Merged: Post Game Press Conference | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Post Game Press Conference

SuperDuperFan said:
gee gus, just because you dont audible the call doesntm mean you force it into double coverage either. the call was a bad one, yes, but lets not forget that frerotte made an awful decision on WHERE to throw the ball.

exactly. the whole argument saban makes for starting gus is that he wont make these types of negative plays.

Again, you must pay attention to both sides of the story. You can never overthink things unless you come up with the wrong conclusion.

I do not necessarily agree with the notion that you have to have an "identity" on offense to be good. Tell me, what do you think was New England's identity on offense in all their super bowl seasons? They ran the ball well, they passed the ball well, and they did either depending on what the defense was allowing them to exploit. IMO, there's nothing wrong with having an offense like that because it means you're good at whatever you do. You could be a passing team, you could be a running team. That's the best way to put a defense off balance and it's why you see the Patriots be able to come back like murder on teams in the 4th quarter.

I agree with what Linehan wants this offense to be. But, at some point, you have to start paying attention to what this offense IS rather than what you want it to be.

You know what I love about this thread? It's that everyone is assuming there's a good, or right, decision. But there isn't!! We don't even have a legitimate starting QB on the roster. It doesn't matter who we start at QB, we're going to get bottom-of-the-league play from the position. It's all a moot point if you ask me about who starts at QB.

As far as playcalling, that can absolutely be improved and needs to be looked at. I thought after combining for 40 carries last game that Linehan had figured it out. Apparently not. We should be running the ball 40 times EVERY GAME. Period. I don't care what the score is. You think the Steelers care what the score is when they run the ball like 80 times? Sometimes they're just averaging like 3 yards a carry, but they keep shoving it down people's throats. We need to do that, because that's what our personnel dictates.

As horrible as this sounds, I just hope we keep losing and get the first or second pick in the draft and get Leinart. I mean seriously, let's look to the future, because that's where we'll do our damage. Can you imagine how good this team would be with Leinart at QB?

laxcoach said:
This is flat out wrong. I've won championships as a H.S. coach (granted not the big leagues like Saban) and I can tell you definitively that staying players who are bad on gameday is a losing proposition. It is no different than Wanny saying that you have to have trust that the veterans will play better.

There are two ways to get better play out of a position. 1 - bench a guy to piss him off so that he plays better... I like guys like that. They are fighters. 2 - bench a guy and find someone better.

You can only "coach a guy up" so much. At some point his talent and instinct makes a player what he is. You will see flashes of potential, but they always regress to what they are.

One final thought. The thing that put me over the top as a coach was understanding that you need a mix of guys who play their assignments perfectly AND guys who are reckless but get away with it.

Sometimes you see guys in practice who drive you nuts because they don't do what you want, but they make these plays that almost piss you off because you want them to learn to be disciplined. We need 1 or 2 guys on defense like that. Further, it looks to me like we need a QB like that. The other guys are just playing their assignments.

I don't really agree with anything you wrote.

Players have a responsibility to perform well on gameday or else they are in jeopardy of losing their spot. That is indisputable. Also, the backups have to show that they are worthy of the spot. If you are watching the backup in practice screw up continuously, why make a switch? Don't say because it couldn't get worse, because if you believe that then you didn't watch the fins last year at all.

Parrot originally stated that Saban was "Coaching scared" if he didn't make a change at QB. That is totally off-base. We can all see how Gus looks, admittedly below average, but none of us know how Sage looks. This is the same logic that spurned the saying that the backup quarterback is always the fan favorite. Why? Because he doesn't have the opportunity to screw things up.

Honestly, your last three paragraphs show me that you don't know a lot about NFL football. The difference between poor teams and great teams in the NFL is the ability of the coaching staff to "Coach up" the players. It's getting the players to play within the system and function as a unit rather than reckless as an individual. Players that play reckless don't make NFL rosters. They may be effective in H/S, but they are useless in the NFL.

Link to press conference?

Been looking for a while and can't find it. The link on Dolphins insider to the postgame show is not working. Anyone know where I can either see it or read the transcript? Thanks in advance

ckparrothead said:
Again, you must pay attention to both sides of the story. You can never overthink things unless you come up with the wrong conclusion.

I do not necessarily agree with the notion that you have to have an "identity" on offense to be good. Tell me, what do you think was New England's identity on offense in all their super bowl seasons? They ran the ball well, they passed the ball well, and they did either depending on what the defense was allowing them to exploit. IMO, there's nothing wrong with having an offense like that because it means you're good at whatever you do. You could be a passing team, you could be a running team. That's the best way to put a defense off balance and it's why you see the Patriots be able to come back like murder on teams in the 4th quarter.

I agree with what Linehan wants this offense to be. But, at some point, you have to start paying attention to what this offense IS rather than what you want it to be.

You are right to an extent, but the strength of the Patriots is verstatility and the ability to change to exploit the defense's weaknesses. They can come out with 5 WR's or come out in a power formation and be just as successful. We are obviously not there yet. We are a running football team. In critical run situations, we need to run the football. In a year or so, maybe that's a good call, but it wasn't for the team we had on the field today.

vinivedivichi said:

Players have a responsibility to perform well on gameday or else they are in jeopardy of losing their spot. That is indisputable. Also, the backups have to show that they are worthy of the spot. If you are watching the backup in practice screw up continuously, why make a switch? Don't say because it couldn't get worse, because if you believe that then you didn't watch the fins last year at all.

