Miami, bottom landing spot for coach? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami, bottom landing spot for coach?

You would think that coaching our Dolphins would be a great job. Was listening to ESPN radio and they did an entire segment on "Which coaching job would you take".
They had a bunch of different guys on, some X-HCs, some from Sports media and a GM.
No one even mentioned our team.

*Most picked Denver. As they think that team has a great culture built in and is ready to win now if you can get a QB.
*Second was Jaguars due to Lawrence, and great draft picks.
*Third was the Giants due the owners dedication and proven success (4 Superbowls).

Honestly, I was shocked that we really weren't even discussed. It's like we are invisible or something.

My thoughts on why our HC opening is great.
*Number 1 in cap to spend
*Defense is good to go once we sign Ogbah.
*Solid draft picks. Bears don't even have a first rounder.
*Very young, talented team.
*Miami, is an amazing city to live in!

Your thoughts?

Denver are arguably a quarterback away. So as long as their next head coach can get that position filled, then there isn’t a lot of work required to take that team to the next level. However, if they can’t land a QB via trade (Rodger? Wilson?), free agency (no idea who’s available?), or hit lucky in the draft, then they will be stuck in .500 territory.

Las Vegas and Minnesota are win now teams if they keep Carr and Cousins. The Raiders have already made the play offs, so it’s about getting them to the next level. As for the Vikings, it’s fixing the little things to get them over the line in the close contests.

I think we are in the next set of jobs with Jacksonville and Chicago. It all comes down to believing in the young QB that the team has in place. I guess in our case we could still acquire Watson, but in all likelihood it’s down to who you’d prefer out of Tua, Lawrence and Fields.

The Giants are a historic franchise but that part is almost always oversold. There’s a lot of work needed to fix that team. So I’d arguably put them bottom of the list, but because they are the Giants people put them higher, but the other teams all have history and prestige.

I guess there are a few downsides to our job: Grier, isn’t exactly a good GM; Tua, debate over whether he can be more than a game manager and check down Charlie; and Ross, is he going to meddle and be impatient. But that aside, our team does and should have appeal to prospective head coaches.

You would think that coaching our Dolphins would be a great job. Was listening to ESPN radio and they did an entire segment on "Which coaching job would you take".
They had a bunch of different guys on, some X-HCs, some from Sports media and a GM.
No one even mentioned our team.

*Most picked Denver. As they think that team has a great culture built in and is ready to win now if you can get a QB.
*Second was Jaguars due to Lawrence, and great draft picks.
*Third was the Giants due the owners dedication and proven success (4 Superbowls).

Honestly, I was shocked that we really weren't even discussed. It's like we are invisible or something.

My thoughts on why our HC opening is great.
*Number 1 in cap to spend
*Defense is good to go once we sign Ogbah.
*Solid draft picks. Bears don't even have a first rounder.
*Very young, talented team.
*Miami, is an amazing city to live in!

Your thoughts?
Lmao, I wouldn’t take that job if I was starving to death in the street.

Any coach coming in is stuck with a pre existing GM and QB (both of which are not held in high regard for the most part) I think thats a tough ask for a coach. With that being said, I think it would be easier to lure a coach looking for a 2nd chance as opposed to a young up and comer. Absolutely retarded to have Grier involved with picking the coach. If Ross loves him so much, give him a no show job and tell him to stay out of the way.

Any coach coming in is stuck with a pre existing GM and QB (both of which are not held in high regard for the most part) I think thats a tough ask for a coach. With that being said, I think it would be easier to lure a coach looking for a 2nd chance as opposed to a young up and comer. Absolutely retarded to have Grier involved with picking the coach. If Ross loves him so much, give him a no show job and tell him to stay out of the way.
If I was interviewing, I am asking Grier how much say I have in player acquisition. Show me how you and Flores ran things. How many of "his" players did you end up acquiring. I am then going to tell Ross and Grier that QB is MY CHOICE. I am willing to evaluate Tua, but I'm going to do what I want to do. If they say no to these things then I'm out. Simple

I don't know why people would say Miami is undesirable for a HC.

1. Highest cap space of all teams in 2022
  2. Young roster
  3. 17 drafts picks in the next two years including three 1st
  4. 2 of the last 3 seasons were winning seasons
I mean rebuild the line, no big deal, two FA signings and a draft pick and that's completed. Add a WR and sign some of your FA and the team is basically complete. The team is actually in great shape.

