Merged: Giants Fan Giveing Info On Allen | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Giants Fan Giveing Info On Allen

GCD960 said:
thanks for the info..

i can get over the int thing as long as he continues to deflect

You say good man to man cover, what about zone packages?
Will tends to play rather soft in zone. He seems willing to let a WR catch the ball, and just make the tackle for a 5 yard gain. He tackles well enough that it seems to be pretty effective. He wont give up much YAC. It does however tend to sometimes lead to long drives.

GiantsFanMan said:
Hi, I'm a Giants fan, and I just saw you guys sign W.Allen. I thought I come here to give you fokes some info on the player you just got. I know I like it when people do it for us. Anyway here we go.

PROS: Allen is a very fast CB and he can cover man to man alot better then most Giants fans like to admit. Allen can/has gone weeks without geting burned. He can do this even up against elite WRs. He is a very good tackler in run support, and has a good attitude/work ethic.

CONS: Allen is a horrible leaper, and never plays a jump ball at its highest point. As I said Will can go weeks without geting beat, but for whatever reason 1-2 times a year. Allen gets his *** handed to him, and he will look just completely lost. This tends to make Giants fans think he worse then he really is. The games he gets smoked in just tend to stick out in peoples minds because when he stinks he really stinks. There is also one other problem with his cover skills, he can't catch. Dont think I'am overstating this. HE CAN NOT CATCH!!! Beg him, coach him, or pray for him none of it will help. Allen would be a HOF CB if he could catch. He gets his hands on about 5-8 easy INTs a year, but he is lucky if he holds onto one. Finaly Will does get banged up a bit, but he is not one of them always injured guys. So its just a minor worry.

Pretty much like Madison right now but younger. Granted Sam can catch but tackling is an issue and when he's bad, he really bad. The worst is in big games he ALWAYS get the unsportsman like calls or PI calls. I guess that be my next question did Allen get a lot of penalty's called on him?

IAFINFAN said:
Pretty much like Madison right now but younger. Granted Sam can catch but tackling is an issue and when he's bad, he really bad. The worst is in big games he ALWAYS get the unsportsman like calls or PI calls. I guess that be my next question did Allen get a lot of penalty's called on him?
No, Allen plays pretty clean. He never gets flaged, I never really thought about that before. It is kind of amazing how clean he plays when I think about it now. I guess his speed prevents him from having to grab or bump much.

IAFINFAN said:

:lol:

Take great heed of this warning Giantsfan.

The thing that has always driven me crazy about Madison is how he lets his mouth override his brain during the worst times. Don't be surprised when you see him give a team an extra 15 yards during a pivotal point in a game because he can't keep his yap shut. You've been warned so don't choke on your pizza, just expect it!

Madison can still shut down middle tier receivers but when he gets matched up against an elite he can get toasted pretty good. Madison has an aversion to tackling as well.

Still he's a good CB and there will be games where you won't hear from the receiver he's covering at all. Overall, he'll make you happy.

GiantsFanMan said:
No, Allen plays pretty clean. He never gets flaged, I never really thought about that before. It is kind of amazing how clean he plays when I think about it now. I guess his speed prevents him from having to grab or bump much.

Music to my ears!

i'll take dropped ints over getting burnt.

Hell, I'll take him giving up a first down, but tackling right away after watching Howard try and tackle Dwight in the first Pats game:boohoo:

GiantsFanMan said:

That's all I needed to know, Thanks for the info. Madison is still a great CB but he is a step slower and that I feel results in his recent bad timing on penalty's. For that couple of bad games he will have there will also be a couple you will really enjoy. The other issue Saban might have felt he was expendable might have been the trash talking. Don't think Saban likes it and if Allen dropped that many balls doubt he talked too much trash. Should work out well for both teams. For the money Madison was a get for the Giants.

Sam hasn't been able to bring in INT's like he did in his early years either. Right in his his chest with 6 the other way and he drops it.

Also one thing that most likely didn't fly w/ Saban and surely won't with Coughlin is that Madison is good for a personal foul every other game. Also he's good for a P.I. or defensive illegal contact every other game.

I think we let him go because press coverage isn't our CBs technique any longer as much as zone CBs are now in our defensive scheme.

With Sam you will get a good press coverage CB who can read the QBs eyes which sometimes causes him to gamble, and those gambles sometimes payoff, sometimes they don't. And he is a poor tackler. But if NYGs scheme places more emphasis on man-to-man CB coverage than corners who can tackle in run-support than you made a good pickup.

Yeah, Madison will really rough a guy up. Most games he gets by with it, but occasionaly you'll get a game where the refs will eat him up. It takes him out of his game a bit (see the panthers game last year... the refs called everything and Smith went off on Madison.) Overall a great corner, though.

Man, look at all the Madison knocking in here. Amazing.

Granted, he is declining and he doesn't fit Saban's system. But he had a good 2005 and was very solid down the stretch. Even in the tackling department.

Allen fits the system better. So he should do pretty well for himself. But he'll be lucky if he ever reaches Madison's class. Sam was an All-Pro.

We should be knocking Reggie Howard instead, he was so bad, he makes Will Allen look like Champ Bailey.

Muck said:

Granted, he is declining and he doesn't fit Saban's system. But he had a good 2005 and was very solid down the stretch. Even in the tackling department.

Allen fits the system better. So he should do pretty well for himself. But he'll be lucky if he ever reaches Madison's class. Sam was an All-Pro.

I was taking more shots towards Howard, Jackson, and Thomas than Madison. The only thing I've really said about Madison is he and Allen are basically an even swap, just that Allen has more speed.

Muck said:

Yes, Sam WAS the definiton of shut down.... however, Allen is younger, faster, has the potential (Especially now with Saban) to cover as well as Sam, and can tackle 5 times better than Sam could ever dream....

Im not sure if Allen WILL be an upgrade over Sam, but, given the system, and given our coaching staff, Allen has the POTENTIAL to be as good or better than Madison was the last 2 or 3 years... (Not years previous to that... previous years Sam was a top 5 corner)....

Seahawks | Team made competitive offer for W. Allen
Sun, 19 Mar 2006 16:16:21 -0800
<A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/9">ESPN.com's John Clayton reports the Seattle Seahawks made a competitive bid for CB Will Allen before he decided to sign with the Miami Dolphins. The contract in some ways had a better structure than the Dolphins' offer, but Allen decided to stay on the East Coast instead of moving to the west. (I BET! :D )

Hehe.... God I love Saban... and by god I love Miami.... its great to be a Dol-phan right now...... it truely..... truely..... is..

Back
Top Bottom