Merged: Drew pressuring Phins to trade Ogun | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Drew pressuring Phins to trade Ogun

mia4ever

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Drew really trying to put the pressure on the FIN

This is from today's paper the Herald

Agent Drew Rosenhaus said Sunday he believes Chicago is planning to make a trade offer to the Dolphins for defensive end Adewale Ogunleye this week before the start of the NFL draft on Saturday.

''That's what I have heard from the Bears and I think this could come down to a draft-day situation,'' Rosenhaus said. ``I've told [Ogunleye] there is a chance he could get traded and we'll be working to make something happen.''

Rosenhaus also said if he is unable to work out a trade or a long-term deal with the Dolphins, Ogunleye will hold out and not play for the one-year tender of $1.824 million.

It's seem that well all find out the FINS intention about AO :

2nd pick will not do, IMO ,swapping 1st picks and #1 next year maybe
but with our aging starter (tim bo,S.mad,and seau) if we can hold on to AO for a year the money for a big contract will be attainable

ps DREW you get your cut you #$$%%$# :yell: :yell: :cooldude:

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless they pretty much have a deal in place, why would the Bears want to trade away a first round pick for a player not under a long term contract? They had better have the details worked out before next Saturday.

If it was me, I'd still take the #14 spot and the second rounder. Unless there is a plan in place to somehow keep O-gun, we need to get something out of him this year. Remember, he wants Jason Taylor-type money, which the Phins simply don't have.

All the talk about a hold out only adds to my desire to deal O-gun. We don't need the distraction. Besides, an improved offense will make up for a lesser defense. We didn't make the playoffs WITH O-gun having good years the past two seasons anyway.

i believe that AO want to be a FIN

but DREW his agent want a deal done this year
why can't he play for the tender just as Taylor did

Noteworthy: Taylor said he "would expect" Adewale Ogunleye to sign Miami's one-year tender, like he once did as a restricted free agent: "There are not a whole lot of choices, unfortunately. We've talked about it. It's tough to roll the dice on a one-year deal, but that's the nature of this business. If nobody gives up the picks and money, if you want to play, you've got to sign the tender and play."... Safety Sammy Knight said he wants his agent to finalize an extension with Miami

this is from the pbp(palm beach post)

Most mock drafts have the Bears picking a DE in the first round. A trade for a Pro Bowl DE makes sense for the long term, considering his age. I say "Trade OGUN NOW"
and let our younger guys step up. I still think he's more of a product of the system, and his value to the Fins has deminished with his holdout threat. I hope this happens!!

The Bears don't have the cap space without major restructering which they did not do when they were not under the gun, why now. RS isn't about to blink, he holds the big cards. He did'nt blink during the RFA signing period when AO had some leverage why would he blink now?

While there have been interesting stories coming out of Chicago on how good AAron Gibson's workouts have been and the weight he's lost and how they expect him to replace Villareal, he is still a career long underacheiver.

My conclusion, Drew is just trying to make pressure and has no other leverage than trying to negotiate through the press. Rermember RS said in his news conference that they had not spoken to Drew in some time. Drew would have you believe in his rantings to the press that he is in almost daily contact with the FO.

I would love for Wally to stay, but I do not see it working out because of the contract he wants.

The way I see it is that we either lose him now and get something for him, or lose him at the end of the year and get nothing for him.

I would take this years second and either next years first or second, depending on sacks.

Front offices are not the only people who create smokescreens. I doubt that Drew really has anything together as the Bears (as has been pointed out) have not addressed their cap situation. I still think that Wale is going to come down to a draft day decision. If Miami sees that somebody they really like in the 1st round is falling and want to move up, they could trade up with Wale. If there is a guy they decide is really too good to pass up in the 2nd round, perhaps Rashaun Woods or Michael Jenkins (if Babin is on the board he'd be a great replacement directly for Ogunleye) then they can use Ogunleye as trade bait for, say, a 2nd and 3rd round pick.

