Merling hurt/might miss 2010? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merling hurt/might miss 2010?

man i just found out one of the guys i grew up with was killed in a motorcycle accident this morning so i'm a bit lost for words right now...kendall langford can play 4-3 end...ok... works for me

Hey may best wishes, go take a break.

It appears according to the rosters that the 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998 and 1999 defenses of Nolan's were 4-3. They ranked #8, #16, #10, #8, #28 and #24. His 3-4 defenses over the years ranked #1, #13, #19, #6, #6, #30, #32, #20, #23 and #12.

His defenses averaged #15.6 in the 4-3 and #16.2 in the 3-4.

If you insist on tossing out some of those 49ers years because of a bad stretch or bad players or whatever, I'd insist on tossing out some of those Washington years for the same reason. Then you're left with his 4-3's ranking an average of #10.5 and his 3-4's ranking an average of 9.5. Not really a whole lot of difference there, is there?

Yeah, I did a whole bunch of research on Mike Nolan in the run up to the draft, and I had a really hard time figuring out which years were 4-3 and which ones were 3-4. I mainly used pro-football-reference.com and statistics on whether guys were listed as dt's or nt's and their games played and what terminology they were giving to the linebackers and games played.

I wish I had saved it all somewhere on my hard file. I think I included it in the post itself but the search function on those older posts doesn't exist anymore. Anyhow, from what I remember I thought the Giants had only switched to a 4-3 his last year there (this helped Michael Strahan, among other things, who came out of college at like 255 pounds and was played as a linebacker) and then he had coached it all of (or at least his last two) his years with Washington in a 4-3.

I think one of his years with the 49ers they actually switched from a 3-4 to a 4-3 at midseason because of injury. Can't remember to whom, though.

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

man i just found out one of the guys i grew up with was killed in a motorcycle accident this morning so i'm a bit lost for words right now...kendall langford can play 4-3 end...ok... works for me

Really sorry to hear that hoos.

Well I looked it up on Pro Football Reference and according to them the Giants were only playing a 3-4 in Nolan's first year there. I'm not sure about the San Francisco switcharoo, I thought they were 3-4 the whole time.

Well I looked it up on Pro Football Reference and according to them the Giants were only playing a 3-4 in Nolan's first year there. I'm not sure about the San Francisco switcharoo, I thought they were 3-4 the whole time.

Yeah, you're right. I just checked again. I got myself totally twisted around there somehow.

karma 1 Phillip Merling 0 Great Comment. But I'm not so sure this is completely true. No other confirmed sources, and no details whatsoever on extent of injury. I'll be skeptical till another source comes out. May have to throw Odrick into the fire earlier than expected.

is it realistic to think this regime would switch to a 4-3? im actually kinda tired of how popular the 3-4 has become, especially when I see teams switch to it that dont have anywhere near the right players for it ( washington )

I just took a glance at another site which carries a lot of news sources. PFT had this on Thursday afternoon; and today, the MIAMI HERALD is saying that MERLING's agent confirmed that it was an Achilles tear, and he's gone for the season.

Bring on Adewale!!!! Hell Yeah baby. JT we told you that you should have waited.

Back
Top Bottom