Merged: Upshaw dares owners to opt out / NFL Strike | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Upshaw dares owners to opt out / NFL Strike

Not flaming you...

But I work for someone worth about 250 Million plus... He makes about 3-5 million dollars a month. I work with about 400+ other people. We all make good money and know that he pays more than anybody else in town.

The point is...

The owner is the owner...
The help is the help...

You figure out who should be making the money...

I think it is just like any other company in the world. If you own it...you set the pay for your workers. If they don't like it...they have a choice to make. They can stay or they can go elsewhere...

But I do not think that 90% of the players could make 100K a year at another job.

I side with the owners. They are the ones that have MILLIONS invested each MONTH in the game. But we the FANS are the ones that lose if there is a strike.

I think rookie contracts should look something like this. Oh yeah the guarantee money...CYA. Should only amount up to 15% of their total contract value.

Round One: (4 Year Contracts)
1 - 5 Picks: 5 Million per season max.
6 - 10 Picks: 4.5 Million per season max.
11 - 20 Picks: 4 Million per season max.
21 - 32 Picks: 3.5 Million per season max.

Round Two: (3 Year Contracts)
1 - 5 Picks: 2.5 Million per season max.
6 - 10 Picks: 2.25 Million per season max.
11 - 20 Picks: 2 Million per season max.
21 - 32 Picks: 1.75 Million per season max.

Round Three: (3 Year Contracts)
1 - 5 Picks: 1.5 Million per season max.
6 - 10 Picks: 1.4 Million per season max.
11 - 20 Picks: 1.3 Million per season max.
21 - 32 Picks: 1.2 Million per season max.

Round Four - Seven: (3 Year Contracts)
1 Million Max Per Season. Depends on the player, agent, usually specs.

Right now the overall pick is looking at winning the lottery:woot:. Just think about how many mistakes are picked there at #1:foundout:. Just think about paying a bust 33+ Million in guaranteed money.:boohoo:

The money they save in rookie contracts should be spent on Vets, Retired Players, Charity Function Events, KEEPING TICKET PRICES DOWN & then the rest for normal marketing expenses.

Will this happen...hell no. Not the cut that I want. They will cut it back after this season. The guarantee amount will take a huge cut, but the contract will be similar in total value based on performance.

I think the NCAA would love the new adjustments and hate them at the same time. Some players will leave early to get their rookie contracts out of the way. Some will stay longer and get the degree just encase their football career is nothing more than a bleep. Hell most get cars, cash, etc... while still in school. I think the NCAA should max out at 100K for players in college. NCAA football is about WINS not DEGREES for the most part. If you are a star athlete they do not want you studying 10 hrs a day. But yet they do not pay these POOR kids for the most part any money while the big U's get MILLIONS each season to broadcast their games and sell their products to fans. Sounds like a bunch of BS TO ME!!!

Either way the game is coming into some rough times. The owners are greedy, the players are greedy and the fans have to put up with it. Even though we are TRULY the only reason they have the funds. Who cares if Jerry Rice scores a TD if nobody is watching or reporting it. Without the fans the 1 BILLION DOLLAR price tag for this YEARS MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL would be about 100K. WE ARE THE REASON THEY GET PAID $$$.

We need a FAN UNION more than a PLAYERS UNION or OWNERS GROUP.

like i said in my post just before this one, the risk NFL owners are looking at are not like the ones you're friend is exposed to

the NFL is an established company that really has no threat or signs of failure.

in contrary, they are rising up with their international series, thus the expansion of their market

EDIT:
but yeah, i agree with you on the guaranteed money to rookies... it's monstrous

What?

Dont even begin to patranize the Soldiers, policeman, Firemen that risk, not being able to walk but being able to take their next breath..for pennies on the dollar what these Crybabies are making....and the Soldires, Policeman Firemen etc are doing it to prolong YOUR life...sorry but your arguement holds absolutely ZERO with me....

How is that patronizing?

When did I ever say one was worth more than the other?

Find that and come to me..................when did I demean what those guys do who lose their lives. Please tell me when I said it.

Furthermore tell me where I said that they NEVER deserved the same.

Now, your diatribe about my perceived intentions holds no water with me. Go make off the wall insinuations about someone else, because to be honest to make the leap of what I said to where you went is a leap only few can make.

