Merged:Fat Hank on Now.....Has Insight...... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged:Fat Hank on Now.....Has Insight......

Originally posted by ohall

What leads you to that conclusion?

Oliver...

Well, there are agreements to be made in miami. He has to turn into the end of the deal. Miami Can simply release him in 2 years and get a cap hit of 3.5 millions.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
True that. Also, remember that last offseason Boston was a lot more attractive to teams than he is this offseason, and even then the best deal he received was a deal that paid him only like $4 million on signing, with a structure that made it easy for the Chargers to release him within a year if they had a problem with him.

Now, they have that problem and it looks like he's out of there. No team will sweep in and give David Boston the kind of money we can't offer. And getting Boston means we have options in the first round. Question marks everywhere, but no gaping holes that force us to put the blinders on every single position other than WR. I feel it would be a mistake to step into draft day intent simply on picking up the best WR left on the board when we get to #20.

Target the guys you like and you want. Some will fall further than you expected and some will get taken higher than you expected, but having a guy like David Boston gives you that option of going with a first round WR, or maybe going with a Rivers if he makes a dramatic fall down the draft board, or going ahead and grabbing Shawn Andrews if he falls for character issues...or maybe Jake Grove, or maybe Vernon Carey, or maybe DE Will Smith (depending on the Ogun thing), or maybe a DT to replace one of our aging gap fillers. Options are best when drafting especially in the first round.

Boston wasn't attractive at all after coming out of an injury year.

David Boston was a Free Agent last year. What has changed this year to make him worth a trade?

David Boston: When in Phoenix, the buffed-up former Cardinals receiver reportedly asked defensive teammates not to hit him in the shoulder pads during practice because it irritated his nipple rings.

Originally posted by dolfan4good
Hank just said the Fins nedd to "Step up to the plate" and stop "waiting around"!

Hank needs to step away from the buffet line and wait to eat......the guy is not looking good..........

Everyone knows that none of those sports columnists knows a damn thing about football players.:rolleyes:

Boston is risky I would give up a 3rd rd choice but would give him 1 mill and incentives to make more

Originally posted by fairbanksb
Everyone knows that none of those sports columnists knows a damn thing about football players.:rolleyes:

While you are right 99.9 % of the time. Carolina Panthers GM, Herney I believe his name is, was a sports writer in the Washington area and he has done a rather good job.

Originally posted by fairbanksb

Yeah, stupid columnists .... SAAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!! :lol:

most players contracts that are so heavily backloaded know that there is a high probability they won't see it all....ala...Madison and his agent new upfront.....and many other players and agents etc. continually restructure, trade & restructure, take salary cuts, are just cut altogether etc. Boston knows that in order to increase his market appeal, regardless of a trade or just looking to get signed (if he is cut) will have to be more flexible on his contract and it won't be as loaded, up-front or on the back-end.

If I'm not mistaken....Boston and his agent know that his contract would have to be restructured and renegotiated in order for him to be feasible to most teams and I see it happening regardless of where he goes.

Now the question is, will RS decide to give up a 3rd round pick for him or not? I think it's worth it, and from what I can tell most of the fans here do as well. The only valid arguments are his current contract and his potential drug use to which 1) his contract will be cut down and 2) his contract will be written with clauses so we're not high and dry if he does test positive or screws up somewhere......so...those are no longer valid arguments in my mind as to why we can't get him. The only thing stopping us is whether we will trade a pick for him, and to me that should be a no-brainer considering the number of busts everyone picks in the 3rd round of the draft that never pan out to be anything more then a backup or don't even make it through training camp. Who was it who compared picks from RS/Wannstedt and all the GMs we were looking at getting a few months ago?.....maybe a review is needed to see exactly the value of a 3rd round pick.

Value of a 3rd round pick:

Wanny/RS -

Wade Smith (starter, good thing or not)
Taylor Whitley (possible starter next year, trade for this years 2nd)

Seth McKinney (probable starter next year)

Travis Minor
Morlon Greenwood (trade for 2002 2nd rounder)

Ben Kelly (biggest 3rd round bust for Dave/RS)

That makes 3/4 of the six starters next year.
That makes 1 of the six a career back-up.
That makes 1 bust.

Still there isn't a guy on the list that I wouldn't trade straight up for David Boston.

3rd Rounders (JJ) -

Grey Ruegamer (Who?)

Brad Jackson (See comment on Ruegamer)
Larry Shannon (Special teamer for a year or two)

Jason Taylor (Stud)
Derrick Rodgers (Decent starter early in career)
Ronny Ward (Who?)
Brent Smith (Decent starter until injuries set-in)

Dorian Brew (who?)
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (average to below-average starter)

With the exception of Taylor, nobody that wouldn't be traded for Boston straight-up. So, that is 1 out of 15 picks in the last eight years that would be considered better than Boston.

Originally posted by Section126

Hank needs to step away from the buffet line and wait to eat......the guy is not looking good..........

Agreed.

3rd Rounders (Shula 1980-1995) -

Terry Kirby
Larry Webster
Aaron Craver
Alfred Oglesby
Ferrull Edmonds
TJ Turner
George Little
Alex Moyer
Charles Benson
Paul Lankford
Bill Barnett

Shula was much better in the 70's having picked Tony Nathan, Nat Moore, Jimmy Cefalo, Tim Foley, and Duriel Harris.

Overall 3rd rounders are not as valuable as I would have thought. Provide depth and an occasional superstar over the last twenty years, but nothing really to write home about (Taylor excluded).

Back
Top Bottom