Miami Cap Problem | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Cap Problem

jzolnowski

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I dont understand why everyone keeps suggesting that there is such a horrble cap problem for us this year. The 84 million that they say now is the LOWEST the cap will be. In all actuallity the cap will probably be 90 million. Here is what I see when I look at the cap..... right now we are projected to be at 95,550,914 to me that puts us 5,550,914 roughly over the cap, but lets go with an easy medium and say the cap comes out to 87 million the middle (roughly) between the low and the high even though the last few years its been pretty much at the max with one year even going over the projected max.That would put us7,550,914 so lets say 8 million over. Now lets go and make a few moves.....

CUT- Feidler=5,430,417 (cmon cant keep him especially with his cap number)
D.Thompson=1,200,000(cant pay a 4th reciever that type of money)
D.Mcintosh=1,200,000(to much $ with little results)
G.Jerman=455,000(replace with new blood)
J.Williams=900,000(opened his mouth and will pay for it)
J.Seau=3,151,250(we have to much talent to pay SR this much)

Total Savings=12,336,667

Restructure
P.Surtain=4,000,000 (his contract can easily be restructured for about 4 million if he doesnt we can trade him and get more cap space but for now I'll take the restructure)
T.Bownes=900,000(easy restructure and he stated(no link) that if he wants to stay with fins and knows he will have to cut pay, so it could even be more but lets take what would be easy to shave)

Total=4,900,000

Both Combined=17,236,667
This would make us 9,236,667 UNDER the cap!

Now with the cuts and evrything combined we would need...
2QBs-1 competitive/1 backup
1RB-competitive starter
1WR-4th string
1C-starter
1LT-starter
1DE-backup
1DT-competitive
1LB-strictly backup
2 roster spots any position

Now as for picks we have 3 first day picks and 3 second day.
Use the 3 second day to fill backup positions...
LB= average rookie late pick=300,000
WR=average rookie late pick=300,000
QB=average rookie late pick=300,000
These are estimated high at a total of 900,000(300,000 is more than any made last year)

For our 1st day draft picks lets say we spend
1st round=2,000,000 (thats higher than all top 4 picks this year except Rivers who is 2,300,000)

3rd round=450,000(more than any third rounder made last year)

4th round=400,000(more than any 4th last year)
This totals to 2,850,000

That means the draft will cost us 3,750,000

Subtract that form the 9,236,667 we were under from cuts and restructures and we now have 5,486,667 left over and we should have solved 6 out of the 11 positions needed Now we can bring in 5 FA .....

1 star(either RB,QB or LT) lets say at 3,000,000 that is more than lamont jordan, edge and anthony thomas all make by MILLIONS and 25,000 less than shaun alexander)(its also millions more than Warner, Plummer, Bledsoe, or brunell made last year with their "somewhat new" teams)( Also millions more than Damien Woody,John Tait, Kyle Turley, Wayne Gandy, and Jeno James made in their first or second year with their new team,the biggest OL changes in the last 2 years)

1 moderate player at (either RB,QB,or OL) at 1,500,000 (I think this is fair based on above numbers where most stars in this category were making 1,000,000 or less last year)

Total=4,500,000

This leaves 986,667 to sign 3 backup FA, that is plenty. As you can see I just solved our "cap problems" and the cap will probably allow us 3 more million dollars. I also only retructured 2 contracts for basically the minimum they can be restructured for(we will probably save more). So fellas all I can say is 2005 could be very bright, we have the money to do it.

I see you want to desperately hold on to surtain and Bowens. Forget it. Too much money and Bowens is done anyways. He was such a waste of money this year. Dude is done. that is reality. Surtain? well....Surtain wont be on Saban's radar when the dealing comes down. He has Will Poole sitting there and a couple of young bucks, who, if they stay healthy, they can play just as well IMO.

People better just prepare for some serious moves to be made here. I fully expect Surtain to be gone, because after further review, i think he and Madison should be gone but Madison redid his deal just in time and he will come later like next year or year after. But make no mistake about it. This total regime is about to be redone in Saban's image. This is going to be about TEAMWORK and not money deals to help our cap this year only to kill us next year.

Cover23 said:
My head hurts
:lol: (Good research BTW. I would have to agree with everything but the Thompson release thing, he has made plays for us all year)

I'd cut Bowens and trade Surtain for some picks. We can get big rookie meat in the draft and Poole looks legit.

fin fan 54.....I think that bowens will be gone also but I wanted to do this with him plotted in so people coudnt argue that he isnt going anywhere, I only cut the people who will almost definitly be cut. As for Surtain it was the situation as Bowens getting rid of him for this arguement would have given me more money and room for more controversey

I didn't want to check your numbers ... it was obviously well research and even though I'm trying to waste time at work right now, I don't have that much time to spend!

But, I would caution the statement on the total salary cap number. If 84M is being stated as the lowest, I don't know if I would stray too far from that. Wasn't it just this year that what was thought to be the salary cap figure was actually too high? And the NFL came back with a lower number than everyone figured the 2005 salary cap figure to be?

chuck cole, the thing is last year they made a record jump, Now I dont think they will make that mistake again. But they are not going to go to the minimum do to the fact that salaries last year were structured around the estimated jump this year and if the nfl made it the minimum this year not only would it be the first time in a long time that they did so but after raising it so high last year to drop it to the minimum this year would be completely unfair. So I would have to assume that in order to offset any mistakes every year they would have to gradually bring the cap towards the minimum instead of jumping to it the following year.

I'm afraid TimBo's days are over as well. We certainly can't rely on him being able to last a season and his cap hit is too high for a guy with serious durability questions.

You're forgetting about dead cap money, like accelerated bonuses and such. If we cut Tim Bowens, his salary still counts against us, and we'd only save about $150,000. when slicing nearly two million. Means we're paying for him anyway.

Fiedler will be gone. McIntosh will be a big hit if we cut him. He may do fine if not slated for left tackle. We need to get a true Left Tackle in the off-season. Personally I watched John St. Claire get his lunch handed to him a bunch on Sunday night. I watched his performance then wondered WHY they didn't have Carey in there.

Guys like Jay Williams should be back for that number. That's not bad for a decent DE in the league.

Keep in mind the cost of cutting some players when configuring your numbers.

Fin Fan, the numbers i posted are taking the dead cap money into play. The numbers I posted are savings not what there salaries are but you are right in the fact that after all of this I did forget to take off 95,214 but that really doesnt make the biggest difference

Gotcha! I agree with the cuts that you have listed, with the exception of D. Thompson. His cap number is too high for a #4, but I would rather restructure. I think he has been one of the brighter spots in a very dim season.

I also think that we should really consider keeping Surtain and Bowens. I think we need to address the OL, RB, and possibly QB situation at the risk of hanging on to Bowens. It really all depends on how the offseason goes (workouts, drafts, trades, etc.) to make a call on Bowens, I think.

If I'm thinking about it right and Boston is due a 3+ million roster bonus, there is no possible way he can stay on this team unless he gives it up. Does anybody know if that bonus that is listed is the sort of bonus we can avoid in that way?

That's big because it suggests to me that we will want to try to extend and restructure DT's deal while bringing in a guy to compete with him for #3.

Back
Top Bottom