Truthfully I don't see why people think we have dysfunction beyond pure personal hatred of Grier and Ross. Flores was an ***.

Onto HC spots- I think we're better than any other. Good Defense built, young players, talent is there offensively- obviously need coaching to bring it out. We have, unbiased evalution, an unproven yet promising in areas Quarterback. Most Cap space to bring in Offensive tools, decent draft capital this year. Should Tua not work, plenty of ability to get whoever in 2023.

Pundits are just dumb imo
If you have only won one playoff game since 2000, that, by definition, is a dysfunctional organization.

The rich owner keeps out of the way and has an open checkbook...

The GM has assembled talent, that if coached correctly, could actually have made the playoffs the past two seasons.

I rarely hear a fan here, there, or anywhere highlight those points. Instead when and wherever I hear these complaints I picture a beauty salon and average looking wives either wondering why they aren't married to Fabio, or average looking wives wondering why their average husbands are just average.

Tua has shown that with any decent amount of time and a receiver being a bit open, he can get that ball where it needs to go. That bomb to Waddle in the TN game was proof. He's always hit on some deep balls.
'Game Manager' has been all about 'situation'; time and somebody open. He's still mostly accurate AF.

If I was interviewing, I am asking Grier how much say I have in player acquisition. Show me how you and Flores ran things. How many of "his" players did you end up acquiring. I am then going to tell Ross and Grier that QB is MY CHOICE. I am willing to evaluate Tua, but I'm going to do what I want to do. If they say no to these things then I'm out. Simple
Sounds good to me

The idea that it’s so easy for Denver to just find a QB is a joke. It’s obviously the most difficult position to fill, maybe in all of professional sports.

The Dolphins experience aside, it’s a hell of a lot easier to find competent offensive linemen. Fix the Dolphins offensive line and you may hit the jackpot and win a division title in your first year as head coach.

Not to mention, I’d rather be dropped into the AFC East than the AFC West. It’s a slightly easier division to win these days.

Ross already stated the new HC will decide the QB position whether it's Tua or someone else.

The biggest negatives to coming here, if I'm being 100% honest, IMO, are:

1) Team's tradition of excellence and winning is LONG removed.
2) Ross is a clown-show of an owner.
3) An HC has back-to-back winning seasons and is dumped with the trash, leash could be viewed as too short.
4) The owner is clueless...wait...already mentioned him. Well, a 2nd shot is warranted.

This is why I believe we'll have a very hard time bringing in a well-respected, experienced HC. First-timers will take damn near any HC job just to get the bump...but they'll take others before this one.

And to throw in a petty reason:

1) The uniforms are ****. They look weak and don't harken back to the team's historic days. Pansy-*** colors. The throwbacks should be the main uniform.

So what are the potential reasons, IMO, to TAKE the job?

1) No state tax.
2) Awesome weather.
3) Lively big, but not too big, city. Did I mention the massage parlors?
4) Pay will probably be very competitive (Ross will throw money at it, plus point 1).
5) Team's cap/draft/FA situation is very workable for the next few years at minimum.
6) Team has very good defensive talent, and fixable/coachable offensive talent.
7) Owner has said the coach will decide the QB situation, and GM said he drafts what the HC wants.

I don't know that the positives outweigh the negatives if I'm looking to enhance my career/status as an NFL HC that has had success elsewhere, particularly if it was in more notable cities/organizations. The coach would have to be very confident in his abilities and not too worried about negatives 1-4.

When I hear an owner is clueless I just zone out. Every team not named the Patriots thinks that for the most part at some point about their owner.

He's done a couple dumb things, but Ross is far from our biggest issue.

The idea that it’s so easy for Denver to just find a QB is a joke. It’s obviously the most difficult position to fill, maybe in all of professional sports.
I think the only reason is that Seattle is probably going to rebuild and sell of Wilson.
Also, Rodgers is supposedly leaving the Packers. When they picked Denver, it was contingent on getting one of those 2 QBs

To get a great head coach, Grier must go. A new GM should be allowed to hire his HC. Flo had just enough control to think he could dump Tua in a fire sale and bring in Watson at huge expense in draft capital. Flo was unable to hire offensive assistants and was inept. Ross is a huge negative. Tua was overrated in college and Herbert should have been picked. Tua can succeed with a better OL and running attack and two more WRs. Next year is about the offense. The defense may take a small step back but not necessarily.

Back
Top Bottom