I can see it now...Miami is 8-0 heading into November, the talk of the town, and boom....strike hits.

If the nflpa decided to strike they would have to wait till the end of the season. Players are under contract for the full season the strike would be before the start of the 2009 sreason. Contracts do not expire in the middle of the season

I went to college for 17 years, make decisions that effect peoples lives and I wont make in my lifetime what most of these guys make in a year, so they are overpaid,

like i said in my post just before this one, the risk NFL owners are looking at are not like the ones you're friend is exposed to

the NFL is an established company that really has no threat or signs of failure.

in contrary, they are rising up with their international series, thus the expansion of their market

EDIT:
but yeah, i agree with you on the guaranteed money to rookies... it's monstrous

Any company can fall...ANY.

NFL Strike could do any of the following things.
* Void existing contracts from sponsors.
* Void existing contracts from TV Networks.
* Make fans look else where for entertainment. No more Jerseys, Tickets, Parking, Food, HR Entertainment Events, etc...

That is just a few of thousands of issues that the NFL has to protect from....not to mention the PATS cheating and tainting the game.:foundout:

Fans are funny...look at baseball. Yeah it is still here and still is paid way to much money. But the ratings fell hard for years and owners, players and groups lost millions for years after it. Hell if the government does not fix the economy people just want have the funds to care about football. The last 2 years more people than ever before in the US have lost their homes. I don't think they care if Chris Long gets 33 Million or 15 Million.

The MINUTE you take your CONSUMER (Fans) for granted. That is when you first start to lose your business. The NFL is no different than any other business. If the news is bad enough and hurts the consumer enough on any level. That consumer is more likely to go elsewhere for entertainment.

http://www.nflpa.org/pdfs/CBA/2006_CBA_Extension_Term_Sheet.pdf

another interesting file for people interested... very nice read in order to understand some stuff..

on a side note, i want to bring an argument to some who think they are overpaid... how many people can throw a TD pass in the NFL ? .. how many can block 300 pounds linemen ? how many can carry a football around a "box" filled with guys 60-100 pounds heavier and a hell lot stronger than you ? how many can run a sub 4,3 on the 40 ?

it's simple phenomenon of "rarity" that defines this in economics... don't mean to be direspectful, but a lot more people can become firemen, police officers, than football athletes... should they be more paid ? the nature of a human being would tend to say no, but we live in a capitalism world, an economic world, and the real answer is, well, that they earn this money ... sad truth for some but it is the world we live in..

I went to college for 17 years, make decisions that effect peoples lives and I wont make in my lifetime what most of these guys make in a year, so they are overpaid,

The MCAT is college for some..............I had the LSAT

If anyone here works for a company that makes millions...chances are you know what I mean.

If you pay my company XXX Million. There is a VERY HIGH CHANCE that my company is using part of the money on things that effect your business. I am not talking about a consumer. I am talking about sports marketing funds. They come in and go out and most of it is inflated numbers.

In other words...

When the NFL gets a new Cell Phone Exclusive Sponsor. They may get 50 Million of the next 5 years for it. But they are going to be spending time, resources, millions of dollars right back to them for services. It is done everyday...you give me money...I give you money. Yeah their is profit from both sides and a lot of it. Just not near the true value of the contact.

The ESPN 1 Billion dollar contact for this past years game... Do you think any game from any sport is worth that for 17 games? No, and neither does ESPN or the NFL. Those funds are spread out sponsors (Buy Back Deals), Ads on those networks, ads on partner networks, products, etc...

I am sure you get the point. I know the NFL is sound and stable. Just not sound or stable enough to get off track for a couple of seasons. The minute that players and owners balk each other of Millions...is when the FANS say wait I only make XXXXXX a year. That is less that the back-up makes in one game. @#$@#$ these guys...

Then it starts to fall....one day at a time.

Any company can fall...ANY.

NFL Strike could do any of the following things.
* Void existing contracts from sponsors.
* Void existing contracts from TV Networks.
* Make fans look else where for entertainment. No more Jerseys, Tickets, Parking, Food, HR Entertainment Events, etc...

That is just a few of thousands of issues that the NFL has to protect from....not to mention the PATS cheating and tainting the game.:foundout:

Fans are funny...look at baseball. Yeah it is still here and still is paid way to much money. But the ratings fell hard for years and owners, players and groups lost millions for years after it. Hell if the government does not fix the economy people just want have the funds to care about football. The last 2 years more people than ever before in the US have lost their homes. I don't think they care if Chris Long gets 33 Million or 15 Million.

The MINUTE you take your CONSUMER (Fans) for granted. That is when you first start to lose your business. The NFL is no different than any other business. If the news is bad enough and hurts the consumer enough on any level. That consumer is more likely to go elsewhere for entertainment.

the consumer is obviously the most important one, but what do you think will happen with a strike? or talks of a strike ? you know what will happen, the players will want more, the owners won't hand it off their pockets, so they'll raise ticket and merchandise prices. They'll put more games on NFL network and raise the price on broadcasting rights to FOX, NBC, ABC and CBS ... those will only piss off the consumers that, like you mentioned, need to be satisfied, like in every market.

If there is strike, the owners should hand the players a little more money FROM THEIR POCKET, because it will make both, their employees and their consumers, much more happy. The other thing is that the company won't be exposed to risks that you mentionned that would occur if a strike happened .... that's my logical reasoning and I believe the owner know this, but they are keeping their mouth shut just to make more money.

believe me, when the time comes for a strike, the owners will open the checkbook

How is that patronizing?

When did I ever say one was worth more than the other?

Find that and come to me..................when did I demean what those guys do who lose their lives. Please tell me when I said it.

Furthermore tell me where I said that they NEVER deserved the same.

Now, your diatribe about my perceived intentions holds no water with me. Go make off the wall insinuations about someone else, because to be honest to make the leap of what I said to where you went is a leap only few can make.

Without a doubt, you went on a tirade stating that because these athletes risk not being able to walk, the deserve millions of dollars. Do you not hold the same for those that make 10% of that and risk much more? And, do you see them going on strike for more money?

I'm just gonna go a philosophical train here for moment. If the world as I know it includes football, and then it disappears, then the answer to your question is no. Simply b/c what I know has changed and therefore will never be the same from that point forward. But, if you mean will my life be worse off w/o football etc. then yes it will.

Spot on, conuficus. Who would've thought a master of zen would be so wise? :lol:

Football is by far the most important thing for me in terms of entertainment. If you took away football, I'd have so much more free time, I have no idea what I would do with myself.

One thing to remember, the fact that these "overpaid crybabies" sacrifice the ability to walk again, or pick up a quarter from the floor. Yes they chose to do this for a living etc. but just a quick question:

What is walking worth to you?............... now ask someone who can't.

These guys will face adversities we will never see or feel....all the while someone who has never had to make that sacrifice will say "he sucks". Hopefully Mr. Armchair jock doesn't spill his beer, or worse get a hangnail.

The fans only focus on the few superstars they know...........how many could name th entire roster w/o looking. Any takers? The majority of the strikes in pro sports wasn't done on behalf of the superstars. Why would they need to, they have the connections, money and fame to get things done w/o a strike. Think about when Emmitt Smith held out, who didn't know about that.......now ask anyone if on the same day the long snapper got cut. Mostly these strikes are for the guys we never hear of or refer to TC fodder. There are many more of the "nobodies" than superstars.

Well right now the roster is jumbled bit I could do the '05, '06 and '07 opening day rosters. :D

Spot on, conuficus. Who would've thought a master of zen would be so wise? :lol:

Football is by far the most important thing for me in terms of entertainment. If you took away football, I'd have so much more free time, I have no idea what I would do with myself.

And if we took away Firemen, Policemen, Teachers and Soldiers? Your life wouldnt be affected at all?

Easy to deflect by answering the easy question :up:

And if we took away Firemen, Policemen, Teachers and Soldiers? Your life wouldnt be affected at all?

Easy to deflect by answering the easy question :up:

I'm not trying to circumvent the question, I'm just saying taking away football would GREATLY impact my life.

As would taking away the professions you've listed.

guys all of us have jobs that are important, football on sunday is a way of relaxing from our routine, i love the phins as much as anybody else and count the days, weeks, hours until training camp again, but i think all of us would find something else to do if this thing gets out of control, the thing is we might like the new things we are doing and stop caring about football, it happen in baseball for me, i barely watch or read about it anymore

Back
Top Bottom