Merged: Rick Spielman to the Vikings . . . | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Rick Spielman to the Vikings . . .

jim1 said:
Commendable thoughts, but:

-Spielman pulled out his Al Haig impersonation before Saban was hired, the whole I'm in charge, I'm not going anywhere thing, then got kicked out on his backside by Saban like a whooped puppy.

-Even though he may not be at fault for Eddie Moore/Jamar Fletcher (Thx DW, you moron) he still pulled the trigger on Lamar Gordon/AJ Feeley. He rolled the bones and crapped out- Kay Jay Harris is better than Gordon and was a FA.

-Much like Theisman, Spielman is an annoying, nerve grating JERK. My personal dream- Theisman, Spielman, and Sean Salisbury in a space capsule heading for Nebulon 5.

As far as "Al Haig", I can see that a little differently, not for argument, but simply trying to "understand" all sides. At the time of his remarks, we were a rudderless ship. At times he did try to ambassador to the fans to provide continuity as the old era ended and a new one began. While he may have been politically unpolished and wrong in some of his statements, he was still try to show the fanbase the ship was not ablaze. What other public figures in the FO were attempting the same? Sure, he was walking a plank, but at least he was courageous enough to do it. Chalk it up to learning, but I appreciate the effort.

Feeley/Gordon - yes, he was responsible. But, was he responsible for Gordon's injury? Had Gordon been healthy and rushed for a 1,000 yards, this would be a different story. Technically, that chapter was never written.

I do understand the Feeley situation. But, let's face it, he pulled the trigger, but Wanny was still the coach on the field. And Fiedler was still "his" guy. Not too mention Wanny had begun feeling the pressure, so he was digging in and depending on those loyal to him. Fans forget exactly how divided the organization was becoming. That was not a situation for Feeley to thrive in. All the talent in the world can't make a play if the coach does not want you on the field. I'm not saying Feeley was/is a Pro Bowler, but we also can't draw conclusions on exactly how much "power" or "freedom" Spielman had in picking Feeley. Sure, in the press, it looked as if Spielman simply hand picked Feeley from all of the QBs in the league. But does anyone really know that? If you had a career job making over half million $$$$/year and your boss told you to go buy a brand new Porsche with just $10,000 dollars, are you going to quit or try like hell to find that Porsche? My analysis is simply this: in the situation with Wanny/Fiedler/Spielman/Wayne/etc.... we don't know truly what was going on behind closed doors. It would be ignorant for anyone to assume everything about the situation was cut and dry.

As far as the "Theisman" comparison, I agree. Spielman has shown instances of classlessness toward the Phins as it appears he has tried to exact revenge on the organize from his bully pulpit at ESPN.

And that I don't appreciate.

But, while he was looking at me in the camera, I don't think he was talking to me.... so I can understand he might be harboring some distaste for the organization.

I hear so much about how people "should handle" situations and how to be "professional".... but, most of those statements are made by people who live in those situations every day (experience) or from those who have never been in the situations (speculation).

My only true feeling in writing my original post was: Now, he has a fair chance to prove himself.

For, some have forgotten, he has yet to have one of those as a GM in his career.

For that reason I wish him luck and may he learn from what he has experienced.

For I hold no ill will towards the man and I appreciate him never quitting on my team.

The vikes are now the Cow Pies of the NFC north... Favre could prolly throw 12 int's in a game and still beat them with speilmans players on the field.

NathanHunt said:
As far as "Al Haig", I can see that a little differently, not for argument, but simply trying to "understand" all sides. At the time of his remarks, we were a rudderless ship. At times he did try to ambassador to the fans to provide continuity as the old era ended and a new one began. While he may have been politically unpolished and wrong in some of his statements, he was still try to show the fanbase the ship was not ablaze. What other public figures in the FO were attempting the same? Sure, he was walking a plank, but at least he was courageous enough to do it. Chalk it up to learning, but I appreciate the effort.

Feeley/Gordon - yes, he was responsible. But, was he responsible for Gordon's injury? Had Gordon been healthy and rushed for a 1,000 yards, this would be a different story. Technically, that chapter was never written.

I do understand the Feeley situation. But, let's face it, he pulled the trigger, but Wanny was still the coach on the field. And Fiedler was still "his" guy. Not too mention Wanny had begun feeling the pressure, so he was digging in and depending on those loyal to him. Fans forget exactly how divided the organization was becoming. That was not a situation for Feeley to thrive in. All the talent in the world can't make a play if the coach does not want you on the field. I'm not saying Feeley was/is a Pro Bowler, but we also can't draw conclusions on exactly how much "power" or "freedom" Spielman had in picking Feeley. Sure, in the press, it looked as if Spielman simply hand picked Feeley from all of the QBs in the league. But does anyone really know that? If you had a career job making over half million $$$$/year and your boss told you to go buy a brand new Porsche with just $10,000 dollars, are you going to quit or try like hell to find that Porsche? My analysis is simply this: in the situation with Wanny/Fiedler/Spielman/Wayne/etc.... we don't know truly what was going on behind closed doors. It would be ignorant for anyone to assume everything about the situation was cut and dry.

As far as the "Theisman" comparison, I agree. Spielman has shown instances of classlessness toward the Phins as it appears he has tried to exact revenge on the organize from his bully pulpit at ESPN.

And that I don't appreciate.

But, while he was looking at me in the camera, I don't think he was talking to me.... so I can understand he might be harboring some distaste for the organization.

I hear so much about how people "should handle" situations and how to be "professional".... but, most of those statements are made by people who live in those situations every day (experience) or from those who have never been in the situations (speculation).

My only true feeling in writing my original post was: Now, he has a fair chance to prove himself.

For, some have forgotten, he has yet to have one of those as a GM in his career.

