MERGED: Miami Could Miss Out on Culpepper, Brees | If we miss out | Page 22 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Miami Could Miss Out on Culpepper, Brees | If we miss out

Status
Not open for further replies.
jesusfreak26 said:
Vikings | More about potential Culpepper trade
Thu, 9 Mar 2006 20:58:31 -0800
Don Seeholzer and <A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/33">Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, report the Minnesota Vikings would gain an additional $2.3 million in salary cap space by trading QB Daunte Culpepper. In addition, if he is traded soon, Culpepper's $6 million roster bonus would be paid by his new club. Given Culpepper's knee injury, the return on Culpepper could be minimal for the Vikings. The source said teams would not part with a first-round pick and that a conditional pick was expected. According to FOXSports.com, if the Vikings can't trade him before that bonus is due, they intend to ask him to push the date back in order to continue to work toward a trade. Pat Kirwan, a senior analyst for NFL.com, said because of Culpepper's uncertain physical status, any trade likely will involve future conditional draft choices. "This would be a sliding scale that I've run past a few general managers that are not in the market for Culpepper," Kirwan said. "The draft picks are for 2007. If you trade for the guy and he never plays, the compensation is zero. If he plays eight or less games, the compensation is a second-round pick. If he plays nine or more games, the compensation is a first-round pick. If he throws for 3,000 yards, then it's a first and a third. And if he makes the Pro Bowl next year, it's two first-round picks."

According to this report a trade for him would be something I wouldn't want a part of. The team that trades for him would eat the remainder of his signing bonus which is 6 million. The draft picks would be conditional in 2007 and could be two first round picks.

That to me is just to much.

After reading your post I am inclined to agree 100%. Too much baggage in that deal. Not that he is or isn't better in one or more respects than the other options, but this does not make good business sense.

Despacio said:
Why oh why do you want to continue this Marry-Go-Round of Where's Our Tom Brady???

Huard - - Fiedler - - Lucas - - Griese - - Feeley - - McCown??

No more reaching for a Qb, we've been doing it since Marino left. Aren't you sick of it?? If you want a premiere Qb, you have to pay the price, even the diamonds in the rough ala Brady are going to get the big contract eventually if they breakout.

We have the cap space to sign a real QB, let's stop playing games and sign a proven QB.

exactly.....

finsgonewild said:
i dont think that is ever the case. He always has a plan for what he does.
And I hope that plan is not to give up the farm for a qb. Some people here think that we have to do whatever it takes to get a qb, even one with question marks. jeez, we just got out of that with the WannSpeil erra.
If Saban doesn't get a star qb this year, he will just keep building up the rest of the team, and get our qb eithedr later in the draft, or next year. I know some people think the term "next year" is a curse, but remember how everyone thought this process would take a few years when Saban first came here.
The star appeal is what makes so many teams overspend this time of year, and honestly, it could set us back more steps than forward.

uga3406 said:
im telling u young and cutler r not coming to us....get that thru your heads....i also know that we dont have that young of a tea..zach and jt r old as is some of r ol and dl and secondary...time for rebuilding is over..time 2 win is now

get it through your head that if new orleans and other teams solve their qb woes with a vet, it is least likely they will draft one with their first pick, also it will give miami more incentive and the other teams in the line for a qb will be more willing to trade their higher pick to gain extra picks in the draft. didnt think about that one did ya?

i also think if miami does sign cpep or brees (dont feel the other names mentioned is worth taking a shot on), saban may be willing to trade down in the first round to pick up extra draft picks.

boltz_fan said:
i'm surprised about miami worrying about picking one of the 1st 3 QBs in the draft since you didn't do bad getting the 6th QB in 1983 draft. :)

No Rd Pk Player Name Team College
1 1 1 John Elway Colts Stanford
2 1 7 Todd Blackledge Chiefs Penn State
3 1 14 Jim Kelly Bills Miami (FL)
4 1 15 Tony Eason Patriots Illinois
5 1 24 Ken O'Brien Jets California-Davis
6 1 27 Dan Marino Dolphins Pittsburgh
You know how it is, everyone wants star appeal, no matter what the price.

nick1 said:
Arizona isn't happy with Warner, they know they need a future QB but gave up on Josh McCown. this means they will draft a QB this year, if one of the big 3 fall to them I think they draft him

Arizona just signed Warner to an extension. They ARE happy with him or they wouldn't have done that.

I'm not saying they won't draft a QB, it just doesn't seem all that likely...

I Got A Feeling

That Miami will come up empty in their QB search, I get nerveous when a players name is constantly linked to a team the way Brees has been with miami.

Think back how many times has a rumored deal such as Brees to Miami actually come through?
Now the news that Culpepper is all but traded and Ramsey too,,,where is Miami going to find a QB....god I dont want another season of Gus.

I am going to take a vacation from this board all the rumors are like riding a roller coaster....I will check back some time near the end of the weekend and see whats up....hope we have a QB by then.

Sorry you feel that way, but I have some faith. The front office will get the job done. We don't have clowns running our team anymore. Sit back and enjoy the ride

Rememeber a couple of years ago?

Woody to Miami. But he went to Detriot. I hate that. Detriot and New Orleans are teams that get under my skin when it comes to FA

Im confident we will have an improved team next year, whether its with one of the QB above or not. Im just happy we have Nick in here. One way or another he will turn this team into a winner

CCMiamiDolphins said:

Woody to Miami. But he went to Detriot. I hate that. Detriot and New Orleans are teams that get under my skin when it comes to FA

yea that is kinda same thing happening now...remember all these players care about money..woody was the same and brees looks to be the same way...no offense to these players but seriously your already making millions of dollars...you grow up wanting to win a super bowl and now you wanna go to a bad team that wont win for years to come....i dont understand it one bit...i rather make 6 million a year and be happy with a good team than 8 million with a team that stinks...sad but its the truth...i still have faith we will sign a good qb whether its not brees or culpepper

CCMiamiDolphins said:

Yet they never win. Shows that going all out in free agenct doesny really mean crap. Just another reason that I won't lose sleep if we wind up missing out on Brees and Culpepper.

Well we got to keep the faith, what else can we do now, its in Nick and Brees' hands, Lets sign him @ 12:01 am Saturday morning...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom