Merged: Three Nfl Players On Missing Boat | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Three Nfl Players On Missing Boat

Does it matter whether one of the guys saved is not an NFL'er? Their families care about them just as much as the two guys who play in the NFL. It seems like the media is focused more on the two NFL guys. :rolleyes2:

Guy, I was just reporting what I know.... just because there NFLers doesn't make their lives any more important.... but that is why they're getting this media att'n

So if I were to say that the only reason you made the Wellington High School baseball team was because you were a left handed pitcher instead of a righty, would that be appropriate since you seem to think that these men deserve to die because they are football players and thus not intelligent?

ok fellow fin fans, i apologize for my negative remarks about the boat situation. i especially apologize to the person who knows one of the guys. i couldn't imagine if it were my father or cousins on the boat.

My brother is in the Coast Guard, and he used to live out there. He says he wouldn't take a boat that size more than 5 miles offshore in that area. My other brother has a 26 ft Cobia and we take it offshore in Titusville all the time. It's very dangerous to take a boat that size that far off shore. We go out about 30 miles but we monitor the weather very closely. Seas at 6 foot are very dangerous in a boat that size. Any more than that is guaranteed problems. There is a website called http://seaboard.ndbc.noaa.gov/ that we use to check the current weather and the upcoming weather before we even come close to making a move. It's clear that these guys did not do that or they were not aware of the dangers of taking a boat out that far in these approaching weather conditions. It was a error in judgment for sure. It does not sound good but I hope the best for them. That is a terrible way to die.

Guys,

It does not look good for these guys. If the boat turned over( which is a good chance in those seas) than those guys went into the water. OK, water absorbs heat 25 times faster than air. A resting swimmer chills in about 1 hr in 75 - 80 degree water. However, people have died within 1 hr in 40 degree water. As of today the water temp is in the mid 60s in their area. These men will start to feel the effects of mild Hypothermia when their core temp is about 95 degrees. If their core temp hits about 91.4 degrees they are in a state in of severe hypothermia and heat loss must be stopped immediately. Hopefully they have flotation devices to help. Hope for the best but be prepared for the worst. Bottom line is if any of them were in the water, I think they would have 3-4 hours to be rescued. After that survival is unlikely but possible. I work as a diver in South Florida and can tell you that I fell the effects of hypothermia in 70 degree water in about 2 hrs with a wet suit on. They have been out there a long time so hope that the boat did not over turn.

oh my, I wish I could say that was true to fuel your newfound hatred for someone that doesn't value the lives of 4 strangers en route to Gilligan's Island. If these clowns weren't professional football players, no one would care. Now, because their ignorance put them in a difficult spot, they are famous? Cry me a river :boohoo::boohoo:

PS- I was a left handed pitcher for Wellington High School from 1999-2002. I was hated, but not picked on pal. I can assure you that much.

I played football, baseball, and wrestled there. Graduated in 1992. bet we know each other!

Update....The Coast Guard says a man who went missing during a fishing trip has been found clinging to an overturned boat that belongs to Oakland Raiders linebacker Marquis Cooper.
The Coast Guard says former University of South Florida player Nick Schuyler was rescued Monday off the Florida coast. Authorities say Cooper, Detroit Lions free agent Corey Smith and former South Florida player, William Bleakley, remain missing.
Coast Guard Capt. Timothy M. Close says Schuyler told rescuers that the 21-foot boat was anchored when it flipped Saturday evening in rough seas. Schuyler told rescuers the others got separated from the boat and that he had been clinging to it since.....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/03/02/missing.ap/index.html

Survivor clinging to overturned NFL player’s boat

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-missingboaters-nfl&prov=ap&type=lgns
Survivor clinging to overturned NFL player’s boat

By CHRISTINE ARMARIO, Associated Press Writer 42 minutes ago

• TAMPA, Fla. (AP)—A missing boater found clinging to an overturned boat was rescued Monday off Florida’s Gulf Coast, but the search continued for two NFL players and another man aboard who didn’t return from a weekend fishing trip.
Survivor Nick Schuyler, a former University of South Florida player, told rescuers that the 21-foot boat was anchored when it flipped Saturday evening in rough seas and that the others got separated from the boat, Capt. Timothy M. Close said. Schuyler, who was wearing a life vest, had been clinging to the boat since then.
The boat belongs to Oakland Raiders linebacker Marquis Cooper, who along with free-agent defensive lineman Corey Smith and former South Florida player William Bleakley, remained missing.
Television footage showed Schuyler conscious but weak as he was being taken off a helicopter at Tampa General Hospital and placed on a stretcher. The hospital declined immediate comment.

Close said the Coast Guard would search for the three missing men for “quite awhile.”
The four left Clearwater Pass early Saturday in calm weather, but heavy winds picked up through the day and the seas got heavy, with waves of 7 feet and higher, peaking at 15 feet on Sunday. A relative alerted the Coast Guard early Sunday after the men did not return as expected.
The Coast Guard had searched about 16,000 square miles of ocean for the Everglades-manufactured boat by Monday morning. Everglades boats are built with compressed foam encased in Fiberglas, which makes them difficult or impossible to sink.
Waves had subsided to 6 to 8 feet, still enough for a small craft advisory, National Weather Service meteorologist Todd Barron said.
Cooper and Smith, who were teammates with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2004, have been on fishing trips before, according to Ron Del Duca, Smith’s agent.
The 29-year-old Smith of Richmond, Va., is 6-foot-2, 250 pounds and had 30 tackles, including three sacks, and an interception in 12 games last season for the Detroit Lions.
Cooper, 26, who is 6-foot-3, 230 pounds, has spent five seasons with five different teams, appearing in 26 games with the Buccaneers in 2004 and 2005, but playing sparingly since. He grew up in Gilbert, Ariz., and his father Bruce is a prominent sportscaster for KPNX-TV in Phoenix.

yeah, very sad. Makes you wonder why everyone could not just stick with the overturned boat......???

Back
Top Bottom