Merged: LaVar Arrington threads/Arrington to Giants/Arrington Meeting with Jags | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: LaVar Arrington threads/Arrington to Giants/Arrington Meeting with Jags

Arrington would be a good pickup for the defense but not at the risk of killing the Dolphins salary cap with a big contract. The Dolphins have too many needs without committing the remainder of the salary cap on one player. Saban and Mueller have been cool about the whole free agency thing, not rushing after anyone. I cringe when I think of some of the desperation moves that have been made in the past. A second round pick for a second or third string QB using some kind of a suspect QB formula, trading a 4th round pick to move up one spot in the draft. Who could that 4th round pick have been?
:shakeno:

ckparrothead said:
As for Chad Greenway keep in mind he's not the same caliber LB that LaVar Arrington is. AJ Hawk is the same caliber LB that LaVar Arrington is. Chad Greenway is a full step below that.

He will also probably not be available at #16. He had some very compelling results at his pro day recently. He literally jumped 6 inches higher in the vertical, benched 3 more reps, and ran a full 0.2 seconds faster in the 40 than at the Combine. The better 40 time at a pro day is usually suspect because of a faster track, but consider that WR Clinton Solomon ran a 4.55 at the Combine, and ran a pair of 4.55's at his pro day. Some tracks are faster than others, and Solomon's times show that Iowa's track isn't necessarily all that faster than the Combine tracks. Put that together with the 3 more bench reps and a full 6 inches more vertical, and you've got a more complete story...showing that basically, Greenway was having a BAD DAY at the Combine, pure and simple. Athletes wake up some days and depending on diet, what they've gone through recently (sometimes jet lag), water weight composition, etc...they just don't have the same edge they usually do for one reason or another (eat your Wheaties). At his pro day, Greenway showed that he's every bit the athletic story that he has been known to be until he turned in poor Combine results.

I'm penciling him in as the Browns' pick at #12, but he could go to Detroit at #9 if Huff is gone. The Browns need a linebacker pretty bad, and Phil Savage is notorious for basically disregarding Combine measurements. When you look at the game tapes, Greenway is athletic enough to blanket the fastest receivers in coverage (he blanketed Chad Jackson in the Outback Bowl) and he's mentally tough, makes all kinds of plays, always gets to the ball, and has all the intangibles you could want. I would be very, very surprised if Greenway gets past #12.

As for this news, the Jags have the cap room to offer more money than us that is not the issue. The issue is will they go through with it. Arrington basically just admitted to McDuffie that he is giving the Phins the right of first refusal. If the Jags put an offer on the table he likes, he's going to tell Miami what the offer is, and we will have a choice. Do we come close to it and bring him to Miami? Or do we let him go. If Miami says to him listen, we'll match that...come visit us again...then you can damn well bet he'd be down here for another visit.
CK if this was your team bro would you go with Lavar and the cash, or pick the best linebacker at 16?

OneHondo said:
Arrington would be a good pickup for the defense but not at the risk of killing the Dolphins salary cap with a big contract. The Dolphins have too many needs without committing the remainder of the salary cap on one player. Saban and Mueller have been cool about the whole free agency thing, not rushing after anyone. I cringe when I think of some of the desperation moves that have been made in the past. A second round pick for a second or third string QB using some kind of a suspect QB formula, trading a 4th round pick to move up one spot in the draft. Who could that 4th round pick have been?
:shakeno:

The important point to take from your statement is that nobody here knows exactly where that "cap killing" line is drawn, so it would be wrong of us to make hasty judgments saying that a 7 year $52 million deal "would kill our cap" whereas a 6 year $40 million deal would not...because we do not truly know if our cap situation is even in DANGER of being killed, let alone where that line is.

ck:

Crowder put in a better performance in his rookie season than Arrington has in the last two years. I would support getting Arrington at a reasonable price, but OLB is deep in this draft.

ckparrothead said:
As for Chad Greenway keep in mind he's not the same caliber LB that LaVar Arrington is. AJ Hawk is the same caliber LB that LaVar Arrington is. Chad Greenway is a full step below that.

He will also probably not be available at #16. He had some very compelling results at his pro day recently. He literally jumped 6 inches higher in the vertical, benched 3 more reps, and ran a full 0.2 seconds faster in the 40 than at the Combine. The better 40 time at a pro day is usually suspect because of a faster track, but consider that WR Clinton Solomon ran a 4.55 at the Combine, and ran a pair of 4.55's at his pro day. Some tracks are faster than others, and Solomon's times show that Iowa's track isn't necessarily all that faster than the Combine tracks. Put that together with the 3 more bench reps and a full 6 inches more vertical, and you've got a more complete story...showing that basically, Greenway was having a BAD DAY at the Combine, pure and simple. Athletes wake up some days and depending on diet, what they've gone through recently (sometimes jet lag), water weight composition, etc...they just don't have the same edge they usually do for one reason or another (eat your Wheaties). At his pro day, Greenway showed that he's every bit the athletic story that he has been known to be until he turned in poor Combine results.

I'm penciling him in as the Browns' pick at #12, but he could go to Detroit at #9 if Huff is gone. The Browns need a linebacker pretty bad, and Phil Savage is notorious for basically disregarding Combine measurements. When you look at the game tapes, Greenway is athletic enough to blanket the fastest receivers in coverage (he blanketed Chad Jackson in the Outback Bowl) and he's mentally tough, makes all kinds of plays, always gets to the ball, and has all the intangibles you could want. I would be very, very surprised if Greenway gets past #12.