Parrot originally stated that Saban was "Coaching scared" if he didn't make a change at QB. That is totally off-base. We can all see how Gus looks, admittedly below average, but none of us know how Sage looks. This is the same logic that spurned the saying that the backup quarterback is always the fan favorite. Why? Because he doesn't have the opportunity to screw things up.

Honestly, your last three paragraphs show me that you don't know a lot about NFL football. The difference between poor teams and great teams in the NFL is the ability of the coaching staff to "Coach up" the players. It's getting the players to play within the system and function as a unit rather than reckless as an individual. Players that play reckless don't make NFL rosters. They may be effective in H/S, but they are useless in the NFL.

You're taking it for granted that the backup looks like the worst player in the world in practice or something. If he did, he wouldn't be the backup. He wouldn't even be on the team. Sage Rosenfels scratched and clawed his way from 3rd on the depth chart to 2nd on the depth chart SOMEHOW, so you should not take it for granted that he looks bad in practice at all.

You're trying to pretend like we propose to put 3rd string or even worst guys in place of a starter, because the starter is performing poorly. We're not. If Sage did not look decent in practice he would not be our second QB. Provided that in practice, Gus looks better than Sage, but Sage does not look like the worst QB in the world, and then when you get into games Gus Frerotte is SUCKING BADLY, to go with the guy you know just because you don't want to risk finding out what the backup looks like during games is COACHING SCARED.

You don't have to take things to extremes here. Logically speaking, the disparity between Gus Frerotte and Sage Rosenfels in practice is not very wide. I know you will say, how do I know that. By simple logic. If it WAS that wide, Rosenfels would not be the 2nd QB, and AJ Feeley would probably still be on this team.

vinivedivichi said:
You are right to an extent, but the strength of the Patriots is verstatility and the ability to change to exploit the defense's weaknesses. They can come out with 5 WR's or come out in a power formation and be just as successful. We are obviously not there yet. We are a running football team. In critical run situations, we need to run the football. In a year or so, maybe that's a good call, but it wasn't for the team we had on the field today.

To show how much you're mincing words with me, I am not right, "to an extent" I am right, period, and you didn't disagree with a single thing I wrote.

....this all just makes Marino all the more special/respected/missed IMO...

ckparrothead said:
To show how much you're mincing words with me, I am not right, "to an extent" I am right, period, and you didn't disagree with a single thing I wrote.

You're a POS. I was trying to be fairly diplomatic in a response, but I guess you can't handle that. You are factually right in that the Patriots are versatile, but you are wrong in thinking that that philosophy can just be adopted by us. How's that? One thing is pretty clear at this point........

You are right. Nobody can tell you otherwise, and that's just the way it is. Almost all of your posts have a certain arrogance to them that makes me sick. Here's a news flash....You don't know more than Saban.

Another thing.... How in the hell do you accuse me of mincing words? Do you read through your posts? It was a good call and it was a bad call? That's ridiculous.

vinivedivichi said:
You're a POS. I was trying to be fairly diplomatic in a response, but I guess you can't handle that. You are factually right in that the Patriots are versatile, but you are wrong in thinking that that philosophy can just be adopted by us. How's that? One thing is pretty clear at this point........

You are right. Nobody can tell you otherwise, and that's just the way it is. Almost all of your posts have a certain arrogance to them that makes me sick. Here's a news flash....You don't know more than Saban.

Another thing.... How in the hell do you accuse me of mincing words? Do you read through your posts? It was a good call and it was a bad call? That's ridiculous.

Please keep the TOS in mind when you post. You seem locked into this permanent disagreement with everything I am saying, while agreeing with pretty much every point that I brought up. To demonstrate this, I merely pointed out that you had to stick the qualifier "to an extent" when you said that I am right, yet you did not actually go on to disagree with anything that I wrote. So why was I only right "to an extent"? Shouldn't you just be saying "you are right"?

Anyway, saying that you are mincing words with me is no excuse for personal slander. You COULD be banned for it. So, again, please keep the TOS in mind when posting.

ckparrothead said:
The call in itself was not bad. I don't mind when a coordinator errs of the side of being too aggressive. The defense expected a run, and so we called a play-action. Purely from a play-call perspective, that's not a bad play-call.

The problem with the play-call was Linehan should be taking into account Gus Frerotte's inaccuracy, and tendencies to turn the ball over in the red zone, in addition to taking into account the fact that Ricky & Ronnie were running like men possessed all day.

But they werent running all day CK. they ran the ball 18 times or something like that! They should have been running the ball nearly every friggin time the way we were moving it on them! This is what eats me more than anything. Linehan showed his talents all day long. Four end arounds and four line of scrimmage passes. I think the league is onto him now. :rolleyes:

vinivedivichi said:

Fact is is that Sage could provide a spark. But the problem will inevidably come back to Linehan and his playcalling. Which sucks basically.

When the strength of your team is the run ( because it definitely isn't the pass).... Ricky & Ronnie... not to use them in the heat against a defense wearing dark red & black when it's 120 degrees on the field.... that's stupid. Really stupid.

Their passing game today was the worst of this year. Frerotte was not accurate, no long balls were thrown, and McMichael & Chambers have to (again) learn how to catch a ball - after all it is the N - F - L .

The passing calls on the last possession were ludacris. You have two studs having their way with the defense... It's B.S..... it's a waste.... and it makes me wonder how smart are those in charge.

Back
Top Bottom