Merged: Upshaw dares owners to opt out / NFL Strike | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Upshaw dares owners to opt out / NFL Strike

if that is true, I still think they are paid at the fair price...even if it went up to 60-70 % you have a link for that ?

No i don't. Unfortunately not too long ago my computer started hanging around with less repuatble compuetrs and well you know got the HIV.

New tower and all. Most of my stuff like that wasn't backed up. If i find the time I will see if I can locate it.

Also remember that these athletes generate huge amounts of money for pension plans for the newer players etc. And, that w/o revenure sharing teams like the Bills, Packers etc. would not be here, its all part of the collective good.

Players only make what they bring in. Yes they make a LOT of money, but that is only because so much money each year is invested into the NFL to watch these guys play, and to wear their jerseys.

The only thing about player contracts that needs to change is the rookie contracts. All they do are doom teams financially and push veterans out too early.

if that is true, I still think they are paid at the fair price...even if it went up to 60-70 % you have a link for that ?

don't forget that the NFL is making more and more revenues with their international projects, the market is getting huge

These guys are paid at a fair price?

What do you consider an important occupation? Fireman? Policeman? Soldier? Teacher?...arent these some of the things that actually nurture and improve our society?

Football (As much as I LOVE it) is a nicety. Nothing more...NOTHING MORE.

Being a study in economics, what do you think a Teachers salary compares to an absolute scrub (3rd string QB, never evan touches a football)?

These guys are a bunch of overpaid crybabies...let em go on strike!

Players only make what they bring in. Yes they make a LOT of money, but that is only because so much money each year is invested into the NFL to watch these guys play, and to wear their jerseys.

The only thing about player contracts that needs to change is the rookie contracts. All they do are doom teams financially and push veterans out too early.

The owners in general have a good deal to with the current state of the game. If they didn't fall over themsleves when trying to outbid the other guy for the services of "said player" do you think that this would all exist today?

Think back to the AFL vs NFL............the competition for players drove the market upward.

What do you consider an important occupation? Fireman? Policeman? Soldier? Teacher?...arent these some of the things that actually nurture and improve our society?

Being a study in economics, what do you think a Teachers salary compares to an absolute scrub (3rd string QB, never evan touches a football)?

When teachers, fireman and so on fill 60,000 seat stadiums and bring in the profits that NFL players do for their higher ups (owners, school boards whatever) they will get paid like that.

Now dont think I dont believe teachers should be paid better than they are, or anything like that. It's unrelated though, because the circumstances of their employment are far different.

I am not talking about the "human" aspect of the phenomenon, but rather the "economic" side of it. You can argue the fact that they are paid to play a game, and others would say "well, they sacrifice their body and the average career length is 3 years (fact) so it's no big deal" ... if you're on one side or the other is determined by personal convictions that cannot be judged

but if I look economically at the NFL, without every other aspect of the game and our society, there is no arguing that they ARE underpaid

One thing to remember, the fact that these "overpaid crybabies" sacrifice the ability to walk again, or pick up a quarter from the floor. Yes they chose to do this for a living etc. but just a quick question:

What is walking worth to you?............... now ask someone who can't.

These guys will face adversities we will never see or feel....all the while someone who has never had to make that sacrifice will say "he sucks". Hopefully Mr. Armchair jock doesn't spill his beer, or worse get a hangnail.

The fans only focus on the few superstars they know...........how many could name th entire roster w/o looking. Any takers? The majority of the strikes in pro sports wasn't done on behalf of the superstars. Why would they need to, they have the connections, money and fame to get things done w/o a strike. Think about when Emmitt Smith held out, who didn't know about that.......now ask anyone if on the same day the long snapper got cut. Mostly these strikes are for the guys we never hear of or refer to TC fodder. There are many more of the "nobodies" than superstars.

just found this

http://www.nflpa.org/cba/cba_pdf/Article_IV_No_Strike-Lockout-Suit.pdf

so basically they cannot go on strike... buuuut it's written december 2006, i dunno when the agreement ends... probably not soon because they usually do those things long term to avoid strikes and lock outs....

and the NFLPA COULD go on strike if they consider the NFL broke other agreements in the deal ... and even if I wanted, i couldn't verify it lolll cause 1- it's too long and 2- it's probably a fiscal disagreement and the numbers aren't on internet..