As for this news, the Jags have the cap room to offer more money than us that is not the issue. The issue is will they go through with it. Arrington basically just admitted to McDuffie that he is giving the Phins the right of first refusal. If the Jags put an offer on the table he likes, he's going to tell Miami what the offer is, and we will have a choice. Do we come close to it and bring him to Miami? Or do we let him go. If Miami says to him listen, we'll match that...come visit us again...then you can damn well bet he'd be down here for another visit.

Fin Fan in Cali said:
CK if this was your team bro would you go with Lavar and the cash, and pick the best linebacker at 16?

LaVar AND a linebacker at 16? Not unless I planned on replacing Zach Thomas some time very soon. If that were the case (and I'm not saying I'd do it) I would be extremely tempted to take Greenway at #16 if he got there but just as tempted to take Ryans or Sims at #16 if not.

But I don't want to do that because Zach is coming off really his best year as a pro in my honest opinion. I think he's playing better than his salary right now, and he means more to the team and fans than his salary, so he should not be replaced....YET.

I think if you've got the opportunity to sign Arrington, yes you go ahead and you do that. LaVar is 27 years old, supremely talented and athletic...and signing him in free agency is like being given a top 5 pick in the draft that you could use on AJ Hawk. Remember, top 5 draft picks aren't cheap. AJ Hawk will probably receive a contract that is nearly comparable to what we pay Arrington right now.

Once Arrington is signed, you go ahead and try and trade down the #16 pick IF YOU CAN (big if), otherwise just take the best available talent among the OLs, LBs, DLs, DBs, TEs (yes, if Vernon Davis somehow slipped, I'd snap him up in a heartbeat), and WRs. Basically I would exclude only QB and RB.

Dolphan_B said:
ck:

Crowder put in a better performance in his rookie season than Arrington has in the last two years. I would support getting Arrington at a reasonable price, but OLB is deep in this draft.

No offense, but that's pure bullsh!t you're stepping in right there. In no single game was Crowder anywhere near as dominant as LaVar was on a regular basis pre-injury. And, when LaVar played in 2005 even as he was still fighting through the injury, he made more of an impact that Crowder did. Crowder was good for a rookie, but mediocre for a starter.

ckparrothead said:
LaVar AND a linebacker at 16? Not unless I planned on replacing Zach Thomas some time very soon. If that were the case (and I'm not saying I'd do it) I would be extremely tempted to take Greenway at #16 if he got there but just as tempted to take Ryans or Sims at #16 if not.

But I don't want to do that because Zach is coming off really his best year as a pro in my honest opinion. I think he's playing better than his salary right now, and he means more to the team and fans than his salary, so he should not be replaced....YET.

I think if you've got the opportunity to sign Arrington, yes you go ahead and you do that. LaVar is 27 years old, supremely talented and athletic...and signing him in free agency is like being given a top 5 pick in the draft that you could use on AJ Hawk. Remember, top 5 draft picks aren't cheap. AJ Hawk will probably receive a contract that is nearly comparable to what we pay Arrington right now.

Once Arrington is signed, you go ahead and try and trade down the #16 pick IF YOU CAN (big if), otherwise just take the best available talent among the OLs, LBs, DLs, DBs, TEs (yes, if Vernon Davis somehow slipped, I'd snap him up in a heartbeat), and WRs. Basically I would exclude only QB and RB.
Thanks for the answer bro. I had a brainfart while I was typing. Lavar or take the best linebacker at 16. My bad.

Arrington has a tough choice ahead of him. Miami / Ft. Lauderdale or Jacksonville??....

I've been to Jacksonville several times, and all I can say{with no disrespect intended}, is that Miami / Ft. Lauderdale is much nicer. Jacksonville has more of a "country boy" setting, where down here it's all glitter and celebrity life styles...

Not to mention the tradition we have compared to Jacksonville....

I'm not sure if any of that will have a significant effect on where LV will be signing, but it's got to be in the back of his mind when looking at the big picture. Either way, I'm sure we'll manage with or without Arrington...

PHINZ RULE!!!

If this has already posted, my bad.

Jaguars | Arrington to visit, but price might be too high
Fri, 24 Mar 2006 10:10:18 -0800
<A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/133">Vito Stellino, of the Florida Times-Union, reports the Jacksonville Jaguars could be in the running for free agent LB LaVar Arrington (Redskins), but his price tag will likely have to come down. Arrington is likely to visit the Jaguars Saturday, March 25.

So if both the Jags and Fins want the price to come down, isnt that a good sign for us, as he says we are his number 1 choice?

Dolfan1000 said:
So if both the Jags and Fins want the price to come down, isnt that a good sign for us, as he says we are his number 1 choice?

that's what I'm thinking.

PhinstiGator said:
I was hoping that OJ would get involved in the recruitment process. Getting Arrington would be a great addition. He was a dominant freak at Penn State. He would be a much better fit for Saban's system than the current system in Washington.

I just hope they take his stupid car commercials off the air here in DC. :D

how can you hate on the eastern motors commercials? by far one of the best commercials i've ever seen.:lol:

It is important to note that Arrington seems to believe the Jags will pony up the money, otherwise he would not have told OJ McDuffie that if he makes it to the Jacksonville visit he probably won't be leaving and he'll be a Jaguar.

Finsfalife said:
I hope JAx gives him his goddamn money...and he tears his injury prone knee up the first game....go phins

That's a pretty BS statement. You must be trying to jinx da Phins:goof:

Back
Top Bottom