Miami Cap Problem | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Cap Problem

We CANNOT GET RID OF MADISON WITHOUT RUINING OUR CAP SITUATION.

Hopefully, that will kill this talk in this thread, which will be comforting for the five minutes that lapse before somebody else mentions it elsewhere...

Wow, some of you people are really intent on throwing Timbo under the bus. And for absolutely no reason.

If he'll take a pay cut to play here, I dont understand why anyone would object to him playing here. I dont know if any of you guys have looked at the draft or FAs, but we're not going to find a lane clogging type DT nearly as good at it as Timbo.

Bowens isnt going to sit there and collect a paycheck if he knows he cant play. He would have retired this season if not for the fact that his doctors told him he'd be able to play football next season with his back.

If the doctors say Tim might be able to play, if he'll restructure, and if he'll show up at camp in better shape than he did this year, I see no reason why we'd want to get rid of him, either. I would want all three, though.

A) Timbo's contract isn't that bad
B) Rosenhaus (his agent) already conceded they may have to restructure to stay
C) Timbo's always taken below market to stay here
D) Timbo isn't done and has one more year in him, maybe 2 where we can groom a replacement.

Agua said:
I'm afraid TimBo's days are over as well. We certainly can't rely on him being able to last a season and his cap hit is too high for a guy with serious durability questions.
He will resign for the vet minimum, we need to keep him around if nothing more than to teach his successor something.

Jimmy James said:
We CANNOT GET RID OF MADISON WITHOUT RUINING OUR CAP SITUATION.

Hopefully, that will kill this talk in this thread, which will be comforting for the five minutes that lapse before somebody else mentions it elsewhere...

How will cutting/trading Madison ruin our salary cap situation? If Sam's gone it will count -$989,645 against the cap. Easily can cover this if we prorate CB Howard's bonus and save 1 million against the cap. We would be eating a lot of money paid to Sam ($7,332,573!) but Saban has been given complete control by Wayne. Saban may want to eat Madison's contract now and have 7.33 million cleared and available for 2006.
I would rather keep Madison over Howard. But Madison & his high cap number may not fit into Saban's future plan for Miami.

BTW: It would be foolish to sign Surtain to a market value extension. Miami was 4-12 with him. Why couldn't y'all survive with Madison, Poole, and Howard as your CBs for a yr? With a move down in rd 1, add some picks and draft another young CB. Thta's not a bad CB corp IMO. It would be wiser to sign a younger (and healthier) McMichael to a market value extension. Trade Surtain for draft choices and start rebuilding.

Eshlemon said:
How will cutting/trading Madison ruin our salary cap situation? If Sam's gone it will count -$989,645 against the cap. Easily can cover this if we prorate CB Howard's bonus and save 1 million against the cap. We would be eating a lot of money paid to Sam ($7,332,573!) but Saban has been given complete control by Wayne. Saban may want to eat Madison's contract now and have 7.33 million cleared and available for 2006.
I would rather keep Madison over Howard. But Madison & his high cap number may not fit into Saban's future plan for Miami.

Rather keep Madison over Howard? Howard was the weak link in the secondary this year...

Clumpy said:
BTW: It would be foolish to sign Surtain to a market value extension. Miami was 4-12 with him. Why couldn't y'all survive with Madison, Poole, and Howard as your CBs for a yr? With a move down in rd 1, add some picks and draft another young CB. Thta's not a bad CB corp IMO. It would be wiser to sign a younger (and healthier) McMichael to a market value extension. Trade Surtain for draft choices and start rebuilding.

What do you think is Surtain's market value? Going into his 8th year after a poor season, Madison restructured for 4 years/18 million. Surtain's going into his 8th year after a poor season. Surtain is year younger going than Sam was for the 8th season but may have "degenerative knees" according to his agent (Why would he say that?). Salary cap will probably increase big time over the next few years but CB's value will decrease under current NFL rules. Surtain at 4yr/20 million?
No matter what, IMO Surtain or Madison will be gone this year. And maybe both depending on how extreme Saban takes the rebuilding process.

hey buddy how about u go outside....this isnt stuff for you to worry about..your 22, go get some a$$, drink with girls, go party, instead of worrying about a cap problem...some of u pple amaze me..lol

Ozzy said:
Rather keep Madison over Howard? Howard was the weak link in the secondary this year...

I don't get your point. Clearly stated I wanted Madison over Howard but future salary cap plans by Saban may make SM expendable. Will he want to keep a 30+ year CB with a cap figure 6+ million beyond this year? If not, keeping Sam this year makes no sense when we won't be competitive. Eat a little cap money now and free up 7+ million for next year.

Face it folks with our current cap situation we are at least two to three years from contending. Remember that there are three teams ahead of us in our division developmentally.

Eshlemon said:
I don't get your point. Clearly stated I wanted Madison over Howard but future salary cap plans by Saban may make SM expendable. Will he want to keep a 30+ year CB with a cap figure 6+ million beyond this year? If not, keeping Sam this year makes no sense when we won't be competitive. Eat a little cap money now and free up 7+ million for next year.
Sam's cap hit will come in two seasons because that's how his signing bonus pays out. Please read Philter's " We can't trade Madison thread ", good reading and again goes over this subject ad nausem.

Megatron said:
Sam's cap hit will come in two seasons because that's how his signing bonus pays out. Please read Philter's " We can't trade Madison thread ", good reading and again goes over this subject ad nausem.
Wrong. Cutting or trading Madison would accelerate all bonuses to 2005, unless the team chooses to do it after 1 June in order to spread it out over two years; their choice.

And that whole thread you referenced - and the accompanying thought process - is also wrong, in addition to shortsighted.

Madison can indeed be traded or released; it is simply a matter of the team's choosing to take the cap acceleration hit now in order to clear future cap money. The team certainly does have that choice, however much and loudly you and the others whose vision is limited to the present chess move crow otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom