MERGED4x: Virus alert/Trojans/Ads | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED4x: Virus alert/Trojans/Ads

Point taken. Regardless, I think that both applications (Adblock Plus & NoScript) make a great team...

They do! I added Adblock after reading a few people praise it lol. And for all you guys still using I.E. Do yourself a favor and get rid of it! You make the switch and I can even help you out with a Dolphin theme =)

Anyone that is still using IE is way behind the times.

I don't knock people that like IE. They just need to be prepared to deal with the consequences if they decide that it's going to be their primary browser. If a person is cautious, they will be fine most of the time.

I never see adds or popups, but I use firefox with adblock plus (free), and I don't worry about virus's or virus protection because I use Ubuntu Linux (free).

It's true that there are not a lot of virus threats in the wild for people that use Nix systems. That does not mean that there aren't any threats at all. Ubuntu is the primary OS on my home network but I still use a certain amount of caution when I surf the web. If someone has the right skills, Ubuntu can be exploited just like any other operating system.

I would laugh if a website pretending to be my virus scanner popped up, cause I don't have a virus scanner.

This is what my desktop looks like.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk14/bigcitycat/Screenshotb.png

I don't know of any virus/spyware protection made for Nix boxes that function the same as their Windows counterparts. Avast has a product and I know that AVG also did at one time. I'm not sure that they still do. As for me, I just use ClamAV/ClamTK.

Neither of the above products offer real-time scanning as far as I know. It's all on demand. While having an anti-virus application is not as much of a requirement as it is for a Windows machine, I find it to be useful for my needs.

I have a couple of NAS servers that are accessed by both my Windows and my Nix computers. You would not believe how many bugs I have caught on them after downloading something then scanning from Linux or PC-BSD/FreeBSD. I have also used Clam to scan Windows partitions that are known to be infected with good results. That is really helpful as if the box is already bugged, sometimes the security that is installed on the Windows side of that machine might not be as effective in detecting & removing the threat.

As far as I am aware, NoScript does not block ads. You would need to install both NoScript and Adblock Plus to get the best benefit.
I have never head of NoScript or Adblock Plus before. Thank god I opened this thread up!

I have never head of NoScript or Adblock Plus before. Thank god I opened this thread up!

Both of them are good stuff! IMO, NoScript has more of a learning curve but to me it's worth taking the time to get to know it. With Adblock Plus, it just a matter of subscribing to the filter that best meets your needs (EasyList USA if you are in the states).

Funny story, my wife and kids took a trip recently. While they were at one of relative's residence, my youngest child wanted to use their PC. My relative decided that it was alright for her to do so and she proceeded to surf the web like she normally does at home.

Her web surfing usually involves visiting various sites that allow you to play games online (Webkinz, Disney, Nickelodeon and few others that are not as well known). Well, she was on one of the lesser known sites and my relative happened to check to see what she was doing. After doing so he immediately called my wife to ask her why we let her use that particular site. It seems that a lot of the advertising that was being displayed was not necessarily appropriate for kids.

My relative is strictly a Windows person and basically does not use any other browser than the IE. My wife explained to him that our child didn't see those ads when she was on the PC at home and it confused the heck out of him! "How is your husband blocking those ads?", he asked.

Unfortunately, no one could tell me the identity of the site once they returned from their trip. I was already monitoring my child's usage but have since begun to watch her even closer to see what sites she visits. By doing so I have identified and blocked at least two after testing them in IE that looked like sites that could be used to launch attacks at unsuspecting visitors. More than likely, the ads were what was being used to initiate the attacks. I would have never known if the incident had not occurred when they were away due to Adblock Plus.

I now have logs created that let me know every site that is visited from my network and proactively test them in IE & FF as time permits. If one of them looks suspicious, I block it. Sometimes it feels like I leave my job and come home to a second job of maintaining my home network. The task is much easier than it used to be as quite a bit of my chores (backups, virus scans, etc.) are now automated. They are predetermined by the schedule that is configured on that PC. It's worth it though. I rarely run into any problems and when I do, it's usually pretty easy for me to recover from them.....

I can't read threads BC of ads

Ok, so this has been going on for a week or so now but ever since the virus alert and trojan thread was started everytime I open a thread the OP thread is split by a stupid flash ad. So to read anything on the forum I have to look down past the OP and see if it was quoted so I can actually read it. It's more than annoying and this website is my homepage not only bc the Dolphins are my team but because I love the comedy, parody, and even the annoying Jets and Bills fans talking out of their ***. I used windows XP if that helps anything and I use Firefox so please help me out.

Whats with the viruses?

About 4 times today, when I clicked on a post, I was redirected to some wierd sites that look like the type that host virus's.. Anyone else have this issue... admin's what's going on with finheaven the past 3 months? I think you guys need to screen who you let advertise on this site

So?

I guess since my thread was deleted, the mods and admins are actually doing something regarding my advise?

i have no clue what you are talking about.

unfortunately, due to all the advertisements, a few regulars on here have gotten viruses on finheaven.. About five minutes ago I opened up a thread and was redirected to some wierd site for the 4th time today... I was just curious as to what the admins were going to do to fix this issue as i have gotten 2 bad viruses from the site in 3 months. it sucks because It's starting to become a liability to come on finheaven

they probably merged it with the ongoing virus thread in another forum.

Check the site suggestions forums, theres a big thread about it there. Why these ads are still up on the site, I have no idea.

Back
Top Bottom