Merged: Winston Justice | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Winston Justice

D-Rock said:
OT Winston Justice, I saw it about 10 mins ago when I was watching Sportscenter.... I was wondering, is he any good..... I mean potential wise and stuff :dolphins: :dolphins:

Justice is a very good OT, but he has some history...I can't remember if it was grades or injuries or off-field stuff, but there was a story on him during the lead-up to the USC/Texas game. At any rate, Kiper has Cutler, Young and Leinart going before we pick. I couldn't argue with an OT...but I really feel that he'd go D if a QB wasn't available in the first round. Probably S, CB or LB. We may be ok at CB, pending Poole and Mitchell's return. We have a hole a safety, pending what is done with Jones and Schulters. And at LB, we have an aging ZT and Seau will be gone. Spraghan was pretty good, but not a building block...So, it really will depend on what happens in FA as to which way we go...

I wouldn't be upset with Justice, but that is not really Saban's philosphy...

LarryFinFan said:
Justice is a very good OT, but he has some history...I can't remember if it was grades or injuries or off-field stuff, but there was a story on him during the lead-up to the USC/Texas game. At any rate, Kiper has Cutler, Young and Leinart going before we pick. I couldn't argue with an OT...but I really feel that he'd go D if a QB wasn't available in the first round. Probably S, CB or LB. We may be ok at CB, pending Poole and Mitchell's return. We have a hole a safety, pending what is done with Jones and Schulters. And at LB, we have an aging ZT and Seau will be gone. Spraghan was pretty good, but not a building block...So, it really will depend on what happens in FA as to which way we go...

I wouldn't be upset with Justice, but that is not really Saban's philosphy...

Justice was suspended from school and missed all of 2004 after pulling a fake gun on a student. There may have been more to it than that. I don't know the full details.

Otherwise, he would have turned pro after last season, without a doubt. People from USC say he's been itching to turn pro almost from his first day on campus.

One thing that doesn't thrill me: a guy on the USC message boards says he knew Justice in grade school and he was a clumsy dork with big glasses who everyone picked on. I know most won't care about that, but I always prefer longterm athletic dominance, the kid who was picked first on every team all his life.

Awsi Dooger said:
Justice was suspended from school and missed all of 2004 after pulling a fake gun on a student. There may have been more to it than that. I don't know the full details.

Otherwise, he would have turned pro after last season, without a doubt. People prom USC say he's been itching to turn pro almost from his first day on campus.

One thing that doesn't thrill me: a guy on the USC message boards says he knew Justice in grade school and he was a clumsy dork with big glasses who everyone picked on. I know most won't care about that, but I always prefer longterm athletic dominance, the kid who was picked first on every team all his life.
That can work both ways too. He could view everyone on the field as the guy that was picking on him in grade school which in turn makes could make him a more frerocious blocker through his aggression and anger. Its also coming from a message board so Id take it with a big heaping of salt

Boik14 said:
That can work both ways too. He could view everyone on the field as the guy that was picking on him in grade school which in turn makes could make him a more frerocious blocker through his aggression and anger. Its also coming from a message board so Id take it with a big heaping of salt

I agree about taking it with a grain of salt...but if it's true about him having been picked on then we can view the gun incident as perhaps a sign that the guy may be too angry which can be bad. very bad especially if he doesn't learn how to control it. Flag this guy with some caution.

KuchaMucha said:
I agree about taking it with a grain of salt...but if it's true about him having been picked on then we can view the gun incident as perhaps a sign that the guy may be too angry which can be bad. very bad especially if he doesn't learn how to control it. Flag this guy with some caution.
Absolutely the anger has to be managed. It has to be directed towards the opposition for it to be used as a tool that can work for you and not against you. But just like Manny Wright grew up real fast, and just like RW got his message, I think Saban may have the best gift a coach can have and thats great psychological and communication skills that allow him to truly understand how to get through to players. Im not advocating drafting Justice (though I wouldnt be terribly heartbroken if we did even though I have my eyes on a few other players) but its not really fair to label the guy a little wuss cause of something that happened 10 years ago.

