Merged: Faneca signed with NYJ / UPDATE: Agent denies news | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Faneca signed with NYJ / UPDATE: Agent denies news

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3271283

Faneca, Jets agree in principle to four-year, $32M deal

ESPN.com news services

Updated: February 29, 2008, 5:26 PM ETThe New York Jets and guard Alan Faneca have agreed in principle to a four-year, $32 million deal that includes roughly $23 million in guarantees, ESPN.com's Michael Smith reports. Faneca is expected to travel to New York this weekend when the deal will be finalized. The Jets are planning on playing Faneca at left guard.
4288-1.jpg
Faneca

The departure of Faneca, a former LSU standout who had spent his entire 10-year career with the Pittsburgh Steelers, isn't much of a surprise. Although he was an unrestricted free agent, the seven-time Pro Bowler was clearly irked with the team heading into last season for its refusal to trade him or give him a contract extension he felt he was worth.

Guards such as Eric Steinbach, Derrick Dockery, Leonard Davis and Kris Dielman all signed new contracts last spring, either as free agents with new teams or extensions with their incumbent franchises, and all received deals worth about $7 million per year. None of those players has ever appeared in a Pro Bowl game.

Faneca said last spring that the Steelers' only offer to him wouldn't have made him one of the NFL's 10 highest-paid guards. He made $4.375 million last season in the final year of a $25.6 million deal he signed in 2002, but that deal was renegotiated to help the Steelers get under the salary cap.
He said last spring he would like to be traded but was resigned with staying with Pittsburgh for a final season. He skipped the Steelers' organized team activities practices in May, but did show up on time for the team's training camp.

"I've been asking since February to trade me, to let me go," Faneca said. "I've done my piece. I've done my time. I've done everything I can for this organization. I've lived and breathed Steeler football for nine years and gave them everything I've had and helped them win a Super Bowl. In my mind, I've earned the right to be treated fairly."

Faneca's criticism was virtually unprecedented for a Steelers player so accomplished -- only a handful of players in team history have made All-Pro more than he has.

The Steelers usually re-sign their key players and, thanks greatly to player-friendly owner Dan Rooney, have long been considered the NFL's model franchise for handling players.

That these barbed remarks came from Faneca, an accessible but almost never outspoken player, made his pointed comments all the more surprising. Faneca was worried that, if he sustained a career-ending injury, he would have no contract protection beyond 2007.

"To make me go out there this year and play football with no security, just to go out there and play football, for what I've done for this organization, in my mind, it's not right," he said.

In New York, Faneca will join a talented offensive line that includes left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson and center Nick Mangold as the Jets try to boost an offense that ranked 26th in the NFL last year in yards per game (294.7) and 19th in rushing yards per game (106.3).
Michael Smith covers the NFL for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

:kick::clap::rimshot::buddwalk::dancing:

wow the Jets are going to be a good team next year..there are a lot of good players that are reported to visit them. Going to be a good division next year instead of a runaway by the Patriots
let's hope niether happends

I Agree with you two. People need to realize we (like a lot of teams) would love to have Faneca on their team. But it comes down to $$$. Do we want to spend that kind of money on a guard when we are probably a couple years from being a contender. While a great G, Faneca alone won't make us a contending team. So we need to smartly invest our money in good, but reasonable players and draft guys in behind them for our future. Not sure how he magically stinks now that the NYJ's might be getting him. Will the Jets have a better OL if they get him? Yes. Will they have to spend a LOT of money to get him? Yes. That's OK, more money for a G, means less they can spend on other positions. We all have the same salary cap, so let them spend what they want on their G, and we'll spend ours on other positions we need need to.

ya hopefully the money we spent on D line will help stop faneca from opening holes one thing i hate is Jenkins and faneca are in our division now. ouchh

My understanding is that he's not signed yet. Should happen over the weekend. The Jets have been in this boat before and players have backed out at the last minute. Past experience is definitely keeping my enthusiasm in check here.

Alan Faneca

Jets just signed him to a 4 year contract..

Sorry, I know this doesnt belong here but thought you guys would like to know

Definitely seems like the Jets were the only ones even considering giving him what he wanted.

That's one hell of an offensive line. I'm going to have to strongly consider drafting a Jets RB in fantasy next season...

Fanecas agent denies

Alan Faneca's agent denies that his client as signed with the Jets.
"False report. It's a false report," agent Rick Smith said. ESPN's website reported the two sides agreed to a four-year, $32 million contract. It appears Faneca is still weighing offers from the Rams and 49ers.
Source: Newsday

Back
Top Bottom