MERGED: Dolphins Sign Brent Grimes | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Dolphins Sign Brent Grimes

Love the fact we finally look like we are going all out. I live for Sundays and my Miami dolphins and always felt like why don't we just go for it show some ball s. So whether grabbing all these players works out or not. I really am happy with the fact I feel like we said fudge it all or nothing

Nice upgrade ... if he's healthy. With a 1 year deal, either he's not healthy and it's not a great deal, or he is healthy and we'll have to re-sign him next year for more money. So, not ideal, but still promising.

Love the fact we finally look like we are going all out. I live for Sundays and my Miami dolphins and always felt like why don't we just go for it show some ball s. So whether grabbing all these players works out or not. I really am happy with the fact I feel like we said fudge it all or nothing

Just seeing a noticeable effort sure is nice.

Grimes, an undrafted rookie out of Shippensburg in 2006, has been the underdog for much of his career. He originally signed with the Falcons in '06, but didn't make the team. He was re-signed after the season and allocated to the Amsterdam Admirals of NFL Europa. Grimes was added to Atlanta's practice squad before the '07 season and saw his first regular-season action late that season, appearing in two games. He made 14 starts over the next two seasons and showed a knack for making plays, making six interceptions (still a career high) in '09. He became a full-time starter in '10 and has started all 34 games in which he has played (including the playoffs), dating back to the '09 season. Grimes had five interceptions in '10 and was among the league leaders in passes defensed (23). He was named to the Pro Bowl as a replacement for Packers CB Charles Woodson after the '10 season. He underwent knee surgery in November 2011 and missed three games in a row before returning in Week 16. He sat out again in Week 17, and the team was expecting him to play in the wild-card round vs. the Giants but he didn't suit up.

Grimes is an explosive, quick-twitch athlete with top-end burst and fluid movement. He has outstanding leaping ability, which allows him to play bigger than he actually is. He's confident, displays good technique and is feisty and competitive. He not only is a solid and willing tackler but he has good ball skills and is highly productive. He's aggressive in the air and fights for the ball.

Grimes was primed for a big pay day in free agency before he suffered a torn Achilles tendon in the 2012 season opener. Typical recovery for an Achilles tear is nine months, which would put Grimes on pace to get back on the field before the start of training camp.

Falcons coach Mike Smith said during the NFL Scouting Combine that Grimes' rehab has been "outstanding."

This has potential to be one of Tuesday's best moves. Grimes had established himself as one of the league's top corners prior to his injury. If he gets back to full strength, our defense is considerably better.

[video=youtube;jKr3ViCiXps]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKr3ViCiXps[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
So now the Dolphins have Brent Grimes, Richard Marshall and Dimitri Patterson competing for a starting job. I still expect Miami to draft a cornerback early in the draft.

I also think this is great proof how people overreact during the free agency period in the NFL. People have been complaining and calling out the front office for ignoring the cornerback position because they didn't make a move in the first few weeks of the free agency period. One of these posters even said it was 80% certain that Miami screwed themselves at the position, even though free agency wasn't over and the draft hasn't happened. Now Miami has landed the top free agency cornerback on the market and still has the draft to go.

Time to break out my all time favourite picture...

jeff_zps0d4a957fpng-1.jpg

Of all the great things about the picture, I laugh the hardest at the "Joe Knows" shirt Ireland is wearing :lol:

Nice. Grimes was as good of a corner as there was prior to his injury. Let's hope he has retained most of that ability.

Great news. Does anyone know what he will count against our cap this year???

Great news. Does anyone know what he will count against our cap this year???

5.5 one year deal

GREAT, GREAT signing! I have waited for this for weeks. Great job Jeff, Dawn and Joe. Creates flexibility on draft day. Perfect zone corner and the guy will be hungry.

---------- Post added at 10:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 AM ----------

Boom goes the dynamite

It is a one year, $5.5 million deal. Looks like La Canfora got some credibility back.

That is right...LAC got one right! It IS going to be a good year.

Im not fussed about Winston, I can take him or leave him.... but if we pick him up as a stopgap, we really could draft BPA, BPA, BPA, BPA......

The nice thing to all of this is it is not only a win/ win for us and Grimes, but being it's only a 1 year deal we can lock him up long term if he shows he is healthy and if not most of the other cb's are on one year contracts and we can look to swoop up another free agent cb next offseason to pair with hopefully a 2nd rd cb we draft this year. Great low risk high reward signing!

Back
Top Bottom