Miami Cap Problem | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Cap Problem

Megatron said:
That's before the roster bonuses kick in. I'm no expert but cutting a player before the roster bonus kicks in would constitute the savings. They get their signing bonus money no matter what so the logic means we might as well cut Zach the cap hit would be similar.

What guaranteed bonus for Madison? That's the only way a cut before june 1rst would move Sam's contract above the 7.32 million in dead money. If you have some info, please share with Clumpy so he can update the page.

NaboCane said:
How rich. And passive-aggressive as well...you must be a joy to know in real life.

I can agree to disagree, and I can call truce; but don't bait, demean with definitions such as "Madden 2005," and then hide behind ill-disguised false civility.

Good luck in your time here.
Already been here for ages, but you usually treat the new-comers with an obnoxious aggresiveness, which belies your lack of true football knowledge. My civility was genuine, too bad your not man enough to accept it.

Megatron said:
Already been here for ages, but you usually treat the new-comers with an obnoxious aggresiveness, which belies your lack of true football knowledge. My civility was genuine, too bad your not man enough to accept it.

...and yet, I've never been banned.

I have a feeling you can't say the same.

Megatron said:
That's before the roster bonuses kick in. I'm no expert but cutting a player before the roster bonus kicks in would constitute the savings. They get their signing bonus money no matter what so the logic means we might as well cut Zach the cap hit would be similar.
Those guys you see w/ a neg number would cost us even MORE if we cut them. It would be a penalty. For example, cutting Madison would cost us $989,645 than keeping him.

Eshlemon said:
What guaranteed bonus for Madison? That's the only way a cut before june 1rst would move Sam's contract above the 7.32 million in dead money. If you have some info, please share with Clumpy so he can update the page.
I don't have anything he doesn't already have, hell I'm no cap expert or anything. But that Cap savings heading isn't what we would have as a cap hit if Madison was cut. All I know is his contract is signing bonus heavy to keep his cap number down, and that means if he's cut or traded we have to pay out the rest.

jzolnowski said:
I dont understand why everyone keeps suggesting that there is such a horrble cap problem for us this year. The 84 million that they say now is the LOWEST the cap will be. In all actuallity the cap will probably be 90 million. Here is what I see when I look at the cap..... right now we are projected to be at 95,550,914 to me that puts us 5,550,914 roughly over the cap, but lets go with an easy medium and say the cap comes out to 87 million the middle (roughly) between the low and the high even though the last few years its been pretty much at the max with one year even going over the projected max.That would put us7,550,914 so lets say 8 million over. Now lets go and make a few moves.....

QUOTE]

Nice job crunching the numbers...you are an accountant, right??:lol: I would just add one name to your cut list: OLINDO MARE....we could draft Nugent from Ohio State and have a guy who consistently booms kickoffs deep into the end zone and a guy who wont hook a gimme 30 yard kick.

NaboCane said:
...and yet, I've never been banned.

I have a feeling you can't say the same.
That's surprising based on your online demeanor. But I seriously am not into a pissing match with you on this, I don't think you are wrong about the team cleansing at all. I just see it taking a little bit longer than one season.

Saban has to put as good a team as he can on the field next year regardless of his future plans for the team. I see a more gradual purge of the vets, taking over two to three years, rather than an huge one this summer that puts us right out of the free-agent market all together.

I agree 100% with this approach.

Too many of you guys are so young that you can't remember how the NFL has ALWAYS worked, notwithstanding the last 8-10 years with the cap and FA. You have bought into this fiction that a team HAS to tank for 2 years and stockpile all its $$$ and draft picks, to make a "run" for another 3 years, say, and then when that "window of opportunity" closes, then right back to the cellar again until the next "run". You want to have the whole league on a crazy roller-coaster ride, up, down, up, down. That is NOT the historical pattern.

You BANK THIS: this team is going 9-7 or 10-6 NEXT YEAR. Saban knows how to get it done. This team is 3 players away: QB, RB, anchor O Lineman. He will get them. This was the best 4-12 defense EVER in HISTORY, but it was dragged down by a moron coach who wanted to go cheap at the skill positions and play JJ-style "Sneak-n-Squeak" ball. This is still a fairly young team, these guys almost all have 3-4 more good solid yrs. left and Saban will keep almost all of them and make them better players. He will add the needed parts and draft for guys who can get on a progression toward STARTING within a 3-year window, not like wannabe who drafted for 2nd-stringers and backups like Jokemar Fletcher. He is not going to "blow it all up" and have a bunch of rookies out there going 1-15. The ONLY changes I see are ditching Fiedler and Seau and maybe 2 or 3 others who are NOT in key roles. The cap will be increased for all teams. We will NOT be as cash-strapped as a lot think.

