Merged: Jay Cutler II | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Jay Cutler II

motioncityhifi said:
This is the time for draft smoke screens and this is what this probably is...a smoke screen and nothing more.

I agree, as much as I think Penny's best days are behind him, they have way to many holes to fill before they take Cutler.

I know... they can trade down with Miami- and Miami will pick Cutler with the number 4!!

Well I dont know how this would be a smokescreen. "Smokescreens" usually involve a team who is posturing by saying that they will take a certain player at that position- in order to push other teams to trade up with them.

If the Jets really wanted to smokescreen they would say they were very interested in Vince Young to maybe get a team like Detroit or Arizona to trade with them.

And they way things are looking now- they might have to trade UP to get Cutler.

My guess is that Vince Young and Matt Leinart are really going to have to be involved in every aspect of the combines in order to re-establish themselves as the number 1 and number 2 QBs in the country.

Are they planning on putting any decent players on the field? Because Penny's contract+ a 1st round QB's contract = like half their cap space.

Caps said:
Are they planning on putting any decent players on the field? Because Penny's contract+ a 1st round QB's contract = like half their cap space.
Exactly. This is why I don't understand why people keep thinking the Jets would go QB in the first. They may take someone like Croyle later on to "hedge their bet" with Pennington, but they are in position to take a very good player and they have alot of needs and are in a bad cap situation.

the hated Jets will not take a qb but they will most likely trade down... either way they still s**k !!!! :lol:

NJPHIN34 said:
Clayton just reported the Jets are very interested in Cutler, although not at the 4th spot. They would like to trade down and get a spot in front of Miami and take Cutler. Said they are trying to hedge their bet that Pennington can stay healthy. I would hate to see this happen although I think the Jets would be ******ed for such a move. They could use a Deangelo Williams or D'Brickashaw Ferguson way more than they could use another hole in their heads, (i.e. Cutler)

What team isn't?

web1300 said:
the hated Jets will not take a qb but they will most likely trade down... either way they still s**k !!!! :lol:

Agreed that they will always s u c k, but who do you think they could trade down with? Would someone need to trade up for Ferguson? Or do you see another guy someone would want to trade up for?

wow, this would really hurt the Jets cap wise, I say go for it.

how long before we see trade Ricky for Pennington threads... sigh...

Originally I had the Jets going after Ferguson or DeAngelo Williams...but with the way Cutler's stock is rising you never know....:confused:

Typical posturing. The Jets MAY take Cutler who knows. OR they may be trying to build up their interest to seeif they can gather Miami's interest and try to sucker the Dolphins into trading to move up out of desperation. News flash Jets: This is not THAT front office any more.

I dont think you would ever see the Fins/Jets ever make a trade of that magnitude.... the Jets need help everywhere.. I can see them moving down and taking Deangelo Williams... someone in desperate need of a LT could move up

Hot player is Cutler...Jets want publicity after a very poor season so they say pssst John, this is all very hush hush but... ....moments later, John Clayton is stating Jets are interested in Cutler! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

How many teams do you think have a draft board already made up? How many of those teams just hired a new head coach who's still trying to fill out his staff? Just another pre-draft rumor.

NY Jets may draft Jay Cutler

Here is the link.

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/113834051934650.xml&coll=1

starledger-1.gif

Jets audible: Eye Vandy QB Cutler in draft

Friday, January 27, 2006 BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff
In an apparent philosophical shift, the Jets are seriously considering drafting Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler in the first round of the April draft should they trade down from the fourth pick overall, according to someone with knowledge of the team's thinking.

With the hiring of new coach Eric Mangini, the Jets now seem willing to select a quarterback in the first round and groom him for the long term. Under former coach Herman Edwards, the Jets were believed to be planning to address other needs with their first-round pick and sign a veteran quarterback to compete with Chad Pennington in training camp.

Pennington, 29, had his second rotator cuff surgery in an eight-month span last October and his career is in jeopardy.

Meanwhile, the Jets continue their search for an offensive coordinator, with Saints offensive coordinator Mike Sheppard, former Browns head coach and Texans offensive coordinator Chris Palmer and perhaps Eagles quarterback coach Pat Shurmur said to be on their list of candidates.

Tony Wise remains the front-runner to replace offensive line coach Doug Marrone, who wants out of his contract, which has a year remaining.

At the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., several Jets team representatives and scouts, including general manager Terry Bradway, had a lengthy dinner with Cutler on Wednesday night. The Dolphins also have shown interest in Cutler.

In addition to Cutler, the Jets have shown considerable interest in offensive tackles D'Brickashaw Ferguson (Virginia) and Eric Winston (Miami).

If the Jets keep the fourth pick overall, they likely would take Ferguson, who is considered a franchise left tackle. If they trade down, they would try to select Cutler in the 10-to-15-pick range and pick up an offensive tackle such as Winston later in the first round.

On many early draft boards, Cutler is ranked as the third best quarterback behind Matt Leinart (USC) and Vince Young (Texas).

Cutler, 6-3, 223 pounds, was a one-man band for Vandy this season. He threw for 3,073 yards, 21 touchdowns and just nine interceptions while leading the Commodores to a 5-6 mark in the competitive Southeastern Conference. He has good mobility, rushing for 215 yards.

Most teams view Cutler as a player who'll need at least a year on the bench behind a veteran. He has good arm strength, smarts, toughness and a strong work ethic, according to reports.

oh well, the more people off the board the better chance at michael huff or jimmy williams

Back
Top Bottom