Merged: CULPEPPER! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: CULPEPPER!

Votes: 1 100.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
TyBless said:
It's funny how you wait years being the only Dolphin fan in NY in your hood to meet other fans.. Then you find a nice site, and the people are so obnoxious..

Look, it really doesn't matter how serious you think your info, your input, or your little two cents in OUR favorite teams affairs are.. This is about being a fan, and having fun. Sure you wouldn't have posted this, that's why I did...

I love having fun with this, at a time where the REAL decision makers haggle over being 100 millionaires vs. billionaires..

I could kick the "facts" with any of you, I'm sure I've been to more Dolphin home games than most, even from NY.. The idea here, is I LIKE "Pep", over Brees.

We are running an offense he is familiar with, while his knees are fubar... His ARM is not. If we are running the same exact offense as last year, HE is the QB we need, not Brees. Like another poster mentioned, either him, or Ramsey.
Brees is brilliant, but I don't think he's the kind of QB to chuck it down the field 12 times a game..

I see you can't get no respect around here unless you post a dead serious post with a link to prove your facts.. It's a FAN site, all you fake GMs are not getting any more money for visiting finheaven than I am. SO kill the personal insults. Half of you wouldn't even be nearly as outspoken in person. Cybersnobbery is just as bad as cyber thuggery. Why can't you do it like your moms told you.. Have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all.

Let all the rest of us fans who want to have fun.. Do just that. We are all :tantrum: just as entitled..

You know......... This may be the best post ever written on Finheaven!!! I'm not being sarcastic either, waaaaaay too many people are too quick to insult somebody for making a post or stating an opinion that differs from their own. I don't care if this guy had Doug Flutie on his madden league and would prefer him over Brees, if he was serious then that's his opinion and so be it, and if he was just joking around and having fun then..........Good For Him!!!!

TyBless said:
We are talking about FOOTBALL... With men... right? Where did all these metrosexuals come from? Opinions are like aholes... We all have one...
Start a thread for you and your friends, and you can have a "real discussion"..
I'm sure a mod will come and defend what you're saying because like corporate america, everything gotta be in the right thread.. blah blah.. But I'm a Dolphins fan, and these are truly moves I would like to see my favorite team make... I made a comment relating to these possible transactions, by testing the chemistry in madden..no harm no foul(Haven't we seen these same tactics on NFL Live on ESPN?) By the way I want in on the next tourney... One.

Get your legs waxed..
A little wound up today? You made a comment related to transactions based on a game that you play. And you didn't think anyone would look down on that? If you had stated that you wanted Culpepper over Brees and why, I can except that. But to base your thoughts on a game? This is a site to talk about FOOTBALL, and yes we are men. Not children who base their opinions on gameplay, so don't be suprised when you get flamed by other for talking about how well Daunte Culpepper does in your Madden franchise, and that's you basis for wanting him in real life.

GRAPEAPE said:
A little wound up today? You made a comment related to transactions based on a game that you play. And you didn't think anyone would look down on that? If you had stated that you wanted Culpepper over Brees and why, I can except that. But to base your thoughts on a game? This is a site to talk about FOOTBALL, and yes we are men. Not children who base their opinions on gameplay, so don't be suprised when you get flamed by other for talking about how well Daunte Culpepper does in your Madden franchise, and that's you basis for wanting him in real life.

I don't think that's his basis for wanting Culpepper over Brees, I think he meant that he did it just for fun and it worked out great.(Although I will admit that that means NOTHING, Give me the worse QB in Madden and I can still throw for 300 yards per game EASILY vs. the CPU) But anyway.......... There are valid reasons somebody could want C-Pep over Brees. A lot of people don't like Brees height, or the fact that he has the same injury that Pennington had/has, and Penny hasn't been the same since, also Culpepper has a much stronger arm than Brees. You can say all you want that Randy Moss made Culpepper what he was and he wouldn't have had the type of stats he did without him, but to that I say..........BLAH!!!! One player(WR) does not make a QB that good. That's like saying that Marino was only that good because he had Duper and Clayton for most of his career, or that Peyton Manning is only that good because of Harrison. Now with all that being said........ I still would rather have Brees LoL!!!

outlawd2u said:
I don't think that's his basis for wanting Culpepper over Brees, I think he meant that he did it just for fun and it worked out great.(Although I will admit that that means NOTHING, Give me the worse QB in Madden and I can still throw for 300 yards per game EASILY vs. the CPU) But anyway.......... There are valid reasons somebody could want C-Pep over Brees. A lot of people don't like Brees height, or the fact that he has the same injury that Pennington had/has, and Penny hasn't been the same since, also Culpepper has a much stronger arm than Brees. You can say all you want that Randy Moss made Culpepper what he was and he wouldn't have had the type of stats he did without him, but to that I say..........BLAH!!!! One player(WR) does not make a QB that good. That's like saying that Marino was only that good because he had Duper and Clayton for most of his career, or that Peyton Manning is only that good because of Harrison. Now with all that being said........ I still would rather have Brees LoL!!!
In another post he actually made a point for wanting Culpepper. But expect to get some flak when you start a thread that way.

