Miami Dolphins: 4 Players That Need To Step Up On Defense In 2018 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins: 4 Players That Need To Step Up On Defense In 2018

It's an interesting list. McMillan hasn't played so that's tough to include him there. Miami certainly needs a steady presence in the middle of the defense and McMillan could provide that.

Harris showed more in terms of quarterback pressures than sacks. With Wake now 36 it's important that Harris takes that next step. Phillips is at a key position for Miami as the entire group of defensive tackles need to play better to help offset the loss of Suh. I think that's the biggest question mark for the season actually.

Agree that Howard has already stepped up. He has a chance to be one of the better corners in the league.

Yes, a head coach who had his team in the playoffs year 1 and lost his starting QB in year 2 needs to step up.

Totally logical.

It is logical when he has shown he can't manage his players and then trades superstar players for non football related issues, but I guess we cant all cherry pick our arguments.

He has also missed on all of his old retreads from former teams that he has forced this team to acquire.

"Hey everybody! Guess what? Adam Gase took us to the playoffs his first year here, that means he is infallible and can do no wrong."

Dont get drunk on Kool Aid. He has a lot to prove, and Burke much more.

Last edited:
It is logical when he has shown he can't manage his players and then trades superstar players for non football related issues, but I guess we cant all cherry pick our arguments.

He has also missed on all of his old retreads from former teams that he has forced this team to acquire.

"Hey everybody! Guess what? Adam Gase took us to the playoffs his first year here, that means he is infallible and can do no wrong."

What superstar did the Dolphins trade?

Davon Godchaux and Jordan Philips need to be on that list. There really isn't a lot of pressure on Harris, he could be the 4th-5th end on the team this year.

Oh, so other teams can let their expensive and talent FAs walk because they're too much money but when Miami does it, it's inherently wrong?

I'm guessing you've never been in a locker room or work place that didn't have chemistry and felt cancerous. It brings down the whole ship.

So when KC gave up Marcus Peters because he was a locker room cancer...was that wrong? What about when Randy Moss was traded multiple times in a several year span...was that wrong?

Are you advocating paying a slot receiver $15M a year, when if the team targeted him more the team won less?

Or I suppose Miami should let all of that **** happen in the locker room, like Suh not following assignment or Ajayi having a temper tantrum after wins, so you can show other players in the locker room that ANY behavior they exhibit is without consequence.

Leadership is a myth, and every single organization that has ever prioritized leadership has ultimately failed. (that's sarcasm, by the way).

Miami is about to not have one, but two alpha, very smart leaders on the defense. Fitzpatrick and McMIllan may not in the beginning show strong leadership because of how young they are, and little time in the lockerroom, but by the time these two reach the final few games, the defense is going to be very sharp where they need to be at all times, and both of them will be directing traffic...McMillan the front 7 (as well as the DBs), Fitzpatrick the secondary (as well as the front 7).

Expect mistakes to go down drastically as the season goes along on defense.
This to a T, this reason alone will be why our defense is drastically better

Oh, so other teams can let their expensive and talent FAs walk because they're too much money but when Miami does it, it's inherently wrong?

I'm guessing you've never been in a locker room or work place that didn't have chemistry and felt cancerous. It brings down the whole ship.

So when KC gave up Marcus Peters because he was a locker room cancer...was that wrong? What about when Randy Moss was traded multiple times in a several year span...was that wrong?

Are you advocating paying a slot receiver $15M a year, when if the team targeted him more the team won less?

Or I suppose Miami should let all of that **** happen in the locker room, like Suh not following assignment or Ajayi having a temper tantrum after wins, so you can show other players in the locker room that ANY behavior they exhibit is without consequence.

Leadership is a myth, and every single organization that has ever prioritized leadership has ultimately failed. (that's sarcasm, by the way).

A locker room cancer?! They never called Landry that until he left. Did he **** on us when he left, yes, but no news of him causing issues in the lockerroom ever surfaced before then.

You mentioned Randy Moss being released by incompetent franchises who couldnt manage talent like the Raiders and Minnesota... and then what happened? He lands on a competent team who enables him to break records he never could with bad coaching and management. You are making my argument look better. In this comparison the Dolphins are the Raiders and Adam Gase is the coach who cant use the talented players he has only to replace them with worse players.

You woulnt pay Landry 15 milliin a year. Possibly one of the greatest slot receivers of all time, but you would give 16 million to Wilson and Amndola who are unproven commodities and less talented.

I imagine you are going to say Randy Moss only broke those records because of Tom Brady and the New England system, well that knife cuts both ways. If that is the case for Moss that is the case for Amendola. Meaning we overpaid a medicore often injured receiver much more than anyone offered expecting him to replicate the success he had with a hall of fame quarterback and coach. I may have never been a part of a locker room (which I have been) as you say, but anyone thinking other wise hasnt been a part of reality.

Last edited:
I don't think stepping up is the right cliche'.

I imagine them feeding off each other's energy.

I think it will hinge on Raekwon and Minkah. If they take care of their respective units, our defense should be sound.

Back
Top Bottom