MERGED:Jason Cole says Dolphins are winners in FA/Agents ticked off at Fins | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED:Jason Cole says Dolphins are winners in FA/Agents ticked off at Fins

TXFinFan said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11931012/

WINNERS

3. Dolphins
Any team that gets a possible established franchise quarterback for a second-round pick has done quite well. The Dolphins did that with Daunte Culpepper after getting him in a trade from Minnesota. The obvious risk is that Culpepper’s right knee isn’t healthy yet and may not be until late October or November. The Dolphins also lost reliable quarterback Gus Frerotte to St. Louis, but are expected to sign Tommy Maddox in a few days. Not that this was all the Dolphins did. Aside from Culpepper, the Dolphins signed cornerbacks Andre Goodman and Will Allen, cornerback-safety Reynaldo Hill, left tackle L.J. Shelton and linebacker Sedrick Hodge. That’s four or five starters. There were some losses, such as Frerotte, cornerback Sam Madison and linebacker Junior Seau, but the team got a lot younger in the process.

Also in the article:

"Several agents of top free agents expressed mild irritation with the Dolphins for bringing in their players early in free-agent process but not making offers. The normal protocol is if a team is going to as a free agent to come in right away, it means there is serious business. The Dolphins didn’t do that and some agents said privately they will think twice before sending a top player to Miami early in the process next year."

What about the agents who send their players to teams simply to drive up their price? Screw the agents. Just because the Dolphins want to do their homework.

hof13 said:
Wouldn't it be nice if he returned to Miami next year? It would sure take care of our LT issue.

:pray:

also great point about the Hutch deal screwing with his pay day. The Vikes will be hard pressed to lure any GOOD LT in the league to come in and sign for a deal that would pay them less than a Guard. Looks like the Vikes may have screwed up on this on too.

Screw the agents i'm just glad we don't throw money around like the skins do and don't sign people like peterson to a crazy contracts. those agents are just pissed off that we signed someone else instead.

Am i the only one who thinks Jason Cole's mugshot looks exactly like Phil Mickleson? :lol: nice article about winners and losers but what in gods name is phil simms going on about leinart being a 3rd 4th rounder who doesnt look as good as josh mckown!!! er i hate to break it to you phil but getting the ball to the right guy is just a bit more important than having a cannon arm and a half decent 40 :rolleyes2

bigmiamifan said:
Saban brought in all the players he liked. Then, decided either they didn't fit or were too expensive. Hell, the agents should be happy Saban did this early allowing plenty of time to move on to other teams.

Just because a team calls you for a visit, doesn't guarantee a contract for Pete's sake!

Yeah seriously what a bunch of whiners! get over it :)

It's all good except no Maddox please!
He's done: can't move; can't throw; & can't sign w/ Miami....

I'd much rather see us sign this guy:

clear.gif

Spray Mucus said:
:pray:

also great point about the Hutch deal screwing with his pay day. The Vikes will be hard pressed to lure any GOOD LT in the league to come in and sign for a deal that would pay them less than a Guard. Looks like the Vikes may have screwed up on this on too.

I understand the philosophy of attempting to get the player you want at all costs... but this IS a guard we are talking about. While I personally believe in the "OLine" and don't mind paying for them, I can't fathom why the Vikes would be so brash as to hamper future OLine decisions based on 1 guy's salary. As long as Hutch is on the team, every OLine decision will include him in some consideration. I could understand this if this was Walter Jones or another elite LT, but.. this is a guard. A GUARD.

On a completely separate note, I actually believe New England's FA moves are all part of their "business model". I simply think they decided last year was the "last year" of that "dynasty" cycle. They've decided to retool. Kind of a "make haste slowly". And honestly, with the new CBA, I CAN see the benefit to downsizing at this point (for them) and waiting a year or two to collect a big bag of money (salary cap) and decide on a new strategy in a new cap era.

Don't be fooled, the "brain trust" is still there. This is not the end of an era. This is simply closing out one chapter and postering for the next one to open.