USC's LT: Winston Justice

Justice could be a wise pick for us. This guy would fill a huge void at LT and give us security there for years. I think I'd rather get a great Olineman and then snag a young QB in the later rounds.

Justice is actually a RT. Sam Baker, a sophomore, is USC's LT. Justice is probably athletic enough to play LT but I expect him to stay at RT. The aspect of Leinart being lefthanded so Justice was covering his blind side is somewhat overblown. College teams don't make as many personnel adjustments in that regard so Baker was almost always blocking the premier pass rusher, not Justice.

That's because RE's are the opposing teams premier pass rushers, but the responsibility put on Justice was still big and he definitely has the feet to play LT.
He'll definitely be projected as LT but as you said could stay at RT depending on what team drafts him.
If we get him I would expect us to move him to LT and let Houck teach him the nuances of the position.
I personally don't think that there is much value for us picking an O-lineman in the first 2 rounds, I think Houck can find players that fit his system in the later rounds.

Awsi Dooger said:
Justice is actually a RT. Sam Baker, a sophomore, is USC's LT. Justice is probably athletic enough to play LT but I expect him to stay at RT. The aspect of Leinart being lefthanded so Justice was covering his blind side is somewhat overblown. College teams don't make as many personnel adjustments in that regard so Baker was almost always blocking the premier pass rusher, not Justice.

He was a RT because Leinart was a lefty.....if he was a righty, Justice would have played LT. He had the most important responsibilty on the OL, protect the QB's blind side from the far outside position.

The aspect of Leinart being lefthanded so Justice was covering his blind side is somewhat overblown. College teams don't make as many personnel adjustments in that regard so Baker was almost always blocking the premier pass rusher, not Justice.

It's not as much a matter of the "best pass rusher" as it is "blind side". It was the way the offense was designed, not as much the way the defenses adjusted.

I am not an expert, but I expect Justice to eventually play LT in the NFL.

You guys need to do less guessing. If that stuff has been passed around here as gospel, then evict it because it's not accurate.

Winston Justice was the starting RT in his freshman season of 2002, in fact starting 12 games. He was the first freshman to start for USC in the OL since '96. The QB in 2002 was the very right handed Carson Palmer.

In 2003 USC left Justice at RT, but hardly because Leinart was a lefty and they wanted to protect his blind side. As a USC alum I never heard any speculation about moving Justice to LT. He did great as a freshman at RT so they merely kept him there. It wasn't even a given lefty Leinart would emerge as the starter. Matt Cassel was also in the picture and he's a righty.

When Justice missed all of 2004, Sam Baker entered the lineup at LT after being switched from guard early that fall. He was USC's best lineman in 2004. So if Pete Carroll were obsessed with protecting Leinart's blind side, he might have moved Sam Baker to RT in 2005 since Justice was less of a known quantity after missing an entire year. But Carroll left Baker at LT, just as he had done with Justice in 2003. Why tinker when it ain't broke? USC's OL from tackle to tackle was outstanding, the best in the country.

In 2003 USC left Justice at RT, but hardly because Leinart was a lefty and they wanted to protect his blind side. As a USC alum I never heard any speculation about moving Justice to LT. He did great as a freshman at RT so they merely kept him there.

There was the speculation & likelihood of moving Justice to the left side of the line after the 03 season when Jacob Rogers graduated, but the opportunity never presented itself because he got suspended for the pellet gun issue. When he finally came back this past spring Sam Baker was entrenched as the starting LT. There was also a rumor earlier this month that if Justice returned he would be moved to LT & given a push to win the Outland Trophy.

i think that our oline coach is good enough that he can find good talent that slipps through the cracks like alibi

USC's OL from tackle to tackle was outstanding, the best in the country.

if that's the case then I don't see why it be a stretch to get an OL on that level in the 1st round.

SammySmif said:
if that's the case then I don't see why it be a stretch to get an OL on that level in the 1st round.

I wouldn't mind us drafting him...but it may spell the end of Vernon Carey since both play the same position...unless they switch Carey to RG...still, it would raise my level of frustration with Speilman all the greater since he gave up two draft picks to get him. :fire:

Back
Top Bottom