Merged: Rick Spielman to the Vikings . . . | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Rick Spielman to the Vikings . . .

It's downhill from here for the Vikes. Here's a preview for the Vikes fans:
dumb140-1.jpeg

Spielman on draft day

this is all miami's doing. Don't you think the personel shift going in in minni
has a little something to do with the fact that they traded a probowl talent QB for just a second round pick? I think the vikings are more than just a little panicked.:egads::yikes::hide:

lose pep and get take spielman pretty sure the vikes are bending over and closing there eyes and just taking it rite now :moon:

I don't think Spielman is that bad of a personnel manager. Look at who he drafted when HE cotrolled the draft - Hadnot, Pope, Poole, and Carey. Three starters and one reserve. I don't think that's bad. His bad mistake no one will let him forget - the trade for AJ Feeley. He traded for a WCO QB when Wannstedt didn't allow that type of offense.

Also, remember Wannstedt had the final say on draft picks before the last year. Spielmand and his scouts provided input, Wannstedt selected.

MDFINFAN said:
RS track record isn't horrific...he was doing what needed to be done once he took over as GM, unfortunately he didn't get to finish it..but I saw where was going and I completely agreed with it. I think you guys missed the big picture of what he was doing..and as I've said, a lot of Saban's first draft had Spielman's work behind it..when all is said and done, I think Speilman changing the OL to youth will be mention in his favor, I think Bell and Poole and Hadnot, Carey, Jeno James, Chambers, Booker, Welker, first real return man we've never had, Morris, and last years work to bring in Holliday, Carter, Traylor, Tillman, Schutler, and a couple of others come to mind..even with Saban having the last said, I'm willing to bet spielman's input played some roll, even if Saban was going to change him out...but I noticed Mr. H. didn't immediately push Speilman out, and Speilman finally resigned, seeing that Saban didn't want to work with him, but I think Saban handle that badly, one bad mark for Saban for me.

I've always felt that Spielman was the catalyst to blowing up our OLine. I've also judged Spielman based on the situation and the tools he had to work with. I commend him for standing at his post and continuing to pursue the talent available with the resources available in one of the worst years in our history. He simply didn't quit. But, unfortunately, many fans associate Spielman with Wanny. And, the baggage that goes along with it.

That is why I wish him well in Minny. He has severed his ties with the Johnson Regime and has a chance to start anew.

But, I do unapprove of his rhetoric on ESPN. But, in the same breath, I hope that too was a learning experience for him. Maybe he can grow from it.

jim1 said:
Huizenga didn't boot out RS because that would have undermined Saban's authority- no reflection upon the value of RS IMO. That's quite a leap of faith in my eyes, your equating (to a substantial extent) RS input with the successfull 2005 draft. If RS was so good why did Saban kick his rump out the door? Because he was a talented jerk, or because he was an untaletned jerk? For whatever reason Spielman got booted, and I'm not going to become an apologist for him (tied in with Wannestedt, et al). But I will say this: HE WASN'T THAT BAD. He was ok to sub-par. The clown and the disgrace was Wannestedt- he who had the nerve to take his paycheck, go to Pitt, ruin their program (in the works) and say that he "couldn't care less" about the Dolphins. Mr. Huizenga, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? Wannestedt made Huizenga look like a jackass- Spielman wasn't in that caliber of stink, but sorry- I didn't care for him, either.

Saban did value Spielman's input. And, he did not want to walk into his first draft as a HC with only his own talent evaluation and decision making. He's smart enough to value the importance of alternative viewpoints.

I think Spielman's resignation was many things, but for the most part I believe 2 factors were at work:

1) I think Spielman realized Saban was never going to give personnel decision making authority to a "GM". Let's face it, Mueller's a limited GM. It's the same situation Spielman had under Wanny. And, while their may have been conflicting philosophies between Spielman and Saban, Spielman had finally achieved GM status in the NFL. No goal oriented person would make a career choice to relinquish the best job (with most responsibilities) of his life after he's spent his entire adult life reaching for that job. It's a move that insults your own abilities. Spielman reached an impass with his career in Miami. To be a "GM", he couldn't work in Miami.

2) Spielman represented the "Old Guard". While it is a practice I disagree with, Saban ultimately knew he must clean out the entire organization of the "Johnson Regime" to receive complete fan support. It was a bad taste that needed to be rinsed out. Spielman's continued efforts to assure the fans "he" was in charge (to stabilize the bumpy ship while Saban came aboard) ultimately placed him (in public view) as a contradiction to Saban's "complete control" given by Wayne. In a somewhat similar situation, Jimmy's tenure ("New Guard") was mared by the handling of Dan ("Old Guard").

Ultimately, Spielman was the "Old Guard" and had to go.

I just think too many fans have narrow mindedly judged Spielman using "guilt by association" to Wanny.

BUT, jim1, I think for the most part we agree... it's just you're just more emphatic about ridding yourself of the "Spielman" legacy. Which I understand.

Phinz RULE!

being from N.Iowa, on the most still of days when there is no wind, you can still smell the terrible football Minnesota puts out...
Sorry Goofer fans

I cant believe there are still apologists for Speilman.How many more franchises does he have to ruin before they come around.

The best Saban could say about him was that he wasnt displeased.

Catch 22 said:
I cant believe there are still apologists for Speilman.How many more franchises does he have to ruin before they come around.

The best Saban could say about him was that he wasnt displeased.

Ruin, the guy was just starting to rebuild ours because the collapse of Wanny..he did the best thing possible when he started to shake up our OL and rebuild it. Saban benefitted from what he was doing..if he had his way early on, I bet we'd never see the likes of the E. Moores and the CB who never worked out. The only bad move I saw him make, and I still don't think it was terrible with the AJ Feeley 2nd round deal, he shouldn't have given up such a high pick, but he still should have tried for a different QB than Fielder. He had the right idea, just didn't have the right people fall his way, Saban was very fortunate to have a choice of D. Culpepper or Brees to choose from, it's not often you get that kind of choice.

Between him and Childress, they are set! LMAO!

chuckcole said:
I wonder if the Vikings would like to trade a 2nd round pick for Eddie Moore?

:sidelol: What a joke huh, who in there right mind would hire that LOSER!!!! It kind of make you wonder how bad of an owner MINNy has... ABSOLUTLEY AMAZING!!!

Another dump move by the Vikings organization. Be expecting the Vikes to trade there 2nd rounder to the Chargers for Feeley.

People want to make excuses for Speilman but he did as bad in one year as any GM could do in my opinion. Giving away 2nd and 3rd round picks for third string players is enough of a mistake. Then in the draft he got snookered out of a 4th round pick to pick a guy that was going to be there anyway. Speilman was awful and Minnesota will regret hiring this guy.

Back
Top Bottom