could have used another year in college. However, in a year where the WR position is considered the weakest in years, he probably made the correct decision to come out early because you never know what might happen next year.

Back
Top Bottom