Metrics On Tua From Barry Jackson | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Metrics On Tua From Barry Jackson

You can just look that stuff up.

Brees helped the Saints to a 13-0 start that year and sat out the final game. The Saints hosted thru the Playoffs.

They won the Super Bowl in Miami.
ahh yeah, fair, but doesnt really change the point, miami in perfect weather is basically like playing in a dome. i had just remembered the one time he won the SB, brees really did have a clean run of perfect playing conditions and didnt have to go through the cold outside on the road, but i stand corrected about every game being in a dome

Tua's decline in the clutch this year is troubling. I'm not sure what to attribute that to?

I think it's fair to say that Miami was dealing with more injuries on the offensive line than most teams. How many games were at least two starting offensive linemen missing due to injuries?

Yet, there were times when Tua threw low percentage passes (double covered deep etc.) when receivers were open for smaller gains.

So, it's not all on the offensive line.
Tua has the ability but has not shown he can break through drop TD passes , a line that can not pass block for 3 seconds stay healthy, and the worst playcaller in the NFL. That being said I believe his Mr nice guy not willing to hold others accountable just himself is his issue. A leader has to bring everyone around and hold them accountable. Tua is the leader not McDaniel on the Field and when McDaniel cannot get plays in on time he has to call him out on it. Enough of the dunb crap from Mc Daniel. The clutch time crap is a mirage our head coach is the one who folds up not Tua. Tua simply can not operate in the clutch with bad plays and Wr dropping balls. Look at Josh Allen this year with Shakur making tough and difficult catches. No now one on the dolphins make tough catches.

When Tyreek drops a Td, he must let him know it is unacceptable.

We need context to interpret this statistic. It might be that 83.6 is good or bad. We don't know. When we create these unique conditions, we must do it for everyone to supply context. We need to know where Tua ranks against other QBs in such moments.

The Dolphins offense and its downward trend in EPA (by quarter) has already been put out there. It's not clear exactly how this is Tua's fault exactly and what he should be doing that he isn't. It's like saying, "be more successful." We all want it but the challenge for Miami is figuring out what's causing it.

This isn't a good stat for Tua but it's also a reflection of the offense which has been broken down by numerous people across the internet. The offense rarely seemed to provide Tua with outlets/hots. Why those weren't there is a huge question. Is the offense just poorly designed? Are the wrong plays being run because Tua's pressed for time at the LOS and can't audible? Is Tua failing to read the defense appropriately?

It's fair to be disappointed but it's not clear who to be frustrated with and whether it's reasonable to expect improvement next season.

I think this sort of thing could've been traced all the way back to Alabama. We always projected him as a successful passer if the conditions were favorable. This is part of my whole "he is who we thought he was" thing.

Volumetric stats are meaningless. The only thing that matters with interceptions is the rate at which you get them (Int%).

Here's Tua by year:
View attachment 159457

Tua ranked #10 and #20 in his two years under Flores. He's now ranked #13 and #26 in his two seasons under McDaniel.

So typically a little below average in this category. Does that reflect his age and lack of experience? Unfortunately, I would say no. Herbert has always ranked above Tua and we see plenty of instances of other young QBs like Daniel Jones, Joe Burrow and Trevor Lawrence being near the top of the rankings at times. Tua really hasn't ever had a "good" year in this department.

So it begs a bigger question--is Tua just too aggressive? Yeah, probably. He takes a lot of shots downfield and often throws dangerous passes that are lucky not be picked off. I think this is part of Tua's nature and probably something he's always going to struggle with. I don't think you get the big plays to Hill and Waddle without a QB who's always looking to take those chances throwing into the secondary. In some sense he's the opposite of what we had with Tannehill, who was a QB who'd pat the ball, take sacks and at his best check it down.

It's also reasonable to point out that Drew Brees really didn't get "good" at avoiding interceptions (Int% < 2.0) until the end of his career. In his first decade, Brees had a few seasons ranking in the Top-10 in Int% but he also had many seasons in-between where he was ranked as low as 27th. He was very up and down based on the year and on average had just about the same Int%'s as Tua does now:

View attachment 159466
Thank you for saying everything I was going to say. Now I don’t have to say it.

What are you talking about? That article isn’t positive for Tua, it’s the opposite? Personally, I think that’s an interesting group of statistics. There were many categories where you could say Tua was outstanding. But, those stats when behind, in the clutch, are pretty damning quite frankly.

You Dont Get It Over Your Head GIF

LOL ... Please remind me where I have made excuses for any player ...

There was another poster (circumstances) who said something to the affect that Tua was still getting better and ... just wait and see ... I quoted it but the post didn't show up in my post ... only my response to it to which I replied ... I know right, good thing he's only 25 ... as a smartass type humor ...

Your post is irrelevant to the "conversation" ... find another to pick a fight ... :cheers: ... or comment on the thread title.
I was talking about the other guy, not you, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Tua's decline in the clutch this year is troubling. I'm not sure what to attribute that to?

I think it's fair to say that Miami was dealing with more injuries on the offensive line than most teams. How many games were at least two starting offensive linemen missing due to injuries?

Yet, there were times when Tua threw low percentage passes (double covered deep etc.) when receivers were open for smaller gains.

So, it's not all on the offensive line.

Late in the season some check downs would have helped, seemed like it just was rarely even considered

Tua has the ability but has not shown he can break through drop TD passes , a line that can not pass block for 3 seconds stay healthy, and the worst playcaller in the NFL. That being said I believe his Mr nice guy not willing to hold others accountable just himself is his issue. A leader has to bring everyone around and hold them accountable. Tua is the leader not McDaniel on the Field and when McDaniel cannot get plays in on time he has to call him out on it. Enough of the dunb crap from Mc Daniel. The clutch time crap is a mirage our head coach is the one who folds up not Tua. Tua simply can not operate in the clutch with bad plays and Wr dropping balls. Look at Josh Allen this year with Shakur making tough and difficult catches. No now one on the dolphins make tough catches.

When Tyreek drops a Td, he must let him know it is unacceptable.
Worst play caller in the NFL?

Ludicrous......

You can legitimately question some play calls situationally, but you don't have a top tier offense, by almost any metric, if you have the "worst playcaller in the NFL".

I know stats aren't everything, but they aren't meaningless either.

Get a grip on reality..........

Back
Top Bottom