Merged: Henson News/Miami one of several teams interested in QB Drew Henson | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Henson News/Miami one of several teams interested in QB Drew Henson

Originally posted by ckparrothead
The texans have the rights on him until the draft itself then he re-enters. He doesn't need to sign with the Texans in order for them to trade his rights away to another team.

In order to trade his rights they have to sign him first and they can only do that under the 2003 rookie pool.

If the Texans don't sign Henson before the April draft, he will go back into the player pool and then can be selected by another team. The primary benefit in such a maneuver would be that Henson would earn a much more lucrative contract than if he signs with Houston, which is limited by rookie pool rules in what it can pay.

That's from an espn.com article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1720245

He will go back in draft. He would be stupid not too. He will almost be assured of going in the first round.

Heck yah I would take him. He looks very sharp already, imagine after a couple more months.

So we want somebody that has'nt played in four years but we don't want someone that is better or just as good that just got out of college that don't make sinse.

More like 2. No actually Henson has looked very sharp and has no downsides.

He is only turning 24. He is that good.

Originally posted by Noland
So we want somebody that has'nt played in four years but we don't want someone that is better or just as good that just got out of college that don't make sinse.
The reason for that is Henson has the chance to be a franchise QB and Pro bowler, while I think rivers will be a good QB but not a great QB. Hensons talent level is just higher then Rivers.

We know nothing about Henson. Until the phins scouts see him in workouts then all we really know is we have a rookie, 4 years removed from the game who was "thought" to be super good if he played in the NFL. Unless he wows us...I'd still go w/ Rivers, who, IMO will be a frnachise QB.

BTW, for those who may have followed Henson when he was in college, how would you rate him as compared to Eli and Ben? Did he have a rocket arm like Ben? Was he a mature master of the game like everyone says Eli is? Just curious since I know very little about Henson.

No not 4 years. 3.

Yes obviously they know something about him.

I would say his arm in college. Hmm. I will give you who I think his NFL comparison type players is. Troy Aikman.

I can't say I know much PERSONALLY about Henson, but I remember reading the articles and hype about him when he made the decision to forego football for his baseball career.

Most articles EVEN AT THE TIME, said if he were to enter the draft as a Junior he would have likely been a top-5 pick and most definitely the highest QB taken, and had he stayed for his senior and been successful, it is very likely that he would have been the #1 pick overall. All the articles I saw were flabergasted that he was giving up football because many beleived him to be in that upper-level of elite players capable of being a franchise player for many years, but baseball was his first love and he stuck with his heart (the $$$ the Yankees were offering didn't hurt.)

I REALLY beleive that Henson has everything necessary to be successful in the NFL, and while it will take a while to readjust to the game, that he will still has a better chacne of succeeding than most college QB's do. He could be a good value at #20.

Here's the way I see it, you have Rivers... who not more than 3 weeks ago was projected as a THIRD round pick, but who's value is being hyped up because of a lack of quality QB's in the NFL.... or you take a chance on a guy who would have likely been the #1 overall pick of some team a few year's back....

Drew Henson last years stats. Jr.
9 games 2140 yards Avg. 237.8 a game
Longest pass 81
-6 yards rushing

Rivers Rookie year #'s 3,054 yards Avg.254.5
passing eff. 126.09
81 yard td pass
career long 88
Rushing 73 attemps. 85 yards 2 tds.

These are facts that both are good and about the same I don't see were Henson is better alot of people talk like he is god an he really did'nt prove hisself enough to me and Rivers played four years played excellent better #'s that Henson an he still can't prove it to you.

Just an opinion Henson is hyped up.

Also Henson jr. year 61.6%passing 18tds 4 ints.

Rivers fresman year 53.7% passing 25 td's 15 ints

first game of career 29-57 14.7 yards per pass
397 yards 3tds that tell you that his arm don'r were out to fast.

It's just so hard to compare guys when they are sep by 3 years and play in diff conferences, etc.

I guess my feelings right now are that the Phins are in a win/win situation should he reenter the draft. Our scouts will check everyone out and rank them, then see who arrives at #20. At that time they can see if whoever remains warrants the pick or if there is another position player higher ranked.

If we really want a potential franchise QB this year, having Henson enter just expands the options and makes the probablility higher, IMO.

Miami one of several teams reportedly interested in QB Drew Henson

Texans still shopping QB Henson...ESPN is running a story by Len Pasquarelli which indicates that Houston is still actively looking to sign and trade former Michigan QB Drew Henson who spent the past few years as a minor league 3rd baseman with the New York Yankees.

The Texans selected Henson with a 6th round pick at the 2003 draft with the express of option of trading his rights elsewhere. If the Texans can't make a deal before the 2004 draft, however, Henson will go back into this year's draft class where he would be expected to be a high pick, possibly the #3 QB selected after Eli Manning of Misissippi and Miami of Ohio junior Ben Roethlisberger.

There have been some concerns in Houston the past week or so that Henson's days with the Yankees might not be over after current Yankees' 3rd baseman Aaron Boone was lost for the upcoming season when he tore an ACL playing basketball. Henson, who has never hit over .250 in his minor league, however, is likely not considered a potential replacement for Boone.

Indeed, Henson and the Yankees are reportedly deep in negotiations to find a mutual way to settle the outstanding part of Henson's guaranteed contract with the Yankees which still has three years to run.

Meanwhile, Henson is reportedly working out at his agent IMG's training facility in Bradenton, Florida. Teams that are reportedly interested in Henson include Buffalo, Miami, Pittsburgh, Kansas City and Green Bay.

http://www.gbnreport.com/

Back
Top Bottom