This is now, officially, our time... we have to take the opportunity to regain dominance in the AFC East while the other clubs retool. Then.. we have to be committed to staying there.

PHINZ RULE!

I agree with the thought that the patsies are retooling, B-chuck is smart, and I think he and Saban may be involved in a type of chess match so to speak. B-chuck may just be waiting for nick to show his next move while planning his own a year or two down the road. Interesting stuff I think. As for Minnesota I think they set themselves up for a tough time of it with this Hutchinson contract, (be careful what you wish for you just might get it).

The Agents whining what else is new. Saban has done a masterful job with the Free Agency Market and spending very little of our cap. Do not forget one thing even if we dont get Arrington we still picked up Sedrick Hodge which is a starter quality LB'er especially if he puts in a full season like in 2002 with 75 tackles and 63 of them solo which means he is surely a quality LB'er. I mean he is no Zach Thomas or Arrington but still the guy is a good LBer and with Zach, Hodge, and Crowder I think that would be a pretty good LB'ing core. I believe Saban runs a 3-4 D though so add Moore or Pope in there and those 2 are promising LB's. Yes Crowder, Zach, and Hodge are the only proven ones of our group I think Moore or Pope could step up. LB'er and Safety are the only areas I think we could really need help unless we don't pick up an OL person. Kelly Campbell was a smart addition he is already ready to play with Pepper and will help Chambers and Booker. I still kind of hope we resign David Boston and Boston stays healthy. This guy is a stud and could help us a lot but the key is his health and his attitude if he wants to be in Miami.

Spray Mucus said:
I thought about this. We have brought in a a lot of people for visits, yet haven't made a offer to more than a third of them.

Sounds like Sam Adams, and Kevin Mawae where pissed we didn't offer them something right away.

Hey agents, this is a BUISNESS!

I think the agents are not considering that after the interview maybe the dolphins decided the player didn't fit with what they were looking for either through player mentality or expected salary.

NathanHunt said:
I understand the philosophy of attempting to get the player you want at all costs... but this IS a guard we are talking about. While I personally believe in the "OLine" and don't mind paying for them, I can't fathom why the Vikes would be so brash as to hamper future OLine decisions based on 1 guy's salary. As long as Hutch is on the team, every OLine decision will include him in some consideration. I could understand this if this was Walter Jones or another elite LT, but.. this is a guard. A GUARD.

On a completely separate note, I actually believe New England's FA moves are all part of their "business model". I simply think they decided last year was the "last year" of that "dynasty" cycle. They've decided to retool. Kind of a "make haste slowly". And honestly, with the new CBA, I CAN see the benefit to downsizing at this point (for them) and waiting a year or two to collect a big bag of money (salary cap) and decide on a new strategy in a new cap era.

Don't be fooled, the "brain trust" is still there. This is not the end of an era. This is simply closing out one chapter and postering for the next one to open.

This is now, officially, our time... we have to take the opportunity to regain dominance in the AFC East while the other clubs retool. Then.. we have to be committed to staying there.

PHINZ RULE!

NE is riding the Brady factor. Much like we did under shula during the marino years. They know they dont have to have top talent everywhere to win because they have an top qb that can change games and keep them in every game. Example: with all our short commings last year in certain positions we would have been in the playoffs with a legit chance to win some games with Brady under center.

NathanHunt said:

PHINZ RULE!

Don't get carried away with NE being quiet so far. They never jump right into FA. They have alot of money to spend and usually wait until the market dies down a bit and then pick up value. Unfortunately they have made some pretty smart pickups and I'd expect them to continue to. They are still the team to beat. It's nice to finally have a coaching staff and GM that has outdone them though.

fishfan34 said:
That part about the free agency issue doesn't worry me too much. If we're successful, then players are going to want to come here, and they are going to request a visit, not to mention, I don't see Saban being too much of a player in Free Agency beyond this year and maybe next. Once he gets a nucleas here, he'll start building more through the draft and not free agency except to fill holes here or there...

thats it! They are pissed because they cant use the fins as pawns anymore. Now they become the pawns.

Back
Top Bottom