MERGED: NBA Ref FIXED games. MOB betting scam./ NBA concern "off the charts" | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: NBA Ref FIXED games. MOB betting scam./ NBA concern "off the charts"

You really believe all this? That every single time he begins to dominate, the refs purposely call fouls on him to stop his momentum?

Look at his Points per minute stats. They are exactly like they were when he was in LA. His FG% is HIGHER now.

The only difference is that he is in foul trouble constantly.

It is a regular occurance to have SHAQ start the game with 10-12 points in the 1st quarter and then have him get hit for a quick 3 fouls to send him to the bench.

Ask any heat fan...we have come to expect it now.

Not at all. (And, off topic, I would never say the Spurs are boring; I like teams that actually play as a team. I can't stand the "give it to Star X, and stand around with your thumb up your butt for 22 seconds" offense. The Spurs play great team defense too. TEAM being the operative word; too many NBA teams play defense like they're five guys at the YMCA who met each other 3 minutes ago. And yet, I digress...)

The only way a ref could conceivably fix a game to make money, without getting easily noticed, would be to bet the over-under. If the over-under for a game was, say, 203, as a ref, you're going to whistle every call you can. Why? More fouls = more foul shots. More foul shots = more points. More points is what you need to win the bet. Who's scoring the points is irrelevant, be it the Suns or Spurs in that situation.

The ref seems to have called the game to force a particular outcome; a higher point total. Whether he was consciously favoring the Spurs or not is irrelevant; the way the game was called clearly favored the Spurs and hurt the Suns.

I don't think he set out to give one team or another a win. I think he set out to call a ton of fouls, and it happened to go one way. It would be way too easy to get busted by slanting the calls to one team and betting on that team, not to mention the fact that it would be too unpredictable a bet. Some nights, one team just does not show up, and if you're calling everything under the sun to get them to the line, and nothing the other way, it's more likely to get noticed.

But calling a ton of fouls all over the court just makes it look like a tightly officiated game. Big difference. The 38-9 FT disparity in that Knicks-Heat game is bizarre, but there's no way that he'd be dumb enough to bang the Knicks and only call fouls for them. (That doesn't make it any less egregious for the Heat, mind you; they still got robbed.)

Yeah it's bad enough that us fans have to basically defend our team b/c of what other fans are saying, especially when neither we or Duncan/Parker/Gino....etc had anything to do with the suspensions.

Now this **** comes out. The Spurs used to be the model franchise in the league. Now it seems the haters have decided to annoint them the sudden scumbags of the NBA.

Not quite used to it being that way yet

Look at his Points per minute stats. They are exactly like they were when he was in LA. His FG% is HIGHER now.

The only difference is that he is in foul trouble constantly.

It is a regular occurance to have SHAQ start the game with 10-12 points in the 1st quarter and then have him get hit for a quick 3 fouls to send him to the bench.

Ask any heat fan...we have come to expect it now.

I'm not saying it isn't true, but on this board there certainly are the "us against the world" type posts.

It happens to the best of 'em. I'm sure you could pick a player on any team who's situation is similiar to O'Neals. Just might not be as bad

Whatever man, you just don't understand...Did the Suns get screwed, it seems like it. And if they did, then the Spurs got screwed too. Either way you look at it, this game will always be a "what if" there was already one of those in the series that benefited the Spurs, now there seems to be another one...The Spurs cant be happy about this as now they cant be sure they won in the fairest of ways..

I as a fan of basketball am astounded by this, if the Suns were the benefit of the fix, I would be just as pissed...I would be pissed that the Suns were unable to win it all on their own. I would think as a fan you would feel the same way, but you are more concerned with the W than how you got the W...

This whole thing upsets me b/c the Spurs are the only team I've been a fan of my whole life that has won anything. The Dolphins haven't won **** sice I've been a fan. That being said, when people make claims that the Spurs are worthless dirty POS's, it gets to me. My only team that wins it all and now us fans have to hunker down and take all the BS that trolls/opposing fans have to say. Look at the Spurs/Suns thread we had way back then.

It also upsets me that this ref did what he did. This sucks for every team out there.

First of all...it was not a 1 point game...but I have an idea as to why you would like for all to think that.

The Heat was up 12 points at halftime, the Bulls made one run in the 4th...and then had that lead taken away by Wade layups (Thank god for the boxscore and play by play) and the Heat won by 5 points. There were 30 PF's called on Chicago...20 on the heat. 5 of the PF's were intentional PF's. So the disparity was 25-20 in actual foul calls. The heat attacked the basket and the Bulls were a jump shooting team. The heat was #1 in Points in the Paint, but middle of the pack in FT attempts. Explain that.

So it wasn't a one point game. So why did you make that up?

Game 2 had the Bulls shooting 26 FT's to the Heat's 25.

if you are going to go off on something...at least have the facts and don't make up scores to suit your arguement.

I asked you to FIND ONE. FIND ONE game where the heat had more than 30 FT attempts and the opponent less than 10. You said there were PLENTY. I asked you to find one. FIND ONE.
You really need to check your math. 85-84 is a ONE POINT GAME. PERIOD. So what if the heat had a big half time lead, EVERY NBA game goes back and forth like that. Go back and check the play by play whatever. The whole point is YOUR team benefited from a game where it was CLOSE and got 21 MORE FT attempts than the opponent to win by ONE pt. But I guess the Heat were still screwed by that one.

I am sure there are plenty. I don't have the free time that some people do to search the web. I just looked for the one game I remembered. I was a little off. It was not under 10 for the Bulls, but there was 21 more for the HEAT and they won an one point game.