There are several teams that trading for Ogunleye would make sense for. I think Kansas City could use anyone who can play defense and the Miami FO should contact them (and probably be rebuffed) about the #30 pick. Jacksonville is going either wr or de in the 1st round but needs a DE badly and will probably be willing to give up a 2nd and 3rd round pick for Ogunleye, especially given that doing that would let them pick Roy or Mike Williams at #9 and that they already have an extra #3 pick from the Brunell deal. Denver is the other team that I think is really worth talking to. I don't know that they have a tremendous need at DE but I know that they lost this Berry guy who had a bunch of sacks to the Cardinals, and his high sack count probably means he is a DE. They have an extra second round pick this year, also thanks to the Redskins, and I'd be happy with a #2 and #3 from them as well.

People have raised the idea of using Ogunleye to get a #1 pick next year in addition to a pick this year. Quite frankly, I'd be overjoyed to get a #1 next year. While I'd rather get a #2 this year and a #1 next year for Ogunleye than a #3 and #1 next year, obviously, Miami's problem has always been that it doesn't have enough high draft picks. Given our history of missing out on picks, it can't hurt to have an extra 1st rounder!

The Bears can do some things with thier cap, just like the fins can if they want him bad enough....The Bears, notoriously have not wanted to pay out the big signing bonuses, but this year have (Tait)...This would be a great coup for them to get a proven DE before the draft and still retain their picks. As far as compensation for us....I think it would have to be good compensation or RS will not consider trading...
I think he is looking for an additional pick in day on this year minimum...say, their 2nd rounder this year, conditional 2nd next year (one that could be a 1st depending on 10 sacks or more from Ogun) and Gibson. I don't think the Bears want to give up or swap this year's 1st and not sure that RS wants one quite that high...Of course, that would probably get us a blue-chip WR to go with CC and DB. As for Gibson, although has not panned out for CHI, we have shown a propensity (sp ?) to take on other teams 1st round busts (Edwards, Boston). I don't know what Gibson's cap implications are, but suspect we can work that out...That would give us 4 of 5 OL that are starters in the league (SM has not, although was a part time starter for us last year) and still maintain our depth...We would not have to go OL in the 1st or 2nd round with Gibson. This scenario cements the idea that they see McI as the starting RT once he returns from injury with St. Clair, Whitley and Jerman--we got some quality backups as well.

But the problem is not just teams not wanting to give up the draft picks, its the draft picks AND the huge bonus/contract that Drew is demanding. That makes the deal with anyone unlikely. Drew is telling his player sit for a year and I'll get you the money next year. Watch if he holds out, he goes on IR the minute he comes back, "Oh my hamstring's tight!!!!"

LarryFinFan said:
The Bears can do some things with thier cap, just like the fins can if they want him bad enough...

Of course they could but they didn't when time was on their side. That's my point. That's why I don't think any of what Drew said is real. Your deal is not a bad idea just unlikely imo given the circumstances. I think the likeliest scenario for this story is a Drew smokescreen. And with this smoke there is NO fire.

I agree...

Ohiophinphan said:
But the problem is not just teams not wanting to give up the draft picks, its the draft picks AND the huge bonus/contract that Drew is demanding. That makes the deal with anyone unlikely. Drew is telling his player sit for a year and I'll get you the money next year. Watch if he holds out, he goes on IR the minute he comes back, "Oh my hamstring's tight!!!!"

...and also it gives teams the impression Wally and his agent are difficult to work with. Of course, the Bears will have assurances that a deal can be worked out, but what about next time? Why is it always about the money? 1.5 million sure is difficult to live on, aint it? :(

Steve

O-gun trade....

Offer Coming For O-Gun?
April 19th, 2004
Jason Cole reports for the Miami Herald that DE Adewale Ogunleye's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said that he believes Chicago is planning to make a trade offer to the Dolphins for defensive end Adewale Ogunleye this week before the start of the NFL draft on Saturday. This despite the fact that Chicago has repeatedly stated they do not have the cap space to sign Ogunleye nor are they willing to part with their first and third round draft picks in this weekend's draft. The Bears have reportedly offered their second-round pick, OL Aaron Gibson and a conditional pick in 2005 for O-Gun, but the Dolphins are holding firm on the stance that they wouldn't take less than the first and third round picks they were entitled to for Ogunleye as a restricted free agent.

What do you guys think....I don't know anything about this Gibson guy, is he any good??

Back
Top Bottom