Merged: Free Agent QB Thread | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Free Agent QB Thread

Disgustipate said:
Brees dont fit Miami's offense at all. He's not particularly mobile, and has one of the weakest arms for a start in the league.

Actually Brees is pretty mobile and he USE to have one of the weakest arms. But that was before he worked on his mechanics, diet, and got healthy. He added like 20% more velocity on his ball and he now has an arm that is very comparable to Tom Brady's. If you disagree, you probably haven't seen him throw much in 2004 or 2005.

ckparrothead said:
Actually Brees is pretty mobile and he USE to have one of the weakest arms. But that was before he worked on his mechanics, diet, and got healthy. He added like 20% more velocity on his ball and he now has an arm that is very comparable to Tom Brady's. If you disagree, you probably haven't seen him throw much in 2004 or 2005.

the extra fiber gives him that extra, "umph!" :D

The wild card is IMO that it is believed that Smith prefers Rivers. It certainly makes more financial sense for them to trade Brees rather than pay him the franchise amount or pay the huge signing bonus a multi-year deal will command. It may come down to whether the owner wants to spend the cash. I have no idea.

For a guy that will probably play another 7 years and be a franchise QB? We would have to give up potentially the 15th pick this year and (lets say 22nd next year). I would be willing to give up those picks for a guy that can and shoud produce wins for our team.

Or I am satisfied with Gus who can potentially put up 11-12 wins next season and we have a decent draft pick the next couple of years.

This offseason will be exciting regardless.

ckparrothead said:

Well one thing in his favor is he never had as good of a WR corp as he should have but considering that he'd be downgrading from L.T. to our running game(small downgrade as it is), and Gates to McMicheal I don't know if we'd have improved his chances that much.

KyPhinfan13 said:
I don't think Saban would even part with 1 first round pick for Brees, much less 2 1st rounders. I would love it if Brees was a Dolphin, but I think that giving up a 1st rounder for him would be making a mistake.

Wouldn't Brees have to sign the tender in order for the Chargers to get compensation? I would find it unlikely that he would sign if he knew he might be on the block. I think he would rather leave as a free agent and find a team he likes. Similar to what Corey Simon did last year.

Maynard said:
does anyone know if rivers will play this sunday? that may give some indication of the chargers intention

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/scorecard/12/28/truth.rumors.nfl/1.html

Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer said he recognized why some fans might want to see Philip Rivers start his first pro game this weekend. But he never considered replacing Drew Brees, who is 20-10 as a starter since Rivers joined the team last year.
-- San Diego Union-Tribune

IMO...

Heres how it works out....(just a prediction)

Bolts stay with Rivers. (I want Rivers in Miami..but in San Diego he stays). The Jets trade Chad Pennington and their first round draft pick to San Diego to aquire Brees.

Bolts get a year with Rivers..and a full year to have Pennington get healthy. Then when Pennington gets healthy....they can again trade a very good QB for more draft picks. Which will end up being high draft picks.

Now...Im not sure of the finacial ramifications of all this...ask my wife..finances arent my strong point.

I believe this would have to be before San Diego makes him a franchise player..otherwise the Jets would have to give up 2 first roud picks.

vt_dolfan said:
IMO...

Heres how it works out....(just a prediction)

Bolts stay with Rivers. (I want Rivers in Miami..but in San Diego he stays). The Jets trade Chad Pennington and their first round draft pick to San Diego to aquire Brees.

Bolts get a year with Rivers..and a full year to have Pennington get healthy. Then when Pennington gets healthy....they can again trade a very good QB for more draft picks. Which will end up being high draft picks.

Now...Im not sure of the finacial ramifications of all this...ask my wife..finances arent my strong point.

This isn't basketball or baseball. Pennington would get cut outright. The confusing situation for the Chargers is if they tender Brees and he signs, then they'll have to trade Rivers and end up having a huge amount of money AGAIN spent at QB.

Jaj said:
This isn't basketball or baseball. Pennington would get cut outright. The confusing situation for the Chargers is if they tender Brees and he signs, then they'll have to trade Rivers and end up having a huge amount of money AGAIN spent at QB.

OK...Im not up on the business side of things of football...admitadly..but why would the Jets cut Pennington outright?

The Chargers wouldn't want damaged goods simply said. That's way too much signing bonuses and such and such being traded around. Way too large salaries changing hands.

Jaj said:
The Chargers wouldn't want damaged goods simply said. That's way too much signing bonuses and such and such being traded around. Way too large salaries changing hands.

Good points...they would have to pay Rivers contract....Penningtons contract...and a high round draft picks contract.

What would make the most sense for the Jets to get Brees?

Their 2nd round pick+their 4th pick+a conditional 2-3rd the year after and a cheap player that the Chargers could use well like Bryan Thomas or something.

Back
Top Bottom