As for Shaq getting more fouls now... it could not be he is getting older and more overweight and thus not as agile so he knocks over guys?! Or couldn't be he got away with a lot in LA?

Come on... THE WHOLE POINT here is that EVERY team can get screwed. The one REF (so far) intentionally did it to make money. IF not for him for the mob.

MAN, you guys won the Championship last year and you are still whining about the refs... :shakeno:

You really need to check your math. 85-84 is a ONE POINT GAME. PERIOD. So what if the heat had a big half time lead, EVERY NBA game goes back and forth like that. Go back and check the play by play whatever. The whole point is YOUR team benefited from a game where it was CLOSE and got 21 MORE FT attempts than the opponent to win by ONE pt. But I guess the Heat were still screwed by that one.

I am sure there are plenty. I don't have the free time that some people do to search the web. I just looked for the one game I remembered. I was a little off. It was not under 10 for the Bulls, but there was 21 more for the HEAT and they won an one point game.

As for Shaq getting more fouls now... it could not be he is getting older and more overweight and thus not as agile so he knocks over guys?! Or couldn't be he got away with a lot in LA?

Come on... THE WHOLE POINT here is that EVERY team can get screwed. The one REF (so far) intentionally did it to make money. IF not for him for the mob.

MAN, you guys won the Championship last year and you are still whining about the refs... :shakeno:

You need to check your eyes. The score was 111 -106. SO it was NOT a 1 point game. and the game was never really that close anyway.

here is the boxscore:

http://www.nba.com/games/20060422/CHIMIA/boxscore.html

(thank god for boxscores and play by plays...again)

Like i said...FIND ONE GAME. ONE. (You said 30 or more FT's for the Heat and 10 or less for the opponent...and there were PLENTY....FIND ONE)

This whole thing upsets me b/c the Spurs are the only team I've been a fan of my whole life that has won anything. The Dolphins haven't won **** sice I've been a fan. That being said, when people make claims that the Spurs are worthless dirty POS's, it gets to me. My only team that wins it all and now us fans have to hunker down and take all the BS that trolls/opposing fans have to say. Look at the Spurs/Suns thread we had way back then.

It also upsets me that this ref did what he did. This sucks for every team out there.
Before the series this year, I had always given the Spurs the utmost respect..The only bad thing I had said about them was that they were boring. Ive repeatedly said Tim Duncan was one of the best and classiest players in the league...

The only things that changed at all as far as my respect for the Spurs goes, was I think Bowen is a little dirty, and what Horry did. Horry was always the player I hated more than any other in the league though.

The controversy stuff isn't the Spurs fault, its the NBA's fault. The Spurs, Suns and the rest of the teams and fans of the league are the victims n this whole thing. There is a very good chance that the Spurs would have won without a ref fixing games for the mafia, and without the Suns players getting suspended. The problem is, there is no doubt. Doubt in the fans minds, and doubt in the players minds. To me I would have rather lost without all of this stuff, just as I am sure you would have rather won without it.

The unknown is much worse than getting beat. And that is why I consider there to be an asterisk. It isn't taking away from the Spurs, its taking away from the league.

I saw this earlier, like I said before I distinctly remember when I was watching the game thinking just what Simmons said in his column. It was one of, if not the worst officiated playoff game I remember ever watching...I would have never thought it could have been due to a conspiracy though, I thought it was due to incompetency...

Before the series this year, I had always given the Spurs the utmost respect..The only bad thing I had said about them was that they were boring. Ive repeatedly said Tim Duncan was one of the best and classiest players in the league...

The only things that changed at all as far as my respect for the Spurs goes, was I think Bowen is a little dirty, and what Horry did. Horry was always the player I hated more than any other in the league though.

The controversy stuff isn't the Spurs fault, its the NBA's fault. The Spurs, Suns and the rest of the teams and fans of the league are the victims n this whole thing. There is a very good chance that the Spurs would have won without a ref fixing games for the mafia, and without the Suns players getting suspended. The problem is, there is no doubt. Doubt in the fans minds, and doubt in the players minds. To me I would have rather lost without all of this stuff, just as I am sure you would have rather won without it.

The unknown is much worse than getting beat. And that is why I consider there to be an asterisk. It isn't taking away from the Spurs, its taking away from the league.

Well then maybe it's just me, but having a horse**** asterisk next to the year you win the title is a direct insult to that team. IE saying they didn't deserve to win it.

I saw this earlier, like I said before I distinctly remember when I was watching the game thinking just what Simmons said in his column. It was one of, if not the worst officiated playoff game I remember ever watching...I would have never thought it could have been due to a conspiracy though, I thought it was due to incompetency...

SA had 9 more FT attempts and 2 less fouls called on them. This is a conspiracy?

The Knicks/Bulls 38 to 9 FT is a conspiracy.

SA had 9 more FT attempts and 2 less fouls called on them. This is a conspiracy?

The Knicks/Bulls 38 to 9 FT is a conspiracy.
As long as it isn't your team right? Twenty more free throw attempts can be just as important as eight, hell it can be just as important as one if that one comes at the right/wrong time...You really don't get it. I really cant have a discussion with you, because you are very short sighted when it comes to defending your points of view...

Whatever though, your idealist mindset doesn't translate into reality. The refs and the commissioner did have a direct imprint on the games, and the outcome of the games in that series. Whether or not you choose to believe it is on you...Unfortunately, everyone on this board could come out and say that is the way it is, and you would still stick to your guns..

Back
Top Bottom