MERGED:Jason Cole says Dolphins are winners in FA/Agents ticked off at Fins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED:Jason Cole says Dolphins are winners in FA/Agents ticked off at Fins

TXFinFan

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11931012/

WINNERS

3. Dolphins
Any team that gets a possible established franchise quarterback for a second-round pick has done quite well. The Dolphins did that with Daunte Culpepper after getting him in a trade from Minnesota. The obvious risk is that Culpepper’s right knee isn’t healthy yet and may not be until late October or November. The Dolphins also lost reliable quarterback Gus Frerotte to St. Louis, but are expected to sign Tommy Maddox in a few days. Not that this was all the Dolphins did. Aside from Culpepper, the Dolphins signed cornerbacks Andre Goodman and Will Allen, cornerback-safety Reynaldo Hill, left tackle L.J. Shelton and linebacker Sedrick Hodge. That’s four or five starters. There were some losses, such as Frerotte, cornerback Sam Madison and linebacker Junior Seau, but the team got a lot younger in the process.

Also in the article:

"Several agents of top free agents expressed mild irritation with the Dolphins for bringing in their players early in free-agent process but not making offers. The normal protocol is if a team is going to as a free agent to come in right away, it means there is serious business. The Dolphins didn’t do that and some agents said privately they will think twice before sending a top player to Miami early in the process next year."

That part about the free agency issue doesn't worry me too much. If we're successful, then players are going to want to come here, and they are going to request a visit, not to mention, I don't see Saban being too much of a player in Free Agency beyond this year and maybe next. Once he gets a nucleas here, he'll start building more through the draft and not free agency except to fill holes here or there...

TXFinFan said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11931012/
Also in the article:

"Several agents of top free agents expressed mild irritation with the Dolphins for bringing in their players early in free-agent process but not making offers. The normal protocol is if a team is going to as a free agent to come in right away, it means there is serious business. The Dolphins didn’t do that and some agents said privately they will think twice before sending a top player to Miami early in the process next year."

I thought about this. We have brought in a a lot of people for visits, yet haven't made a offer to more than a third of them.

Sounds like Sam Adams, and Kevin Mawae where pissed we didn't offer them something right away.

Hey agents, this is a BUISNESS!

fishfan34 said:
That part about the free agency issue doesn't worry me too much. If we're successful, then players are going to want to come here, and they are going to request a visit, not to mention, I don't see Saban being too much of a player in Free Agency beyond this year and maybe next. Once he gets a nucleas here, he'll start building more through the draft and not free agency except to fill holes here or there...

I agree. Everybody wants to play for a winner. I don't think we'll see Saban trade away anymore draft picks for a long time either.

Saban is not breaking the bank and he is making sure EVERY player fits the mold he is trying to set for this team. and that takes careful consideration and meeting with the player

Lets the agents run their business.... and Saban his.... to think that players are going to be hesitant to visit is a joke... everybodies money is green... as if the agents are the ones calling all the shots.... sheesh....

Saban brought in all the players he liked. Then, decided either they didn't fit or were too expensive. Hell, the agents should be happy Saban did this early allowing plenty of time to move on to other teams.

Just because a team calls you for a visit, doesn't guarantee a contract for Pete's sake!

Do you realize how stupid that "not being made an offer" part is. So imagine this, I went for a job interview but they didn't make me an offer and now I am pissed off. Sometimes an individual and an organization are not a good fit and so an offer is not made. These agents and these players need to figure out how the real world operates!

Last time i checked the inmates don't run the asylum, As long as we are in good cap shape and have a good organization, players will continue to flock to Miami!

What kind of idiot just gives contracts to every single person that comes to visit.

Those agents that "whispered" this should be more upset at themselves, since it was they who couldn't close the deal for there respective clients.

miami_fins13 said:
Ha ha jets and pats are biggest losers

Yeah, and the Bills have done nothing either. They can all only sit by and watch in horror as Miami transforms into the king of the AFC East.

Excellent article. Thanks for the post.

I do know that Bryant McKinney seemed very POed that Culpepper was run outta town - and talked about his upcoming free agency. Profootballtalk.com also speculated that he can't be happy with the Hutchinson contract putting a ceiling on his new upcoming contract...

Wouldn't it be nice if he returned to Miami next year? It would sure take care of our LT issue.

TXFinFan said:
Also in the article:

Arg! Hopefully agents have a short memory and all we have to do is say "we mean serious business" for them to come in next year.

Can someone call Jason Cole and remind him that Daunte was not a FA pick up?

Back
Top Bottom