Merged: **OFFICIAL** Press Conference Thread | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: **OFFICIAL** Press Conference Thread

Dan's job: Going to have his own office, be involved in meetings, evaluate the team on the field, etc. Nothing that wouldn't be expected.

Senior VP of Football Operations job was discussed 2 weeks ago, but no name was attached to the job.

Damn, I had a customer.

Dan will be filling sorta of the "Ron Wolf" role.....from what I got to hear. Wayne, Eddie, and Bryan (Weidemier)....the top dogs....don't have alot of football knowledge. Dan will be "one of them" with the the football knowledge.

***"Football eyes on the executive side"***

Dan: "I feel like I'm back home".

"Would have been easy to stay with CBS and HBO and be disgusted (about the Phins".

"Gotta take risks to reap rewards. This is the next step in my life".

Wayne: "We wanted another football person for Dave and Rick to report to. It wasn't easy to get Dan to leave his TV job."

Dan: "I'm back home again. In my heart I love the game of football. I want to do whatever I can to help this team again." He is also talking about how he wants to win a championship.

This just looks odd. Thats all I can say about it. I realize what they are saying about Spielman being more qualified than anyone they brought in, and I had a feeling he might be, because he's worked on both ends of the operation free agency and the draft whereas the only other guy to do that among the candidates was Mueller, who carries a bunch of baggage that the franchise does not want.

But this whole thing is just weird. I thought the idea was to take personnel out of Wanny's hands so he could just concentrate on coaching. But now it sounds like his reponsibilities have not diminished. And Spielman, I'm not sure he's even taken a step up.

Overall what it looks like to me is that Huizenga wanted his say in decisions but realizes that neither Eddie Jones nor himself have the reputation as "football guys" and so he's got himself THE "football guy" to be his confident and proxy.

This is just weird. I hope Ron Wolf comes on as a consultant.

Dan: "There will be a learning curve. I gotta learn Rick's system and how he does things. etc".

Dan's talking about how he misses being a part of an organization and working towards a common goal. He misses "wins and losses".

Dan decided to take the job at 11 am today. :lol:

Here's the dilly-oh:

Instead of Wannstedt and Spielman collaborating on personnel choices with no real accountability, Spielman now has personnel authority, Wanny is coaching and both will have to answer to Dan.

It's a move up for Spielman, but with the caveat of having A HoFer looking over his shoulder.

Weird. Interesting. Hmmm.

Why be so negative people?

There is word that Rick was over ridden on some draft decisions by Wanny.

I htinknot having Wanny make decisions is good. I think Dan will keep them all moving forward. He will bring a sense of urgency that this team hasn't had. He won't tolerate lack of improvement.

Sicne there was no big name GM to be had, I think we did the next best thing.

Plus I think its no coincidence that Dan Marino signs on to have Spiel and Wanny "report to him" in the offseason that we're going to do our best to acquire our next "franchise QB"

Talk about goin overboard. They're gettin Dan Marino AND Ron Wolf to bring in massive amounts of input on the QB situation.

I think Dan will like Phillip Rivers though, and I have a sneaking suspicion that Wolf will tend to like either Manning, Roethlisberger, or Losman if he doesn't recommend staying away from all four and taking a chance on a guy in the 3rd or 4th round....while WannSpiel might have a tendancy to like Losman because a) they wont have to move up to get him and b) he knows what its like to come under fire under a bad offensive line.

Wayne just stepped in and is tongue-lashing a reporter for implying to Dan that it's a figureheaded position. He's p*ssed about that.

He also mentioned "it's not a question......just like you guys were high-fiving at Buffalo". Don't know what happened there, but apparently it wasn't cool with Wayne.

Originally posted by fin-atic
Why be so negative people?

There is word that Rick was over ridden on some draft decisions by Wanny.

I htinknot having Wanny make decisions is good. I think Dan will keep them all moving forward. He will bring a sense of urgency that this team hasn't had. He won't tolerate lack of improvement.

Sicne there was no big name GM to be had, I think we did the next best thing.

Now that I've heard the full story, fin (specifically, Spielman being named GM), I feel a lot better about it.

Back
Top Bottom