Merling hurt/might miss 2010? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merling hurt/might miss 2010?

fair enough...we'll see...but if merling is gone thats one more guy on the depth chart that can't help us...and a season ending injury before camp even kicked off

Officially done for the day, where is everyone who hated the Odrick pick now? Just asking. Spears could be a possibility, but I believe Miami would rather go with Douglas who Nolan is familiar with and will not cost them a pick.

is it possible we become a 4-3?

DT Starks McDaniel
DT Langford Soliai
LE Odrick Anderson
RE Wake Moses

MLB Dansby Spitler
LOLB Crowder McCoy
ROLB Dobbins Koa Misi

The one positive about Miami's current 3-4 is that it slips to a 4-3 pretty easily.

The 3-4 version would be:

SOLB: Koa Misi
LDE: Kendall Langford
SILB: Channing Crowder
NT: Randy Starks
WILB: Karlos Dansby
RDE: Jared Odrick
ROLB: Cameron Wake

The 4-3 Under version would be:

SLB: Koa Misi
LDE: Kendall Langford
MLB: Channing Crowder
LDT: Randy Starks
WLB: Karlos Dansby
RDT: Jared Odrick
RDE: Cameron Wake

Notice how similar it is.

Officially done for the day, where is everyone who hated the Odrick pick now? Just asking. Spears could be a possibility, but I believe Miami would rather go with Douglas who Nolan is familiar with and will not cost them a pick.
Hey, do you really see us going out and getting another DE? If so would you expect him to be starting caliber or a backup for Odrick?

I'm probably somewhat more alarmed than most because, as I've stated over and over, I felt that of all the players who got significant snaps on the entire team (with the possible exception of Gibril Wilson) McDaniels was the worst player I saw. The guy plays too tall, gets blown off the ball consistently and generates no pass rush. He is a good athlete overall, and plays with a high motor to chase laterally and down the field. But as a 3-4 DE, I really was appalled with his play.

I haven't seen enough of Baker and Dotson to really have an opinion on either, but I would have to hope they're better than McDaniels. Otherwise, ouch.

Hey, do you really see us going out and getting another DE? If so would you expect him to be starting caliber or a backup for Odrick?

This news has not been confirmed by no other outlet, but PFT. I am sure the local guys are contacting Merling's agent and we must await confirmation before jumping to conclussions. The Fins are not gonna do nothing about the position if Merling is really injured, my guess is they will look for a veteran via FA and I think MArques Douglas would be a real good addition.

I don't see Miami trading for anyone, even though it would not surprise me to hear MArcus Spears name come up cause he has been rumored to be on the block.

Douglass makes alot of since because Nolan knows him..but there is a reason he is not signed..also he is up there in age...

Spears makes sense but really I am not that familar with him besides he plays with Dallas and he was pretty much out played by guys with less talent..

Doulgas had pretty good production last year...Spears not so much..

Plus as Finattic mentioned we would have to give up a pick...doubt it would be very high.

KARMA.

Anyway, it def hurts us depth wise but we couldn't count on Merling anyway. Aside from the Pick 6 on Favre 2 seasons ago, and a decent game against Atlanta in week 1 last year, this guy has been nonexistant eafter being the 32nd pick.

Honestly, I don't think this means a lot. The FO was disappointted with Merling anyway, I would not have been shocked if they cut him or tried to trade him for a bag of practice balls. As someone else pointed out, we drafted Odrick for a reason. This gives Baker more reps, it gives Dotson more reps (and a chance to step up for both). Futher, I still don't know how true it is. Nobody else is reporting it so far. Just PFT.

Truthfully, at least 3 of the 7 players that are probably set to man the Dolphins' front seven are now more suited for a 4-3 Under than a 3-4, whereas I believe only 1 of the 7 players in the current front seven are more suited for the 3-4. The rest of the players seem like they could play either, and I know at least two of the primary backups at LB are definitely more suited for the 4-3 than the 3-4.

Cameron Wake would make a great 4-3 RDE
Jared Odrick would make a great 4-3 RDT
Randy Starks would make a great 4-3 LDT
Kendall Langford could probably play 4-3 LDE

Koa Misi and A.J. Edds could compete at 4-3 SLB
Channing Crowder and Tim Dobbins could compete at 4-3 MLB (and I think Dobbins might be a better true 4-3 MLB than 4-3 SILB)
Karlos Dansby could and has in the past made a great 4-3 WLB

At some point you have to look at the players and fit the defense to the players. Merling was probably always best suited to be a 4-3 LDE, anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom