Merged: Jets Kendall wants to go to Dolphins?/Expecting to be Released | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Jets Kendall wants to go to Dolphins?/Expecting to be Released

Since Kendall was a starter last season, I would be surprised if Kendall is released. I think that the Jets will try to trade him first, most likely to a team in the NFC. Even a seventh rounder is better than nothing.

I agree, which is why they've probably kept him around this long as they know once he's released he may well make a bee-line to Miami and visa-versa.

The only issues with a trade is that any team wanting to pick him up would probably have to be willing to restructure his contract or face an unhappy player who could be a distraction. He also would be limited to teams that prefer lighter, quicker guards.

Not necessarily. By the end of preseason, it's likely that some contending team will lose a starting guard and need a replacement -- and be willing to plunk down a draft pick and some extra cash for a starting caliber guard. Even at 34, Kendall has a couple of years left.

The Bills just traded DT Darwin Walker to Chicago for a conditional 5th rounder because the Bears are short on DTs. Everybody thought he'd be returned to the Eagles because he wouldn't come to terms with the Bills. I think that the Bills had this in mind for a while but were only waiting to see how sophomore DT John McCargo came back from off-season surgery before pulling the trigger. That means the Bills got at least a 5th and a 7th for Takeo Spikes (who's only a shadow of his Pro Bowl self) because Philly is in need of LB help.

Just because other teams aren't making their interest in Kendall front page news (ala the Dolphins) doesn't mean that they aren't interested. Many teams prefer to do things outside of the media glare.

I fail to see why this is such a big deal. OH a 5th for Darwin Walker! Hoorah! I mean, Im all for having visitors to finheaven, but it intrigues me as to why theres a sudden Bills fan reunion in a thread about the Dolphins potentially acquiring Pete Kendall. Sounds to me like you may not like the idea because frankly, it would a) improve our team significantly and b) make the signing of Dockery at that ridiculous sum look even worse.

Just throwing this out there.

First off, we wouldn't be shelling out "top LG money". What we'd give him is what he's asking for. He's stated it before. He's not looking for gi-normous pay raise or be one of the top paid OG's. He just wants the pay-cut he took last year from the Jets that the Jets supposedly said they would give him back this year. If he were released and we signed him it would be around 2.7-3 million/yr. Hardly "big-time" money.

The offensive line is clearly an issue with the Dolphins. Is he the missing link? I don't think so. I don't think many other fans think so either, but who knows. I do know this. He presents a short-term solution to the biggest problem facing this team currently. He certainly makes this team a better team this year and gives us a stronger chance at doing well.

He won't be traded. The Jets already tried that. In fact, the Jets and Dolphins were in trade discussions around the NFL draft time, but a deal fell through---it was reported that it didn't get done primarily because Miami felt he would be released later. I don't suspect he will be traded. With that said, Mangini won't just hand him to Miami. My guess, is that he will hold onto him until the least possible moment---maybe cut him right before the season when cuts are made. Or not cut him at all and just let him ride the pine. The only issue is Pete Kendall. He's going to make a stink about it all year long. If Adrien Clarke is injured or is under-performing. I don't know if you want Pete Kendall to play---or if he will.

I still believe the Jets will release Pete Kendall. It's been rumored through so many articles that Miami is the supposedly has the biggest interest and Kendall has serious interest in joining Miami. You say he wants to win and why would he go to Miami...who knows how Miami will do? Did anyone expect the Jets to go 10-6 last year and make the playoffs? Or what about the Saints? Anything can happen. Things are headed in the right direction in Miami.

I fail to see why this is such a big deal. OH a 5th for Darwin Walker! Hoorah! I mean, Im all for having visitors to finheaven, but it intrigues me as to why theres a sudden Bills fan reunion in a thread about the Dolphins potentially acquiring Pete Kendall. Sounds to me like you may not like the idea because frankly, it would a) improve our team significantly and b) make the signing of Dockery at that ridiculous sum look even worse.

:0wned:

PFT says that "Kendall might want to not go much further than that ever. Sooner or later, his strategy of disruption is going to get him the T.O. treatment. Two years ago (man, it seems so much longer than that), Owens was sent home for a week from training camp as he employed the same "report, but disrupt" approach in an effort to convey displeasure with his contract. Eventually, the Eagles suspended Owens for four games with pay, for conduct detrimental to the team.
Kendall could be facing the same fate, if he doesn't put a sock in it soon. And that $14,000-per-day holdout fine could pale in comparison to the $397,000 he'd lose in game checks if such a suspension were to stick."

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

If the Jests choose to go that way, they could release him after the four game suspension.

Teams don't throw away players that have value. Didn't Miami hold on to Daunte because they wanted to work out a trade for him? Didn't KC hold on to Green until they worked out a deal with the Fins?

Experienced, starter-quality guards have considerable value, and I think that the Jets will try very hard to trade Kendall before they release him.

Teams don't throw away players that have value. Didn't Miami hold on to Daunte because they wanted to work out a trade for him? Didn't KC hold on to Green until they worked out a deal with the Fins?

Experienced, starter-quality guards have considerable value, and I think that the Jets will try very hard to trade Kendall before they release him.

Your trying to compare franchise, or at one time franchise QBs trade value to that of an aging left guard. :err:

The Jets have tried to trade Pete Kendall. They were shopping him around the draft when he was complaining about his deal then. The Dolphins were one of the teams interested. Their might be a bigger market for Kendall than just Miami. I don't know if there is right now. If guy's go down then that market could get even bigger.

This idea that he will get 6 yrs at 49 million is just dumb. There is no way any team will throw that deal to a guy who is a good--not great, not top 20--but good, quality starter on the line and is 34 yrs old.

By the way Kinzua, if Takeo Spikes stays healthy, he could run wild in Jim Johnson's blitzing scheme in Philly. Getting a 5th and 7th wouldn't be the greatest of returns for OLB who had a good, not even great, season and stayed healthy all year long. JMO. Spikes' upside is large. Plus, the media said that Buffalo fans and FO personnel would have been disappointed had they gotten a 6th and 7th for the Spikes deal (seeing that Walker goes back to Philly). Does a 5th round pick really make the deal that much better? JMO.

I actually don't think its far fetched at all. The Jets management clearly has issues with the guy and between the fact that he still has some talent left and the F.O. apparantly willing to hold onto him out of spite, he could be there for a good chunk of camp. I don't they're in a huge rush to release him and prefer to exhaust all trade options before he's alowwed to move on.

I think they would have given him the money if he had shut up, but now.. no way and that is ok. He will be missed, but hopefully just a little bit.

BZ

Hmm, yet no one has come out publically and stated that on paper, it's just Pete telling us so. Kinda like the 'promises' he was made, that oddly enough, also never made it onto paper.
It would be suicide for any Jet to back Kendall on paper now.

I understand the relationship with your GM.....

Is that the same type of relationship that I seen Diehlman being automatic to MIA early in the offseason....

I understand it is late July and money is tight, but there are ALOT of teams that have much more cap room, that may just think LG is the missing link.

Completey different comparison...

You are comparing a 14-2 Super Bowl contender who showed loyalty to him by offering a huge contract vs. a playoff caliber team who showed him no love after all his hard work and loyalty to his team.

Back
Top Bottom