Merged: Free Agent QB Thread | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Free Agent QB Thread

I think Josh McCown could be a solid fit for this team. Good size and arm strength plus NFL experience on his resume. He will be a FA and could be had for far less then a first rd pick at the same position. I know Josh had good WR's to throw to, but so does Joey Harrington and we know what he's done with top 5 DP WR's. I don't think we need a superstar at QB to be SB champs, but a QB that just doesn't make a lot of mistakes and can simply keep the chains moving.

ckparrothead said:
Man I've said it all along...the man left without a chair will be Drew Brees. Missing the playoffs virtually seals it, in my book. The day the San Diego Chargers trade Phil Rivers will be one day where you see a seriously dumbfounded look on my face.

Thats the day we will do the Iriish Jig Parrott, may I have the next jig Sir?......:eek:

ckparrothead said:
Man I've said it all along...the man left without a chair will be Drew Brees. Missing the playoffs virtually seals it, in my book. The day the San Diego Chargers trade Phil Rivers will be one day where you see a seriously dumbfounded look on my face.

I think San Diego shot themselves in foot with this one, Rivers has sat so long his value in trade is not worth the first rd investment they made. How can they trade Brees, he's a probowl QB and he is not the reason they did not make the playoffs. I think that falls on the shoulders of LT, too many games this year where LT didn't shgow up and help the Chargers win. Normaly I wouldn't blame just one player, but if LT is gonna walk around with this crown of being the best football player in the league you need to be the one to carry the load and get things done when times get tough. I just don't think LT is this great back he's been touted. As for the Chargers all they can do is trade Brees, he will be the only one to give the Chargers any trading power and it will also free up some 9 mill to their salary cap. That being said I don't think there is a snowballs chance in hell we get Brees.

I would love it if Brees was a Dolphin, but I think that giving up a 1st rounder for him would be making a mistake.

Wow, this board REALLY overvalues draft-day quarterbacks. I would give up our first for either of San Diego's quarterbacks in a heartbeat.

Or I am satisfied with Gus who can potentially put up 11-12 wins next season and we have a decent draft pick the next couple of years.

:sidelol:

Somewhere along the line people started to get this idea that Gus Ferrote is ten times better than he is. The 30th ranked (and falling, lest ou think that was all first half) quarterback in the league isn't going to magically wake up as Peyton Manning next year.

nopony said:
Wow, this board REALLY overvalues draft-day quarterbacks. I would give up our first for either of San Diego's quarterbacks in a heartbeat.

Somewhere along the line people started to get this idea that Gus Ferrote is ten times better than he is. The 30th ranked (and falling, lest ou think that was all first half) quarterback in the league isn't going to magically wake up as Peyton Manning next year.

If you guys don't think that Josh McCown with a running game can't do better than Gus Frerrote with a far better OL as well I don't know what some of you guys are thinking...

feelthepain said:
I think San Diego shot themselves in foot with this one, Rivers has sat so long his value in trade is not worth the first rd investment they made. How can they trade Brees, he's a probowl QB and he is not the reason they did not make the playoffs. I think that falls on the shoulders of LT, too many games this year where LT didn't shgow up and help the Chargers win. Normaly I wouldn't blame just one player, but if LT is gonna walk around with this crown of being the best football player in the league you need to be the one to carry the load and get things done when times get tough. I just don't think LT is this great back he's been touted. As for the Chargers all they can do is trade Brees, he will be the only one to give the Chargers any trading power and it will also free up some 9 mill to their salary cap. That being said I don't think there is a snowballs chance in hell we get Brees.

Drew Brees is not THE reason they missed the playoffs, but he is A reason they missed it. When teams attack the Chargers' offensive line and shut down LaDainian Tomlinson, Drew Brees does not carry that team on his back. He can't. When you hold L.T. to so-so production, Drew Brees becomes the OLD Drew, not the new Drew.