As of right now I am on the fence with both of them. Brees shoulder is a question mark, and the fact that he had LT, and Gates last couple years hasn't hurt him at all. same with Culpepper, Torn up knee, and without Moss I was not even remotely impressed. Culpepper has like 81 fumbles in his career, and 86 INT in only 80 games. Not sure those are 100% accurate. I feel Brees has more uside than Daunte.

Aqua and Orange said:
Culpeppers injury seems much more serious. I also dont like his cruise conduct.

lmaaaooo@ "Cruise conduct..." Not for nothing.. If you were on that cruise, you wouldn't have gotten a lap dance.. (among other things)..??

It kills me when men judge other men over their sexual appetites and behavior..

Whatever he did on that boat wont stop him from throwing frozen ropes to Chris Chambers, and maybe even T.O.. So you saying that THOSE recievers won't make Culpepper look better than Burleson, Robinson, and Williamson?? Come on..! We all know how much better his season went with Randy.. A QB is only as good as the sum of his parts.. Only Dan the man made average recievers better.. Today's QB has to have a good team around him...

At the end of the day..(hopefully thursday) I would love either player really, because we've truly been in a QB rut since Danny left.. But if I had THE choice for the long haul, I'd choose Daunte!!!

He won't be able to play until mid season next year and when he does play he throws like 3 ints a game. Last season before he got hurt he threw 10 ints in 4 games, why would you want that to be us?

Culepepper vs Brees. A lot closer than Brees vs Ramsey, still I'd take Brees over Dante, because Brees is known not to be the product of Moss, and would be availible sooner than Dante. Drew Brees is the answer, no question.

AquaInferno said:
Culepepper vs Brees. A lot closer than Brees vs Ramsey, still I'd take Brees over Dante, because Brees is known not to be the product of Moss, and would be availible sooner than Dante. Drew Brees is the answer, no question.

I feel that.. But he was a product of something even greater.. Tomlinson, and Gates.. Here, he'll have even more to pick from..
Not that I'm against Brees, and yes Culpepper did have a bad year last year... But no one says why.. New short passing west coast system.. Not his thing.. Not finding the chemistry with his new recievers, and not having that go-to guy. Sure Marcus Robinson was nice for a few games, but he's not Moss, Gates, Tomlinson... In Miami, he'll AT LEAST have Chambers, McMichael, and Ronnie..(say yes to T.O.)

The only reason to take Brees over Pep, is the fact that Pep MIGHT not be ready until, say October.. But what about next year, and the year after that? A injury to a QB's shoulder is far worse than his knee.. Dan was the best ever, and he had TWO bad knees, and had surgery every year.. So his knee shouldn't be the main factor in why you wouldnt want him. The fumbles I'll give you that.. because being a fumbler is the worst thing to be in the NFL..

At the end of the day, we will more than likely get Brees.. I'll be very happy with that.. But if we were to land Culpepper.. I'll throw a party and put my order in for my #11.. Sorry Gus.. I wish you can stay on as at least a back up.. 18 tds and 13 ints is better than any of us has seen around here in a while... Peace.. Can't wait till thurdsay..

TyBless said:
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it... That's who we need, as a fan that's who I want. You should see how good we are on Madden right now with Culpepper, T.O., Chambers, McMike, Booker, Ricky and Ronnie... Oh, it's Ugly.. I also picked up Lavar Arrington while I was at it, and Ty Law...
lol..

Gotta love make believe... But ANYTHING can happen.
how do u sleep at night?

Currently, the Dolphins are 240k under the cap and in the Superbowl. Zach is still with us, along with JT, Maddison and Ronnie. Chambers is our secondary receiver, and a guy named Jerome (johnny) Mathis is our primary receiver. His number is 13 and he broke the record for receiving yards in a season this year. Our QB is Stan Taylor, a 3rd year QB that was picked up in a trade with St. Louis. Superbowl to be played this week.

Couch Saban, I hope you're reading this. Maybe we can hook up and I can be an advisor or something? Email me...

Didn't Minn. elect to pay Culpepper his roster bonus, thus making it a very good probability that they are keeping him?