We're not that far away. Getting the COACH was the most important thing.

I was sad to see Marion go last season...It is going to be harder to see these other core D# guys go.

NaboCane said:
That's absolutely right; but you must see that we aren't in the usual situation here, contending for the playoffs, hoping for a tilte - we are cellar-dwellers based on last year, and we won't be going anywhere in '05.

So, it's a perfect time now to clear the decks, as CK advocates, and that will let us have plenty of room in '06, when the cap is expected to go to $100M approx.

Then we can be major players, and maybe even get into contention by creating all the room now. In '06 and '07, we will have a team stocked with cap-friendly rookie contracts and team-oriented talent from selective FA signings. That's how we will become a powerhouse again.

Salary cap is NOT likely to go to $100 million. It will depend on the CBA negotitations with respect to how some revenue (luxury boxes) is not part of the DGR (designated gross revenues). NFLPA wants all revenue included in the calculation of the salary cap. Until teams are given further concrete info about the 2006 cap, they should be more prudent.

Clumpy said:
Salary cap is NOT likely to go to $100 million. It will depend on the CBA negotitations with respect to how some revenue (luxury boxes) is not part of the DGR (designated gross revenues). NFLPA wants all revenue included in the calculation of the salary cap. Until teams are given further concrete info about the 2006 cap, they should be more prudent.
Thanks for the clarification Clumpy. Can you please explain what the dead cap is, for next year, if you got the details, not sure if there is enough info yet.

Megatron said:
Thanks for the clarification Clumpy. Can you please explain what the dead cap is, for next year, if you got the details, not sure if there is enough info yet.

No problem

"Dead cap" or "Dead money" is salary cap space that a team must be charged for a player no longer with the team. It's nearly always assc. with signing bonuses paid and player is later released.

Example:

A. J. Feeley signed a 6 yr deal with Miami after being traded from Philly. His signing bonus was $3 million. This is "amortized" or "spread out" over 6 yrs for salary cap purposes. Thus, $3 million/6yrs yields $500,000 on the salary cap each yr. However, say New HC Saban decides that Feeley is not the guy and releases him. He has already been paid the $3 million. Only one yr worth of the bonus, $500,000 in 2004, has come of the books, so to speak. The remaining bonus, $2.5 million, must be accounted for on the cap. If he's released before 6/1, then all remaining $2.5 million counts on 2005 cap as "dead cap". If released after 6/1, then Miami would be charged one yr worth on 2005, $500,000 as "dead cap" and the remaining $2 million as "dead cap" on 2006.

Clumpy said:
No problem

"Dead cap" or "Dead money" is salary cap space that a team must be charged for a player no longer with the team. It's nearly always assc. with signing bonuses paid and player is later released.

Example:

A. J. Feeley signed a 6 yr deal with Miami after being traded from Philly. His signing bonus was $3 million. This is "amortized" or "spread out" over 6 yrs for salary cap purposes. Thus, $3 million/6yrs yields $500,000 on the salary cap each yr. However, say New HC Saban decides that Feeley is not the guy and releases him. He has already been paid the $3 million. Only one yr worth of the bonus, $500,000 in 2004, has come of the books, so to speak. The remaining bonus, $2.5 million, must be accounted for on the cap. If he's released before 6/1, then all remaining $2.5 million counts on 2005 cap as "dead cap". If released after 6/1, then Miami would be charged one yr worth on 2005, $500,000 as "dead cap" and the remaining $2 million as "dead cap" on 2006.
Thanks Clump, just wanted some professional clarification before I go ranting about something.;)

Clumpy said:

Clump, this is why you're the man. Thanks for the clarification.

The point I made in my post remains true nonetheless, albeit not at the figure I thought. A positive cap situation will help the team, obviously.

They can still keep competitive players on the team that are already under contract, that would help the cap as well. The guys they should let go of are the overpaid types ( Freeman, Mare, D. Bowens, Seau ) too much money for not enough return. Either don't resign them, or buy out their contracts. Trades can actually be financially painful in the NFL.

Back
Top Bottom