When teachers, fireman and so on fill 60,000 seat stadiums and bring in the profits that NFL players do for their higher ups (owners, school boards whatever) they will get paid like that.

Now dont think I dont believe teachers should be paid better than they are, or anything like that. It's unrelated though, because the circumstances of their employment are far different.

Far different yes. Less important, absolutely.

I am blaming this much more on society than the league.

Regardless, where is the value?

If the NFL folded tomorrow, would your life as you know it go on?

Can you say the same for Police, Firemen, Soldiers or teachers? Dont answer, just thing seriously about that ;)

One more thought. The fact that these organizations can run these exuberent prices up directly affect each and everyone of us. It hits in our livelyhood while giving those that diminish (Millionaire players) having so much for giving so little in return. It is getting worse and not better. With the advent of NFL package you can expect to pay more and more each year to watch your team on Television..as that happens, what do you think the prices of tickets at the game is gonna do?

Just economics 101..and food for thought.;)

WOW!!! That is a slap in the face to all Firefighters!

Far different yes. Less important, absolutely.

I am blaming this much more on society than the league.

Regardless, where is the value?

If the NFL folded tomorrow, would your life as you know it go on?

Can you say the same for Police, Firemen, Soldiers or teachers? Dont answer, just thing seriously about that ;)

One more thought. The fact that these organizations can run these exuberent prices up directly affect each and everyone of us. It hits in our livelyhood while giving those that diminish (Millionaire players) having so much for giving so little in return. It is getting worse and not better. With the advent of NFL package you can expect to pay more and more each year to watch your team on Television..as that happens, what do you think the prices of tickets at the game is gonna do?

Just economics 101..and food for thought.;)

I'm just gonna go a philosophical train here for moment. If the world as I know it includes football, and then it disappears, then the answer to your question is no. Simply b/c what I know has changed and therefore will never be the same from that point forward. But, if you mean will my life be worse off w/o football etc. then yes it will.

1- rookies are overpaid
2- other players who are good in the NFL are underpaid

rookies get so much guaranteed money, it's ridiculous, it's that simple ( the first 10 rookies )

good vets though ARE underpaid, even if the vast majority of us people think the opposite:
"he's paid 7 millions per season and he's still crying, what an Ahole" and blablabla ...

sorry but I study in economics, and the numbers don't lie. I don't know them exactly, but your talking about franchises that a worth a billion or little less, they make ridiculously high revenues and have 100 million, with maybe another 10 million for the coaches to pay per year in salaries ... who generate benefits for the company ? the players ! and what do they get ? I don't know the exact number, but i'm pretty sure it isn't even at 50% of the share and still some think they are overpaid at times when in reality, it is the owner and share-holders who are laughing with their pockets full

i may get flamed for this comment but it is the unsung reality us average joes often don't realize

Not flaming you...

But I work for someone worth about 250 Million plus... He makes about 3-5 million dollars a month. I work with about 400+ other people. We all make good money and know that he pays more than anybody else in town.

The point is...

The owner is the owner...
The help is the help...

You figure out who should be making the money...

I think it is just like any other company in the world. If you own it...you set the pay for your workers. If they don't like it...they have a choice to make. They can stay or they can go elsewhere...

But I do not think that 90% of the players could make 100K a year at another job.

I side with the owners. They are the ones that have MILLIONS invested each MONTH in the game. But we the FANS are the ones that lose if there is a strike.

I think rookie contracts should look something like this. Oh yeah the guarantee money...CYA. Should only amount up to 15% of their total contract value.

Round One: (4 Year Contracts)
1 - 5 Picks: 5 Million per season max.
6 - 10 Picks: 4.5 Million per season max.
11 - 20 Picks: 4 Million per season max.
21 - 32 Picks: 3.5 Million per season max.

Round Two: (3 Year Contracts)
1 - 5 Picks: 2.5 Million per season max.
6 - 10 Picks: 2.25 Million per season max.
11 - 20 Picks: 2 Million per season max.
21 - 32 Picks: 1.75 Million per season max.