I like Brees and would be happy if we can get him, but if we can get Culpepper without giving away the farm, it's a no-brainer. There are obviously a lot of people that don't like Culpepper, but I just don't get it. When you account for his rushing numbers, his production has been absolutely phenomenal. His yards per game and TDs per game are the best ever. His completion % is close to the best ever. His interception rate is comparable to HOFers like Marino, Favre, Moon, Kelly, etc. Physically, he has a lot more size and speed than any QB should be allowed to have. He's the size of a DE and runs like a fullback. He has a very strong arm and has proven to be very good at throwing deep -- in 2004 he completed an incredible 17 of 34 passes thrown more than 31 yards from scrimmage in the air. And no, it was not because of jump balls to Moss -- Moss caught only 3 of them. Below are my responses to the criticisms I hear from the Culpepper haters:

The Knee

It is legitimate to be concerned about the knee, but this is an area we all need to defer to the doctors on. They are saying he is well ahead of schedule and will play next year. The decision on a QB of the future should not hinge on whether he'll be at full strength at the beginning of this year (this goes for Brees too). I can't think of a single QB whose career was ended or derailed by a leg injury. The only one that even comes to mind is Joe Theisman, but he was 35 and his much younger replacement played well in his absence, so it's not fair to say that the injury is what ended his career. Marino had one of his best seasons the year he came back from the Achilles injury. When RBs are able to come back from hideous knee injuries, it seems like a stretch to say that Culpepper can't or won't.

The Fumbles

Yes, he does fumble a lot. However, even if you treat the fumbles as interceptions, his numbers are still great. People keep citing to the total fumbles numbers, as opposed to fumbles lost, which is really the relevant number. He's lost an average of about 5 fumbles per season, which is about 2-3 more than most other QBs. BTW, Gus fumbled 13 times last year and lost 4, but I have never heard anyone on this board bitching about that particular aspect of his game. Also, part of the reason Culpepper fumbles is that he runs with the ball, i.e., he actually get's tackled while holding the ball
100+ times per year. If the average RB had those carries instead of Culpepper, he'd fumble a few times too (Ronnie Brown had 4 fumbles in 239 touches and Ricky has 35 fumbles in approximately 2000 touches in his career).

The Boat

Give me a break. He is charged with getting a lap dance and touching the dancer's tushy. Are you such prudes that you find that to be outrageous conduct? Do you think no other NFL players get lap dances? Hell, Clinton Portis had a stripper pole and a bevy of strippers in his house. Do you really think the Fins players would be hesitant to follow his lead because he allegedly touched a stripper's tushy?

The Moss

Culpepper's great numbers are not because of Randy Moss -- any more than Montana/Young were products of Rice or Manning is a product of Harrison. Almost every great QB has had some great WRs. In 2004, Mossed missed 3 games and was just a decoy in 2 others. In those 5 games, Culpepper completed 113 of 166 passes (68%) for 1179 yards, 9 TDs and 3 INTs, which comes out to a QB rating of 99. For that season, if you exclude passes thrown to Moss, he completed 330 of 463 passes (71.3%), for 3950 yards and 26 TDs. Even if you assume that none of his INTs were on passes thrown to Moss, which is doubtful, his QB rating excluding Moss was 105.9. Moreover, Moss clearly didn't make Kerry Collins into the Pro Bowler this year, even though he was opposite other quality WRs.

The 2005 INTs

Culpepper had a very bad start to 2005. He had 8 picks in the first 2 games, but had 6 TDs and 4 INTs int he 4 games after that. He was playing for a new OC, with a new set of receivers and an OL that had lost its anchor, Pro Bowl center Matt Birk. The OL was really struggling -- he was sacked 31 times in just over 6 games. You can't disregard his career numbers based on 2 bad games at the start of the season. Even the best QBs will occasionally have a 3-4 INT game.

The Playoffs

True, Minnesota has not been a great team since he's been there, but they have consistently had one fo the 5-6 worst defenses in the NFL. From 2000-04, the Vikes never had a defense that was better than 25th in the NFL. Even Marino had better defenses in the late 80s and early 90s. With a few exceptions, Minny had unremarkable running games during that time (especially if you exclude Culpepper's rushing numbers). Still, the Vikes were 39-41 during that time period, which is comparable to Marino's record from 1986-89 when the Fins defenses wetre bad (30-33). We all know that even a great QB cannot win with a bad defense.

The Money

Daunte is due to make $2 million this year, less than half of what Gus is due to be paid. Brees will undoubtedly cost several times that amount. The 3 years after this one, Culpepper is due to make around $6 million per year, which isn't much for an upper echelon QB. Brees will cost more. Some are offended that he reportedly asked for more money, but it isn't clear that he did. His agent did, and then got fired for it. The Vikes owner had publicly said that he would re-evaluate Daunte's contract after this past season, so it wouldn't have been unusual for Daunte to expect him to do that.

Back
Top Bottom