Miami Cap Problem | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Cap Problem

cole I agree on Thompson but I dont think the chances sre high of him restructuring so at that cost we have to cut him. Another thing I didnt get into is IF we cut Bowens after 6/1 we save 2,000,000 off the cap so if we do cut him it will be after 6/1(prior to 6/1 his savings would only be 780,000)

jzolnowski said:
cole I agree on Thompson but I dont think the chances sre high of him restructuring so at that cost we have to cut him. Another thing I didnt get into is IF we cut Bowens after 6/1 we save 2,000,000 off the cap so if we do cut him it will be after 6/1(prior to 6/1 his savings would only be 780,000)
Having to wait until 6/1 on Bowens would then give us a chance to figure out what to do with him.

This is why people get paid much more than I to figure this stuff out!

The only real problem I see is keeping Surtain around...It's all going to come down to wether or not he wants to continue to play for the Dolphins...If he is going to want to be the highest paid CB in the league he won't be a Dolphin next year....

As for Bowens, I believe he didn;t want to restructure a few years back, and I doubt he will want to this time around either, so he's almost as good as gone....

Keep in mind we need to keep McMichael around.

Agua said:
I'm afraid TimBo's days are over as well. We certainly can't rely on him being able to last a season and his cap hit is too high for a guy with serious durability questions.

yeah, i mean, even if he were to reduce his number even further, the guy has a bad back and what good is it going to do us for the future? The future is now.

The good news about McMichael is that there are lots of talented TEs out there, which kind of drives his price down. If he were one of just a couple of gamebreakers, we'd have to pay him Tony G. money. He isn't, though -- there are a good 8 or 10 guys on par with or better than he is, and I hope that keeps his price reasonable.

Predaphin said:
The only real problem I see is keeping Surtain around...It's all going to come down to wether or not he wants to continue to play for the Dolphins...If he is going to want to be the highest paid CB in the league he won't be a Dolphin next year....

As for Bowens, I believe he didn;t want to restructure a few years back, and I doubt he will want to this time around either, so he's almost as good as gone....

Keep in mind we need to keep McMichael around.

Actually Pred, Bowens, speaking through that ever loved agent called rosenhasenfeffer, has said that Bowens wants to remain in Miami even if he reduces his pay, or something along those lines. I think they said this cus he is basically done being a full time DT. He was a waste of money this year no matter how cheap he came.

chuckcole said:
Having to wait until 6/1 on Bowens would then give us a chance to figure out what to do with him.

This is why people get paid much more than I to figure this stuff out!

true, there are others who we save more money later too like maybe Konrad. Konrad is such a ***** that Saban wont keep that around. But Timbo's numbers arent a huge deal right now, but will come later unless he passes his physical and reduces his pay. But with his weight a problem, i see more problems unless he shows some serious changes like Chester did in the offseason.

but we cant give him up unless we have a real replacement Bowens for half a season is better than some bum for a whole season.

Predaphin, I do not have a link but Bowens did make a comment recently that he knew if he wanted to stay a fin he would need to restructure. In the same article he said he wants to be in miami. Ill see if I can find the link for you. If Surtain does leave it even furthers my comment that we have enough moneyto play with. Hey phillip Buchannon wants to leave the raiders and he only makes 600,000 so he will be the prime target of any team that wants a corner, he is younger and cheaper and signed through 08 i think

An increased salary cap will hurt, not help our chances at signing an "impact" free agent on offense. When the Dolphins get more money, other teams get more to resign their free agents. Also, teams will have extra money to franchise and transition tag star players.
IMO, in order to sign high priced talent on offense the salary cap has to remain at 84 mill and Miami sacrifice Surtain. Hope I'm wrong because I like Surtain and want to keep him. But don't see the us being able to improve our offense significantly by keeping him.
And you need to add 2 million more for the practice squad fund ($800,000) and injury fund (around 1.2 million).
Although, if we can prorate the bonus to Chambers, James, Carey and Howard that would free up 7.1 million more. Restructure Freeman and Booker for 3 million and that could mean an additional 10.1 million in cap savings. Maybe Surtain can be kept. Depends on how much of the future Saban wants to mortgage.

finfan54 said:
I see you want to desperately hold on to surtain and Bowens. Forget it. Too much money and Bowens is done anyways. He was such a waste of money this year. Dude is done. that is reality. Surtain? well....Surtain wont be on Saban's radar when the dealing comes down. He has Will Poole sitting there and a couple of young bucks, who, if they stay healthy, they can play just as well IMO.

People better just prepare for some serious moves to be made here. I fully expect Surtain to be gone, because after further review, i think he and Madison should be gone but Madison redid his deal just in time and he will come later like next year or year after. But make no mistake about it. This total regime is about to be redone in Saban's image. This is going to be about TEAMWORK and not money deals to help our cap this year only to kill us next year.

Why not "desperately" hold on to Surtain? Shut down corners are imperative and one with the talent of Surtain would be nearly impossible to replace. We DON"T need to get back to the pourus defenses that Marino suffered with back in the 80's!
:shakeno:

Don't forget Mare's 1 million bucks...there's speculation he could be as good as gone..he might cost as much as 2 million next year or no?

xespin said:
Don't forget Mare's 1 million bucks...there's speculation he could be as good as gone..he might cost as much as 2 million next year or no?

Good point. He'll restructure. He's not worth much more than vet min the way he's played the last 2 years (since Bevins left).

What about McMichael...he's due to get a contract this year ?? I have to dissagree about Surtain tho...he is still one of the top 5 or 6 corners...He will probably restucture, although, I thought he restructured this year...I may be confusing with Madison...personally, if we are gonna get rid of a CB, Madison is who it should be...

Back
Top Bottom