And I personally think Keenan McCardell is still a very good WR, always year for year one of the most underrated guys out there. Always year for year one of the most productive guys out there. Listen, it's quite an accomplishment when you can switch teams in MID-SEASON and learn the playbook and make an impact in that season. That's when I found a whole new respect for Keenan and came to realize, hey there was a reason Keenan and Jimmy Smith had so many dual-100 yard games in Jacksonville. Unlike many tandems that will go down in history where one was a flash in the pan and the other was the real guy carrying the load, they were both actually good.

I look at Drew Brees playing and I like him. Is he a franchise signal caller? No. They drafted Phil Rivers because they thought he WOULD be a franchise signal caller. Instead of getting all scared and pulling a Wannstedt, they should stick to their guns and FIND OUT if Rivers is the guy they thought he'd be when they drafted him. And if they didn't think he would be as good as Brees has been the past two years, then they wouldn't have drafted Rivers #4.

BALLS DEEP said:
Why? For the same first rounder you can get a rookie who needs to get aclimated to the pros. Thaen after he does you aren't guaranteed that he'll pan out. For the same first rounder you can get Brees? A proven commodity? Where do we sign?

I agree if you can spend a first rounder on Brees then do it

Missing the playoff realy hurts his chances to stay with the Bolts IMO. Their GM has been a Rivers guy all along and now he has the amo to say that "Brees didnt get it done and we need to make a switch." Or somthing to that effect.

Jaj said:
If you guys don't think that Josh McCown with a running game can't do better than Gus Frerrote with a far better OL as well I don't know what some of you guys are thinking...

Josh Mccown? He hasnt proved anything except that he can throw picks.
PCT yds TD INT
2003 Arizona Cardinals 8 3 166 95 57.2 1018 6.13 60 5 6 25/174 11 2 70.3 2004 Arizona Cardinals 14 13 408 233 57.1 2511 6.15 48 11 10 31/263 30 3 74.1 2005 Arizona Cardinals 8 5 228 132 57.9 1539 6.75 49 8 10 15/88 20 6 71.9

The coach will know if there is something there I am not worried about that. I don't see it, but I am no expert.

finfan75 said:
Josh Mccown? He hasnt proved anything except that he can throw picks.
PCT yds TD INT
2003 Arizona Cardinals 8 3 166 95 57.2 1018 6.13 60 5 6 25/174 11 2 70.3 2004 Arizona Cardinals 14 13 408 233 57.1 2511 6.15 48 11 10 31/263 30 3 74.1 2005 Arizona Cardinals 8 5 228 132 57.9 1539 6.75 49 8 10 15/88 20 6 71.9

The coach will know if there is something there I am not worried about that. I don't see it, but I am no expert.

Actually....he is still really young...so picks are gonna happen.

I don't like Brees in our system for his price tag. If he came cheaper then yes, but we need to fill holes on the OL & beef up our aging defense before we start throwing around 1st and 2nd round picks.
After the amazing sh*t Saban did in this last draft I'll put all my chips on seeing what he can do this year...

In the end I think we'd have to consider sending a 2nd round pick for Drew Brees. But if they asked for more than that I'd laugh in their faces.

nopony said:

Yeah, that.

Even if you consider Brees only an above-average QB he's well worth a mid-first round pick. And he's well above average. He's 26, coming off 2 straight years of 65% completions, a lot more TDs than INTs and a passer rating of 89 or better. And he's done it with a mediocre group of WRs. What kind of QB do you people think you can get in the mid first round? Since Marino in '83, the only good quarterback to be taken after the mid-point of the first round is Pennington. All the rest have been busts.

ckparrothead said:
In the end I think we'd have to consider sending a 2nd round pick for Drew Brees. But if they asked for more than that I'd laugh in their faces.

I could see a 2nd this year and another later pick from next year's draft (like a 4th). That later pick could be conditional, but I'd prefer if it weren't. Then we take Huff (S) in the first and Alabi develops into a star LT and my top 3 offseason concerns are met. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom