MERGED:Peter King on Dallas radio this morning... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED:Peter King on Dallas radio this morning...

finpepper got so perfectly :0wned: in this thread, there isn't much else to say.

That and don't pick Peter King's lotto #s, they'll never come up.

:dolphins:

Culpepper has a long time before the season starts in September...I would rather be rehabbing my knee as a starting QB than my shoulder. King doesn't know what he is talking about.

whodatfever said:
FLAT out WRONG. Brees was on the radio yesterday and he said negotiations got to an impasse and he turned to Tom and said, "Forget this, I wanna be a Saint" Not because he was talking to a New Orleans audience, but because it was TRUTH. Condon confirmed it. Your fixation on the "injury" is YOUR way of dealing with this rejection. If it's what you need, by all means keep believing it. But KNOW that it is not truth.

ANyway, what did you think brees or his agent would say (or at least let the public know....damn! I wanted the dolphins but I will have to settle for the saints.

there are a lot of different stories floating around and none of us know the absolute truth but I have mostly been reading that the dolphins did not feel brees was worth that kind of money up front BECAUSE of his injury situation. Most people agree that culpepper is the better QB, stats and three probowls prove that but the debate was on money, injury and draft picks......Culpepper was better money, Brees did not cost any draft picks, but Brees lost on the injury issue or at least compared to the money wanting up front, proved too great a risk based on injury.

Yeah we all know that King is one of the best doctors in the country :rolleyes: and he is just pissed that he was wrong.
Listen we had doctors examine Brees and obvoiuslt they didn't like what they saw, CPep was examined and he passed a physical, obviously his injury is serious but he will recover. Now I was pulling for Brees because I didn't want the Dolphins to give up a pick for a QB, I also knew that his shoulder was messed up bad so I had my doubts about him, but I knew it would be a win- win situation for us because there was Daunte, who in 2004 would be worth more than a 2nd rounder, so it is a steal.
Also Whodatfever cant you form your own damn opinions? These ''Experts'' are wrong more often than most people think. And like I said King isn't a doctor or a coach and neither are you.

fishfan34 said:
:shakeno: :rolleyes: Um, I think i'm going to take the word of our team doctors over the word of Peter King. I love Peter King and usually value what he says, but, this is a medical decision and all Peter knows is what he's being told. Our Doctors did a full evaluation of Brees and in the end felt he was more of a risk. I'm sorry, but until Peter King goes and get's his Doctorite of Medicine and does his own evaluations of each player, then i'll listen to Dr. Kannell on this particular issue.

agreed

FinaticalOne said:
ohhhhh, I just realized. This guy only has one post.... :lol: Must be another jealous Bills fan. :lol:

yeah prolly...freakin people bashin someone that we just got whos passer rating is in the top 5 of all time QBs in the NFL. people need to shut the hell up and let us enjoy it damnt! :D

Mr.Majestik said:
I cannot find a single instance in the last twenty years where a quarterback who suffered either a labrum tear, or a rotator cuff tear returned to form. The track record of players suffering either one, or the other is bad, Brees suffered both. Neither Chad Pennington, or Tim Couch have been the same since suffering injuries to their throwing shoulders (and they were both patients of Brees's renowned surgeon James Andrews.) Jim McMahn suffered a similar injury in 1986 and did nothing thereafter. Don Majkowski had a Brees-like rotator cuff tear after his Pro Bowl season and was never the same again. Rich Gannon tore his labrum after his MVP season and he could not recover from it. Phil Simms had to retire after having an operation similar to the one Brees had. Jim Miller's career was ended by such an injury. Tony Boselli had his career ended by a Brees-like shoulder injury. If any commentator, including Peter King, says that Brees will be "just fine", he's talking out of his armpits. He won't be fine, there is simply no example of a player recovering their elite form after such injuries. The Dolphins dodged a bullet.

