Merged: Henson News/Miami one of several teams interested in QB Drew Henson | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Henson News/Miami one of several teams interested in QB Drew Henson

MARLINSFAN305

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Drew Henson News

There was some speculation that Henson might be an option to fill the Yankees' void at third base, but Henson -- who signed a six-year, $17 million contract with the Yankees in 2001 -- has struggled in the minor leagues. Last season, his second at Triple-A Columbus, he hit just .234.

Henson's representatives at IMG, the sports marketing and representation giant, remain in discussions with Yankees officials about settling the remaining three years of the contract. Henson has a guaranteed $12 million coming to him, with base salaries of $2.2 million in 2004, of $3.8 million in '05 and $6 million in '06.

While his agents and the Yankees attempt to strike a settlement that addresses issues that both sides have, Henson has been working out and reshaping his football skills at IMG's facility in Bradenton, Fla., with former NFL quarterbacks coach Larry Kennan.

Says that Drew would be no worse than 3rd best QB in this draft if he were to re-enter draft.

Link to Story

I like Rivers but I think Henson is better. Maybe we can trade a future 2nd rounder for Henson (assuming he signs with Houston).

Originally posted by Breed
I like Rivers but I think Henson is better. Maybe we can trade a future 2nd rounder for Henson (assuming he signs with Houston).

There really is no reason for him to sign with Houston. He's probably a first round talent, but in order to sign he would have to fall under Houstons rookie pool from 2003, and I'm pretty sure they don't have much money left in that. I could see him re-entering the draft but it will be interesting to see if he stays in Baseball now that Aaron Boone is probably out for the season and the Yankees not having a replacement for him.

I definitely think he re-enters the draft. If he does it will be interesting to see where he fits in with Rivers and Losman. I trust the Fins scouting staff to do their homework.

"There really is no reason for him to sign with Houston. He's probably a first round talent, but in order to sign he would have to fall under Houstons rookie pool from 2003, and I'm pretty sure they don't have much money left in that."

I guess it depends on how much he (and his agent) thinks he's worth. I don't see him getting much more than late 1st round money (probably early 2nd).

"I could see him re-entering the draft but it will be interesting to see if he stays in Baseball now that Aaron Boone is probably out for the season and the Yankees not having a replacement for him."

He was horrible in AAA. It's bad enough that he hit for a low AVG and struck out a lot......but he never took any walks either (making it harder to have a decent OBP). I don't see him going back to baseball. If he re-enters the draft I see him going in the early 2nd.

The texans have the rights on him until the draft itself then he re-enters. He doesn't need to sign with the Texans in order for them to trade his rights away to another team. Word is they want a first round pick and the Pittsburgh Steelers have been in contact with the Texans about it, but don't want to give the first round pick.

I don't know where the middle ground will be in negotiations though. The closer you get to the draft the less Houston will be able to ask because teams know if it lasts all the way to draft day Houston will lose him anyway without compensation. Then again the closer to the draft, the less chance of successful negotiations between the team and Henson's agent over a contract. Those baseball salaries are pretty high. I believe Henson would have to give back some signing bonus to get out of his baseball contract. The thinking is he'd get so much from a football team that he could do that...

But what if the agent wants him to be paid like the top five pick he was before he left for baseball? And if a team trades a 2nd rounder about 3 weeks before the draft, the agent knows he's got ALL the leverage.

The best bet might be to just re-enter the draft. If he does, that can only be a good sign for us getting Rivers.

Originally posted by Breed

I guess it depends on how much he (and his agent) thinks he's worth. I don't see him getting much more than late 1st round money (probably early 2nd).

There's a big difference between money for a 2nd rounder and money for a 6th rounder.

Originally posted by kasaba13
Would you trade Ogunleye for him?

I would trade Ogun for him and we swap are third for there second. Then we draft a WR at 20 and with ahigh second we draft a O-line, but the trade only goes throught if he signs, if not the trade is off. Just think we get QB (henson), WR hpefully clayton, and maybe be able to land Jacobs with the second pretty good draft day, don"t you think. I want he in the draft cause if he is there it only helps even if we can't draft him. After the combine he will drop Rivers down to the #4 QB in the draft, rivers jsut don't have his skills. This guy was rated to be the best QB in his draft year had he stayed, was called a Fanchise QB and was compared to Elway. I watch all most all his college games and he can make all the throws, and is moble. As a soph. he was all ready taking time away from Brady thats got to tell you he is prtty good. and hes got that QB attitude and can get his team fired up.

How long's it been since he took a snap? I think I'd rather go with someone fresh outta' college.

This is great news. That means it will drop Rivers And Losman. This is great news indeed.:tongue:

Originally posted by tylaw4president

There's a big difference between money for a 2nd rounder and money for a 6th rounder.

Did I say otherwise?

Last edited by a moderator:
A Yankee official on Rotoworld baseball website has said Henson is not even being entertained as an option to fill teh 3rd base role. Miguel Cairo would be the guy right now with Erick Almonte the outside guy. They'll go after another proven guy to fill the spot.

Ya know....if Henson drops and we have a choice between him and Rivers at #20....where do u guys think we should go with that?

Henson is the one I hope we get. Hopefully he signs a deal with Houston & he's traded to us for a conditional 2nd or 3rd in 05 or 06.

Back
Top Bottom