MERGEDX2: Looking ahead to 2009 Free Agents. Will Fins find help here? I think so. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGEDX2: Looking ahead to 2009 Free Agents. Will Fins find help here? I think so.

im curious to see who you think we overpaid for. wilford im sure will come up, but for his production level prior to joining our squad, it imo was a modest deal.

I think we defintaely overpaid for a backup linebacker in Torbor. I think we definately overpaid for Wilford, guys of similar production were available much cheaper like Bryant Johnson. I think we overpaid for Smiley coming off of injury and we overpaid for Starks who up to that point had been less than stellar. Starks is actually looking like he may be worth it and Smiley is playing well also but Im talking thier value at the time.

I think we defintaely overpaid for a backup linebacker in Torbor. I think we definately overpaid for Wilford, guys of similar production were available much cheaper like Bryant Johnson. I think we overpaid for Smiley coming off of injury and we overpaid for Starks who up to that point had been less than stellar. Starks is actually looking like he may be worth it and Smiley is playing well also but Im talking thier value at the time.

Torbor was brought in to compete for a starting job, he wasn't initially just a back up. Looking how Smiley has been playing, I think we can agree we did not overpay for him. Maybe, just maybe, our FO knows more than you about how to evaluate talent and saw this coming when they signed Smiley, don't you think? As far as Wilford, I'm not getting into this again with you. You expect the FO to be Ms. Cleo and see the future, so you're beyond help. I think they did a pretty good job this offseason......

Torbor was brought in to compete for a starting job, he wasn't initially just a back up. Looking how Smiley has been playing, I think we can agree we did not overpay for him. Maybe, just maybe, our FO knows more than you about how to evaluate talent and saw this coming when they signed Smiley, don't you think? As far as Wilford, I'm not getting into this again with you. You expect the FO to be Ms. Cleo and see the future, so you're beyond help. I think they did a pretty good job this offseason......

So when the front office is right they know more than anybody but when they are wrong it just was not the right crystal ball. I am saying there were better options than ovepaying for a 29 year old receiver that was so highly thought of in jville that they paid big money to Jerry Porter. Also back to Torbor if he was brought in to compete and he did not win the job then he is quite overpaid as a backup its that simple. I say we overpaid for Smiley because i very much doubt that any other team gives him that big of a contract coming off of injury, that he is playing well is one thing. So u want to judge Smiley's contract by results but ignore the results of Wilford and Torbor.

After carfully thinking about the 2009 F/A class... I have come up with a list of 4 names worth mentioning. 1) Chris Canty (DE) Dallas Cowboys - there is an obvious connection to the Parcells regime... Canty is a younger/stronger replacement for Vonnie Holliday!!! Holliday to this point while an experienced veteran... hasn't produced like he did the season before he signed his 20 million $$$ deal... Canty is an experienced DE in the BP defensive system... his addition will provide an excellent trio of young DE's to rotate.. Canty, Merling and Langford will give miami a very stout group of DE's against the run... while rotating them will keep them fresh... 2) Chris Gamble (CB) Carolina Panthers - plain and simple.. Gamble is exactly the type of CB this team needs... Gamble will provide miami with a #1 CB type opposite either Will Allen or Jason Allen!!! Gambles addition will allow Will Allen to move to the slot on obvious passing downs and area he excelled at under saban!!! needless to say his presence makes maimi a formidable foe... able to line up 3 solid CB's at any given time... 3) Joe Berger (OL) Dallas Cowboys - the former Dolphin comes back to provide solid depth along the interior line... when here in miami Berger was pushing for a starting spot... his versatility allows him to play Guard and Center... and provides another proven young veteran to pinch in in an emergancy... 4) Lavernous Coles (WR) New York Jets - Coles as a connection to miami in Pennington... Coles was arguable Pennington's best friend and obvious favorite target while in NY!!! Coles addition will give miami a veteran to help the young group already here.. while also giving miami another solid WR to add to it's passing packages... Coles also brings leadership to the WR corps as well as the overall offense... his addition IMO will pay BIG dividends for the offense...

After carfully thinking about the 2009 F/A class... I have come up with a list of 4 names worth mentioning. 1) Chris Canty (DE) Dallas Cowboys - there is an obvious connection to the Parcells regime... Canty is a younger/stronger replacement for Vonnie Holliday!!! Holliday to this point while an experienced veteran... hasn't produced like he did the season before he signed his 20 million $$$ deal... Canty is an experienced DE in the BP defensive system... his addition will provide an excellent trio of young DE's to rotate.. Canty, Merling and Langford will give miami a very stout group of DE's against the run... while rotating them will keep them fresh... 2) Chris Gamble (CB) Carolina Panthers - plain and simple.. Gamble is exactly the type of CB this team needs... Gamble will provide miami with a #1 CB type opposite either Will Allen or Jason Allen!!! Gambles addition will allow Will Allen to move to the slot on obvious passing downs and area he excelled at under saban!!! needless to say his presence makes maimi a formidable foe... able to line up 3 solid CB's at any given time... 3) Joe Berger (OL) Dallas Cowboys - the former Dolphin comes back to provide solid depth along the interior line... when here in miami Berger was pushing for a starting spot... his versatility allows him to play Guard and Center... and provides another proven young veteran to pinch in in an emergancy... 4) Lavernous Coles (WR) New York Jets - Coles as a connection to miami in Pennington... Coles was arguable Pennington's best friend and obvious favorite target while in NY!!! Coles addition will give miami a veteran to help the young group already here.. while also giving miami another solid WR to add to it's passing packages... Coles also brings leadership to the WR corps as well as the overall offense... his addition IMO will pay BIG dividends for the offense...

Dont understand paying good money to canty when we have Merling, Starks, Langford and Wright as well as Dotson. Leave Canty where he is.

Dont understand paying good money to canty when we have Merling, Starks, Langford and Wright as well as Dotson. Leave Canty where he is.

Can't Merling play OLB? If so, i think he can drop some weight in the offseason, and we can plug him in that position.

Can't Merling play OLB? If so, i think he can drop some weight in the offseason, and we can plug him in that position.

I am not going to judge if anyone can play linebacker since matt Roth made the switch but I would rather draft an olb than covert someone else.

I am not going to judge if anyone can play linebacker since matt Roth made the switch but I would rather draft an olb than covert someone else.

I know. But i remember reading somewhere that Merling has terrific speed for a man his size. I think he can do it.

naw merling is a RDE. he'll man that next year after vonnie gets cut most likely due to salary.

Dotson I believe will take his spot and evne solai can man one of the ends as a sitautional back up kind of like Ngata does. Canty will be a nice pick up not sure if they will though. We need MAJOR LB help b/c if it wanst for porter we have ZERO pass rush on thsi team or pressure. Roth is useless in about 6 of the 8 games in pass rushing sorry to say. He'll be a good back up until his contcat is over. I can see a guy like Sintim being drafted to replace him.

Back
Top Bottom