Merged: Drew pressuring Phins to trade Ogun | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Drew pressuring Phins to trade Ogun

I would guess there is some interest from the Bears, but Rosenhaus better be careful in overstating the interest, because the Bears are basically just the Dolphins midwest office. Spielman and Wannstedt both came from there, know everyone in the organization, and try to sign every free agent from that team. They'll know exactly what the interest level is and how much the Bears will be willing to offer.

I think Drew is trying to stir up some bidding from some of the other teams, since once the draft happens Ogun is screwed and will be in Miami next year. Oh, and the Dolphins can slap the franchise tag on him for future years, if they want to pay him in the Taylor/Kearse range. They don't have to let him go anywhere.

Gibson is aight, though I don' want him, getting ANOTHER first would give us the ability to trade up to maybe Gallery height. Why give us a 2nd tier Tackle, when we could have a top OL, or QB, or hell, FS if we trade up? We can always trade down and get 2nd tier tackles if need be, i'd like ot see us move UP, there's depth in this draft I agree, yet there's some top tier talent out there, already a pro-bowl safety, 3 QB"s that fit the franchise bill very well, and an OT that could be the next Pace.

Oh, and the Dolphins can slap the franchise tag on him for future years, if they want to pay him in the Taylor/Kearse range. They don't have to let him go anywhere.

The franchise tag would cost us over $7 million of salary cap for one player. We had to do it to Jason Taylor and it absolutely handcuffed us until mid-July when we were allowed to extend the contract without losing the franchise tag over the life of the contract.

Thats worst than paying him Kearse money, and therefore, not really an option.

Gibson is aight, though I don' want him, getting ANOTHER first would give us the ability to trade up to maybe Gallery height. Why give us a 2nd tier Tackle, when we could have a top OL, or QB, or hell, FS if we trade up? We can always trade down and get 2nd tier tackles if need be, i'd like ot see us move UP, there's depth in this draft I agree, yet there's some top tier talent out there, already a pro-bowl safety, 3 QB"s that fit the franchise bill very well, and an OT that could be the next Pace.

Always a compelling argument. Well put.

mia4ever said:
Noteworthy: Taylor said he "would expect" Adewale Ogunleye to sign Miami's one-year tender, like he once did as a restricted free agent: "There are not a whole lot of choices, unfortunately. We've talked about it. It's tough to roll the dice on a one-year deal, but that's the nature of this business. If nobody gives up the picks and money, if you want to play, you've got to sign the tender and play."...

You gotta love the perception of these guys, :rolleyes: How tough could it be to get paid 1.8 MILLION DOLLARS to play football. Poor guy, what a sacrifice!

Tough to play for $1.8 million on a one year salary when you could easily be getting paid over $10 million up front plus base salaries of $1.8 million or more on a 6 or 7 year deal. When will people ever learn its not about you and your meager salary (and mine, which is probably even more meager than yours) vs what these guys get paid. Its about what they could be getting paid for what they do vs what they are getting paid.

When I hear stuff like that I'm just gonna start callin people communists...cuz I bet the same kinda die hard fans who find these players' salaries the most irksome are probably the same type of people that the very last thing they want to be called are communists.

You gotta love the perception of these guys, How tough could it be to get paid 1.8 MILLION DOLLARS to play football. Poor guy, what a sacrifice!

Think of it as Brewster's Millions. You're given $1.8M. You can walk away OR try to get the $40M.....

Oh, BTW, next year you might get injured while playing for $1.8M....

Oh YEA... and this is YOUR JOB.... if you do get hurt, you can always SELL CARS....

Does anyone BLAME Ogun for wanting to get MORE than $1.8M.....

It's easy to sit in front of a computer and TALK about $1.8M. What if you HAD the opportunity to chose from $1.8M or $40M..... different question indeed.

I do feel sorry for these guys.... one wrong choice and their chosing between the soup kitchen or a $10M Mansion.

I just don't see us trading him to the bears. Of course they want him but I'm not sure they have the money. I guess we'll find out soon what's going to happen.

Ozzy rules!!

I hope this is BS.....If the Bears want Ogun, then they have to give us what he is worth a 1st & a 3rd....Period.

None of that other BS of a 1st and next years 3rd or swapping 1st and a second and all that other BS thats been mentioned...nah, a 1st and a 3rd this year or nothing!!! hold your ground Rick! Ogun is a top 5 DE as we speak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ck, Hunt no doubt that Ogun is worth more than the tender offer and has every right to go after the big contract. Lets face it the question is when and from whom he gets his big check, not necessarily whether or not he gets one.

The only thing about a trade for Ogun now, before the draft, is that we get more options this year and possibly more options next year, which we desperately need. We have some holes to fill, more pressing than the hole that would be created by losing Ogun, but don't have a shovel to do fill it with.

I would not be dissapointed if we kept Ogun, but it is pretty obvious that we won't get any compensation if he stays. If Chi is offering something that fills needs for us and gives us compensation that we may not get for him next year, we should do it provided it we are talking about at least a 2nd this year, a player that can help us this year, and something day one next year.

You know, I just read that article again, and isn't this deja vu ? Didn't Punk Drew say the same thing about Chi during the league meetings...didn't he say that Chi was going to make an offer for Ogun to the Fins then too ?? It'll sure be funny if a deal does not get made and Drew has to say something like "the Bears will make an offer for Ogun as soon as the draft is over...er I mean by June 15th...er before the season starts...er whenEVER !" LOL....

NathanHunt said:
Think of it as Brewster's Millions. You're given $1.8M. You can walk away OR try to get the $40M.....

Oh, BTW, next year you might get injured while playing for $1.8M....

Oh YEA... and this is YOUR JOB.... if you do get hurt, you can always SELL CARS....

Does anyone BLAME Ogun for wanting to get MORE than $1.8M.....

It's easy to sit in front of a computer and TALK about $1.8M. What if you HAD the opportunity to chose from $1.8M or $40M..... different question indeed.

I do feel sorry for these guys.... one wrong choice and their chosing between the soup kitchen or a $10M Mansion.

binggo! The AFC's top sack leader is worth more than 1.8 but not what he's asking for either. I think the lack of interest from other teams gives Spielman the leverage to drop Ogun's asking price.

I think Spielman can wait to see what's out there in terms of trades and if nothing happens , he'll give Ogun a decent offer. If he forces Ogun to take the 1.8 or sit out, that will send the players a bad message about the fins organization "we'll screw you if we have the upper hand" . Ogun is definitely worth more than 1.8. I think Spielman wil, do the right thing.

ckparrothead said:
Tough to play for $1.8 million on a one year salary when you could easily be getting paid over $10 million up front plus base salaries of $1.8 million or more on a 6 or 7 year deal. When will people ever learn its not about you and your meager salary (and mine, which is probably even more meager than yours) vs what these guys get paid. Its about what they could be getting paid for what they do vs what they are getting paid.

Gee no kidding CK. I think we all understand the concept here, however 1.8 million is a lot of money for anyone to make in a year. NOTHING tough about it. I didn't compare his salary to mine, yours or anyone else's. I think the salaries for athletes are ridicules, just my opinion.

ckparrothead said:
When I hear stuff like that I'm just gonna start callin people communists...cuz I bet the same kinda die hard fans who find these players' salaries the most irksome are probably the same type of people that the very last thing they want to be called are communists.

Hmm, taking this a little personal?

Back
Top Bottom