For that reason I wish him luck and may he learn from what he has experienced.

For I hold no ill will towards the man and I appreciate him never quitting on my team.

Again, good points- and yes, RS was caught up in the stink of DW, and maybe that wasn't fair. But nonetheless, in my opinion, RS blew and DW was even worse as a head coach- their track records are horrific. Spielman comes accross as such a jerk that I can't, in all honesty, say that I wish him well in Minnesota. And shame on Huizenga for not only hiring them, but for embarrassing himself, the players, and the fans by employing that disgrace of a duo for 5 of the darkest years in franchise gistory.

PaPhinz said:
Guess Jay Fiedler will have a new home shortly

Jay Fiedler was ALL Wannstedt.
Fiedler was his boy and he refused to even look at any starting caliber QB's.

Give credit where it's due.
You can question Speilman on other acquisitions but don't forget who was responsible for our QB position rotting for 5 years.

Funniest thing I've read all day! This is great news!

jim1 said:
Again, good points- and yes, RS was caught up in the stink of DW, and maybe that wasn't fair. But nonetheless, in my opinion, RS blew and DW was even worse as a head coach- their track records are horrific. Spielman comes accross as such a jerk that I can't, in all honesty, say that I wish him well in Minnesota. And shame on Huizenga for not only hiring them, but for embarrassing himself, the players, and the fans by employing that disgrace of a duo for 5 of the darkest years in franchise gistory.

RS track record isn't horrific...he was doing what needed to be done once he took over as GM, unfortunately he didn't get to finish it..but I saw where was going and I completely agreed with it. I think you guys missed the big picture of what he was doing..and as I've said, a lot of Saban's first draft had Spielman's work behind it..when all is said and done, I think Speilman changing the OL to youth will be mention in his favor, I think Bell and Poole and Hadnot, Carey, Jeno James, Chambers, Booker, Welker, first real return man we've never had, Morris, and last years work to bring in Holliday, Carter, Traylor, Tillman, Schutler, and a couple of others come to mind..even with Saban having the last said, I'm willing to bet spielman's input played some roll, even if Saban was going to change him out...but I noticed Mr. H. didn't immediately push Speilman out, and Speilman finally resigned, seeing that Saban didn't want to work with him, but I think Saban handle that badly, one bad mark for Saban for me.

:sidelol:
When I first heard this, I thought this was a VERY late April's fool joke ! Living in Minnesota and being a Fin Fan hasn't been easy, but with this move, I almost feel sorry for the fans up here. ALMOST! I can almost hear the roar of all the moving van engines next off-season from all the Viking players moving to other teams.

JFoxx said:
:sidelol:
When I first heard this, I thought this was a VERY late April's fool joke ! Living in Minnesota and being a Fin Fan hasn't been easy, but with this move, I almost feel sorry for the fans up here. ALMOST! I can almost hear the roar of all the moving van engines next off-season from all the Viking players moving to other teams.
Keep up the good work up there Foxx. I couldn't contain the laughter, but afterwards I felt REALLY bad fot them. Truly. I am not kidding.

MDFINFAN said:
RS track record isn't horrific...he was doing what needed to be done once he took over as GM, unfortunately he didn't get to finish it..but I saw where was going and I completely agreed with it. I think you guys missed the big picture of what he was doing..and as I've said, a lot of Saban's first draft had Spielman's work behind it..when all is said and done, I think Speilman changing the OL to youth will be mention in his favor, I think Bell and Poole and Hadnot, Carey, Jeno James, Chambers, Booker, Welker, first real return man we've never had, Morris, and last years work to bring in Holliday, Carter, Traylor, Tillman, Schutler, and a couple of others come to mind..even with Saban having the last said, I'm willing to bet spielman's input played some roll, even if Saban was going to change him out...but I noticed Mr. H. didn't immediately push Speilman out, and Speilman finally resigned, seeing that Saban didn't want to work with him, but I think Saban handle that badly, one bad mark for Saban for me.

Huizenga didn't boot out RS because that would have undermined Saban's authority- no reflection upon the value of RS IMO. That's quite a leap of faith in my eyes, your equating (to a substantial extent) RS input with the successfull 2005 draft. If RS was so good why did Saban kick his rump out the door? Because he was a talented jerk, or because he was an untaletned jerk? For whatever reason Spielman got booted, and I'm not going to become an apologist for him (tied in with Wannestedt, et al). But I will say this: HE WASN'T THAT BAD. He was ok to sub-par. The clown and the disgrace was Wannestedt- he who had the nerve to take his paycheck, go to Pitt, ruin their program (in the works) and say that he "couldn't care less" about the Dolphins. Mr. Huizenga, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? Wannestedt made Huizenga look like a jackass- Spielman wasn't in that caliber of stink, but sorry- I didn't care for him, either.

endorPHINS72 said:
First Brad Childress, now Spielman...Minnesota will be the new Detroit Lions of the NFC Central.
dude i respect you as a dolphin fan but that picture of daunte kind of freaks me out,do you see what i'am talking about

If you think we ripped off the Vikes in the Culpepper trade, wait til Speilman gets there. Maybe we can get K.Williams, D.Sharper, and S.Hutchinson for a 3rd round pick and an ipod.

good Luck Dealing With An Idiot Vikings, This Guy Is Gunna Screw You Badly Hahahahahaha, O And Thanks For Culpepper, He'll Do Us Awsome!!! Thanks Speliman

Finz Fury said:
If you think we ripped off the Vikes in the Culpepper trade, wait til Speilman gets there. Maybe we can get K.Williams, D.Sharper, and S.Hutchinson for a 3rd round pick and an ipod.

add bryant mckinney on there, then speliman will accept it.

Back
Top Bottom