Round Three: (3 Year Contracts)
1 - 5 Picks: 1.5 Million per season max.
6 - 10 Picks: 1.4 Million per season max.
11 - 20 Picks: 1.3 Million per season max.
21 - 32 Picks: 1.2 Million per season max.

Round Four - Seven: (3 Year Contracts)
1 Million Max Per Season. Depends on the player, agent, usually specs.

Right now the overall pick is looking at winning the lottery:woot:. Just think about how many mistakes are picked there at #1:foundout:. Just think about paying a bust 33+ Million in guaranteed money.:boohoo:

The money they save in rookie contracts should be spent on Vets, Retired Players, Charity Function Events, KEEPING TICKET PRICES DOWN & then the rest for normal marketing expenses.

Will this happen...hell no. Not the cut that I want. They will cut it back after this season. The guarantee amount will take a huge cut, but the contract will be similar in total value based on performance.

I think the NCAA would love the new adjustments and hate them at the same time. Some players will leave early to get their rookie contracts out of the way. Some will stay longer and get the degree just encase their football career is nothing more than a bleep. Hell most get cars, cash, etc... while still in school. I think the NCAA should max out at 100K for players in college. NCAA football is about WINS not DEGREES for the most part. If you are a star athlete they do not want you studying 10 hrs a day. But yet they do not pay these POOR kids for the most part any money while the big U's get MILLIONS each season to broadcast their games and sell their products to fans. Sounds like a bunch of BS TO ME!!!

Either way the game is coming into some rough times. The owners are greedy, the players are greedy and the fans have to put up with it. Even though we are TRULY the only reason they have the funds. Who cares if Jerry Rice scores a TD if nobody is watching or reporting it. Without the fans the 1 BILLION DOLLAR price tag for this YEARS MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL would be about 100K. WE ARE THE REASON THEY GET PAID $$$.

We need a FAN UNION more than a PLAYERS UNION or OWNERS GROUP.

found another intersting thing

http://www.nflpa.org/cba/cba_pdf/Appendix_O_Salary_Cap_Calculation_Example.pdf

shows how the cap works, and the players get 61,68% minus a 20million deduction from teams... I believe it's a very fair deal, and if they calculate it the same way this year, the NFLPA will probably be glad because the salary cap will without a doubt raise. If they want to change the percentage of the revenues, then it is another story and you might make the case of "crybabies"... but even above 70% I'd say it's a fair deal, because in reality, the NFL is not like any other market, there is no real threat to crash economically, the NFL will live for a long long long time and it is a steadily increasing company ... so the financial risks for investors are so low, a 30% profit is easy money, real easy money

One thing to remember, the fact that these "overpaid crybabies" sacrifice the ability to walk again, or pick up a quarter from the floor. Yes they chose to do this for a living etc. but just a quick question:

What is walking worth to you?............... now ask someone who can't.

These guys will face adversities we will never see or feel....all the while someone who has never had to make that sacrifice will say "he sucks". Hopefully Mr. Armchair jock doesn't spill his beer, or worse get a hangnail.

The fans only focus on the few superstars they know...........how many could name th entire roster w/o looking. Any takers? The majority of the strikes in pro sports wasn't done on behalf of the superstars. Why would they need to, they have the connections, money and fame to get things done w/o a strike. Think about when Emmitt Smith held out, who didn't know about that.......now ask anyone if on the same day the long snapper got cut. Mostly these strikes are for the guys we never hear of or refer to TC fodder. There are many more of the "nobodies" than superstars.

What?

Dont even begin to patranize the Soldiers, policeman, Firemen that risk, not being able to walk but being able to take their next breath..for pennies on the dollar what these Crybabies are making....and the Soldires, Policeman Firemen etc are doing it to prolong YOUR life...sorry but your arguement holds absolutely ZERO with me....

You know heres an FYI for you.

"I look forward to the day when the Air Force has to hold a bake sale"

The teachers are only responsible for the educating the people who design the 60,000 seat stadiums you're sitting in, amongst other things. Why do they need a pay raise,..........if your age is correct then what I say is not to be condescending - you might be in the jacuzzi part of the conversation when everyone else is in the deep end of the pool.

Back
Top Bottom