On the flip side, there are many examples of players recovering from the injury Daunte Culpepper suffered. Trent Green suffered an acl, mcl, and meniscus tear in his knee in 1999 and recovered rather nicely. Edgerrin James and Jamal Lewis had major reconstructive procedures on their knees and had all-pro seasons thereafter. Willis McGahee suffered a gruesome knee injury in the Fiesta Bowl and he's a Pro Bowl-caliber back today. Brees's injury and Culpepper's injury are not equivalent. Brees's injury is much worse and far more difficult to recover from.

Mr. Majestik...like the Charles Bronson movie ??

You can't really compare the injuries each of these guys recieved and how they'll recover...for that matter, you can't compare rotator cuff surgery from 1987 to 2005.... Each person's injury is unique to that person, not to others. Pennington and Couch and Majowski had major tears to the labrum, ligaments and rotator cuff...completely different than Brees...

I agree that a knee injury, even as bad as DCs was is much more likely to return to his previous health than rotator cuff/labrum tears....the fact is that nearly every QB and pitcher would show damage to the cuff after a period of time in their respective sports. Not all those who have damage need surgery though. I'm glad we ended up choosing DC. There is the possibility that Brees may not sufficiently recover back to his prior health, but it's not impossible to think that he will either...the indications are that his injury was not as severe as the other QBs you've mentioned...BTW, Gannon came back ok, the rest of his team died on him though, along with the coaching staff (LOL)...

Another reason not to compare the injuries is the age factor...other than Couch and Chad, all those guys were near the end of their career, well into their 30's. Brees has the advantage of being younger...Now, it still quite possible that he'll not be able to return, but to put a blanket statement out there that a QB can't return from this injury is wrong...

LarryFinFan said:
Mr. Majestik...like the Charles Bronson movie ??

You can't really compare the injuries each of these guys recieved and how they'll recover...for that matter, you can't compare rotator cuff surgery from 1987 to 2005.... Each person's injury is unique to that person, not to others. Pennington and Couch and Majowski had major tears to the labrum, ligaments and rotator cuff...completely different than Brees...

I agree that a knee injury, even as bad as DCs was is much more likely to return to his previous health than rotator cuff/labrum tears....the fact is that nearly every QB and pitcher would show damage to the cuff after a period of time in their respective sports. Not all those who have damage need surgery though. I'm glad we ended up choosing DC. There is the possibility that Brees may not sufficiently recover back to his prior health, but it's not impossible to think that he will either...the indications are that his injury was not as severe as the other QBs you've mentioned...BTW, Gannon came back ok, the rest of his team died on him though, along with the coaching staff (LOL)...

Another reason not to compare the injuries is the age factor...other than Couch and Chad, all those guys were near the end of their career, well into their 30's. Brees has the advantage of being younger...Now, it still quite possible that he'll not be able to return, but to put a blanket statement out there that a QB can't return from this injury is wrong...
The movie was bad, but the title was catchy I thought, a classic of Bronson's "I'm doing it for the money" phase.

I'm sure those players didn't all possess the exact same injuries, with the same degree of damage to their playing shoulders, but the trend has not been kind to quarterbacks who do suffer significant shoulder damage, and I can only characterize Brees's injury as significant. Apparently neither the Chargers, or Dolphins, after much medical scrutiny, had much confidence in his arm. From what I've read, the injury was worse then initially thought. He wasn't a strong-armed guy to begin with, so I don't know if that helps, or hurts him. Perhaps he can finesse the ball better then a guy that is used to gunning it, and can therefore adapt better to a post-injury career. Even the inept Saints essentially gave him a one-year audition. Unfortunately, if the likelihood is he never regains his previous form, the Saints not only gave the guy 10 mil for nothing, they will also probably miss out on drafting Matt Leinart, or Jay Cutler, which could in the long run turn out to be one of those astounding errors, like the Vikings trading away the store for Herschel Walker, or the Bengals not promoting Bill Walsh to head coach, or Dan Marino being passed over for Todd Blackledge, etc.. I think we got lucky.

Back
Top Bottom