Miami Dolphins: 4 Players That Need To Step Up On Defense In 2018 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins: 4 Players That Need To Step Up On Defense In 2018

Interesting list. I’d say we are looking pretty good if the #3 guy that has to step up is one step away from being elite, and #4 is someone who hasn’t even stepped on to the field yet

LB Raekwon McMillan
DT Jordan Phillips
DE Charles Harris
CB Xavien Howard
(basically says he has already stepped up and any improvement would make the #1 shut down corner in the league.)

https://nflspinzone.com/2018/06/17/miami-dolphins-4-players-need-step-defense-2018/3/

Depends on how you define "step up." I can make a reasonable argument X has already stepped up and just needs to continue play as he did the back half of last year. If that is true, the #2 CB needs to step up.
Otherwise, I agree.

Harris would be huge. Howard already has stepped up. McMillan will be fine, he's a great player. Phillips could be the wildcard

Depends on how you define "step up." I can make a reasonable argument X has already stepped up and just needs to continue play as he did the back half of last year. If that is true, the #2 CB needs to step up.
Otherwise, I agree.
This is pretty much what I was thinking. The #2 CB is the one that needs to step up. I'd also list the rookies Minkah, and Baker.

I think the whole defense will need to take a step forward. We've been told there were too many guys doing their own thing last year and in many cases guys were out of position as they were trying to make up for other players. One thing this defense needs is DISCIPLINE. Free lancing needs to be over and everyone just need to do their job.

As far as that list go. RM didn't even play last year so step up from what? Not playing last year?
Harris is the one that really needs to step up as he didn't do much his rookie year.
Phillips did better in 2017 but we all know he needs to be consistent
Howard started playing better the 2nd half of the year. Having a true FS like Minkah should help but what our whole secondary needs is a consistent pass rush in front of them. That would help a lot.

I think the whole defense will need to take a step forward. We've been told there were too many guys doing their own thing last year and in many cases guys were out of position as they were trying to make up for other players. One thing this defense needs is DISCIPLINE. Free lancing needs to be over and everyone just need to do their job.

As far as that list go. RM didn't even play last year so step up from what? Not playing last year?
Harris is the one that really needs to step up as he didn't do much his rookie year.
Phillips did better in 2017 but we all know he needs to be consistent
Howard started playing better the 2nd half of the year. Having a true FS like Minkah should help but what our whole secondary needs is a consistent pass rush in front of them. That would help a lot.

I'll tweak that to agree. Units need to cover each other. LBs need to help the DTs. It didn't help that the LBs were often out of position in the run game. And, you'r right, Fitz should make the CBs better. At the same time, the CBs should make the pass rush better. Getting all 11 on the same page will make the D better. With little evidence, I doubt we'll see the '30% of D plays had a missed assignment" like there were in games last year.

DL's and LB's are weak units on D. If Alonso, Phillips, Godcheaux, and Stephone/Baker play well, we have a good chance of having a top 15 defense. Don't forget we have a long way to go from last years 29th in points allowed.

Hope Philips has a monster year and nets a huge contract in free agency. Gimme that comp pick!! Next years draft is absolutely loaded in dline talent.

I still think we bring in another rotational DT once training camp starts.

Miami is about to not have one, but two alpha, very smart leaders on the defense. Fitzpatrick and McMIllan may not in the beginning show strong leadership because of how young they are, and little time in the lockerroom, but by the time these two reach the final few games, the defense is going to be very sharp where they need to be at all times, and both of them will be directing traffic...McMillan the front 7 (as well as the DBs), Fitzpatrick the secondary (as well as the front 7).

Expect mistakes to go down drastically as the season goes along on defense.

The consensus is that we believe Raekwon will be a good a LB for us, X Howard has already proven he can play at a high level and Jordan Phillips has been really inconsistent and mostly unimpressive. The wildcard and difference maker for us will be Charles Harris. We need him to step up because we need as many pass rushers as possible. Cam wake is getting old and his age can start to show at any moment and who knows what we really have in Robert Quinn. Plus Harris was a 1st round pick. We really need to start hitting on our first round picks.

Back
Top Bottom